Sting and his ultra controversial video

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Justice, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    "The video for Prince's new song "Cinnamon Girl" is causing quite a stir before it's even been released, as it follows the hardships of a teen Arab-American girl in a post 9-11 America. The clip, directed by video veteran Phil Harder, features Oscar-nominated Whale Rider star Keisha Castle-Hughes as an Arab-American girl who is fed up with the anti-Arab sentiments she encounters in everyday life. Disillusioned and angered, New Zealander Castle-Hughes' character detonates a bomb in an airport terminal, exploding herself and others. But a reverse motion immediately following the explosion reveals that it is only a thought of hers. Prince, who only appears in the video intermittently, sings, "Cinnamon girl mixed heritage / Never knew the meaning of color lines / 9-11 turned that all around / When she got accused of this crime." The video will premiere in America next week."

So... it's because of racial intolerance Sting has found it acceptable for someone to kill hundreds of innocent people... or if not acceptable at least he is suggesting it is our fault there are suicide bombers...

2. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    That's pretty interesting. I haven't heard of it until now, but I'll be watching out for it. I'm not too familiar with Sting's stuff (only The Desert Rose, which I love! :D ) and I don't know anything about the guy, so I can't really comment :(

3. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    There is often more then one side of the story, though many sides are overlooked too easy. 9/11 has made the world a worse place to live in for the Muslims, even more so then for the general American citizen. I think Sting wants us to take that in account before judging.