Steven Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Rumble_Belly, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Rumble_Belly

Rumble_Belly Rumble Belly

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ive just started to read the following book : Steven Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever
    Ive found it to to very descriptive in the opening chapters and also quite heavy going. has anyone read the book?

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I started it, but lost interest about a third of the way into it because I didn't like the protagonist.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The Covenant books are heavy going because the themes are rather heady for the fantasy genre.
    Greybeard says he quit the first book because he didn't dig the protagonist... that's because Thomas is everything but the typical stamped out epic character. As the story progresses you'll find he can be very unlikeable, he in fact spends chapter after chapter denying his responsibilities to the alternate world he finds himself in and shirking off his experiences as unreal. You're not supposed to like Thomas, you're meant to see yourself through him.

Stick with the story, you'll understand more of it as you get along.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I've started and go part way through, but got distracted by other authors and books - I agree that as a protagonist the main character is very unlikable, and yet curiously real in his assessment of the fantasy world he is drawn into. It is somewhat heavy going with this respect - a book that needs the right frame of mind to push on and get to the end

5. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I read the series years ago, and agree with the above posters, it is heavy going and has an unlikeable main character, However it is (was) a proverbial breath of fresh air into a relatively stale genre. I find a lot of nuances between Donaldson and Goodkind's stories, and both are hard work!! (in fact I never finished the Sword of Truth series).
    However Donaldson seems to worth the effort!!