Staves

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Doombringer, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys... who plans to get one of the new staves coming out?

Gandalf the White's staff looks cool... solid wood, ships in two pieces.

Saruman's staff is solid metal, also shipping in two pieces. They both look like sturdy, well-made pieces. I wonder if UC is making them or if they outsourced to Windlass...

2. Witchking

Witchking Undead Ringer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd love both. It's great that they're made in 2 pieces - we can recreate the Gandalf casting out Saruman scene a little more easily now.

3. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want Sarumans definatley. But I think that I would hold out on Gandalf the White's and see if they will make Gandalf the Gray's. If UC doesn't then I guess I will buy the Noble Collection one. Either way I like that staff better than the White one.

I wonder what the display is going to look like for them??? Anyone have an idea? Floor stand maybe?

4. gandalf23

gandalf23 The White Wizard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you look at the links ont he blades by brown website the plaques are there. they are metal with a design and 2 prongs sticking out to hold the staff.

I am planning on getting the White Staff, yet in the picture the top of the staff is not connected as in the movie. the design ends, instead of connects as a whole.
    I will try to get a pic of both the replica and the movie to explain... if someone else can find one before me then please post it...

-jc

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  5. gandalf23

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    here is what i could find. left is the UC version ,right is a pic from theonering.

What do you guys think...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  6. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    THeres not much of a difference.

7. gandalf23

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you look at the top of the staff you can see that the tip of the replica is different to the movie prop.

I agree that it is not too much, but hopefully the final replica will be exact.

8. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm definitely getting the white staff. It will look great on the wall next to Anduril...

I'm rather impatiently awaiting the staffs to ship out. Hurry up, UC!

9. Nathan

Nathan Wielder of the Flame

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting the White staff. Then if costume-repro manufacturers make Gandalf the White's costume, I'll get that too, then I'll have fun on Halloween.

10. Boromir Of Gondor

Boromir Of Gondor Aragorn was a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally like Sarumans staff more than Gandalfs staves. It has a more spikey evil authority. It looks longer and thinner than Gandalfs and has more of a sense of power in a great showing off way not a conservative way.

11. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I like Saruman's staff too. it was originally my favorite, and the one I intended to get.

But Gandalf's staff has grown on me over the past two movies, and I now like it a lot.

12. Boromir Of Gondor

Boromir Of Gondor Aragorn was a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My top priority is swords at the moment, since i have none and only 1 on preorder. But perhaps sometime in the future when i have more swords i may slip into staves.

13. Saruman

Saruman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed an error with the UC Saruman Staff aswell. If you look at images from the movie, you'll see that the bottom end of the staff comes to a point with a ring around it about a foot from the bottom. In the photos on the Blades by Brown website showing the full length of the staff, you can see that the bottom is flat, not at a point, and it doesn't have the ring round it. I wonder if they know this? I hope so because I want my replica to be 100% exact copy, especially as they aren't going to be cheap.

14. thistleknot

thistleknot Mighty Kender of Slaying

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, looking at the replica picture and the movie picture, it just looks like the angle of the staff is different... It looks like there is three leaf design things that come together. The replica picture has it turned so you're seeing one of them and the indentations underneath them are at the sides of the staff, the one in the movie picture is turned so that two of the leaves are facing the camera with the other one directly behind it. To really compare, we would have to see them at the same angle.

15. gandalf23

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    here is another pic i found at the BBB site, it has 2 leafs showing...best i could do.

if you look at the previous pic posted of the replica you can see that in the back is he indentation and it just ends and does not come to a point as with the movie prop.

as for this one you can see that the indentation comes to an end and does not come to a point at the tip.

ah well i will still buy it...i may be the only one that sees it.

Attached Files:

16. DragonTamer

DragonTamer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there are so many of these on the market. Have you guys seen the ones with lights in them that when you grab them they glow they're really cool made of resin but cool, I think franklin mint has them, or oh what is that place called,,,,,,,, brain fart,,,, oh noble collection. that's it.

17. HybridK03

HybridK03 KID A

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have both on order. Hopefully they are here by the end of February.

18. Foe Hammer

Foe Hammer Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    gandalf23, you're right about the Gandalf the White staff. It is not accurate. I was excited when I heard that UC was making them, but then I was turned off when I saw the pics and saw immediately that they are not accurate. Don't get me wrong, they do look quite nice, but I like movie accuracy. Same thing with Saruman's: the crystal looks way too small and the staff doesn't come to a point at the end.

19. Fingolfin

Fingolfin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Having seen the sword props from the movies i can tell you that the UC replica's are actually better, with more detail wrought into them

20. Foe Hammer

Foe Hammer Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think the swords are great. I agree that they did improve on them, but with the staves I think that they are not better. Still nice, just not what I was expecting.