Starting Point Question

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Calarustithil, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I am a newb...
    I am interested in starting some leather projects and I want to be able to do some a little embossing and tooling and I was wondering if anyone could give me some links to instructional sites or starting point types. I would like to make som Boromir style vambraces with the wing style pattern. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Calarustithil

2. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm hopefully going to be making some Boromir bracers soon. I'll tell you how it goes and give any advice I can after I'm done.

3. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    good luck guys, these bracers are very difficult to make ! belive me, i tried and still not finished them .... :(

4. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You have any advice? Or at least what not to do? :)

5. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well, no, sorry ....

i just dont know how to get these very deep "wings" into the leather, i have no idea what to use !?
    i tried a soldering iron (is that the right word ?), but it didnt work so well ...

6. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Good question for starting point. There is a great book by Al Stolman, the father of modern leather carving, called Leather Tooling. Tells you how to use all the leather carving tools. Sold by Tandy Leather. In brief form here is the technique: First draw the pattern you desire on tracing paper. Use the type used in leather working though. It has a plastic feel to it and stands up to water. Next wet the leather. Put it in a water bath until the small bubbles stop coming off it, about 5 minutes. Let it drip dry until it is damp to the touch. Trace your pattern onto the leather using a round pointed stylus. Next, using a swivel knife (special leather working tool) cut around your pattern. Then using a beveler tool, bevel the edges around the cuts. Beveling "lifts" the pattern off the leather. I usually then use a stipple pattern or other type of backgrounder tool in the non-pattern areas. This helps to accent the pattern you raised. Let the whole project air dry. Then add your hardware, i.e. buckels, etc., and dye to taste. I would recommend using an alchol based dye. Water based dyes, while cheaper, come off on your clothing or you when worn. Then cover the whole project with Super Sheen (Tandy Leather/Leather Factory) or Febieng's Bag Balm (Leather Factory). Let the project fully dry between applications of dye and final coats. On the final coat, buff the project with a patch of sheep wool. A nice fluffy towel works as well. For a professional touch you can burnish the edges. When the leather is wet rub the edges with a flat plastic item, i.e. a large mixing spoon from the kitchen. Rub until the leather is smooth. To custom fit the bracers, after they are completed spray the insides with water until slightly damp. While damp put the bracers on, form fit them to your arms, then wear them dry. Of course time will do this for you.

Good luck and post your results here for the rest of us!!!