Star Wars rumors

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by kartaron, Aug 23, 2004.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Rumors that Lucas will make Episodes 7-9 (after Return of the Jedi)
    ------
    It is being rumored that ILM is making their employees sign Non Disclosure Agreement's saying that they will not discuss Star Wars EP7, 8, or 9. Since they're not being made, why the NDA's?
    ------
    According to an European magazine which has an interview with Peter Mayhew, who plays Chewbacca. In his contract it said he has to be committed for Episode 7-9 as well as Episode III.
    ------
    It's very very early days yet, but apparently there is some talk, even to the point of Mr Spielberg - who was interested in doing 'Clones' at one point - stepping in for Lucas, who may want to write, but probably won't want to direct the rest. If Lucas doesn't they'll probably work out a deal for say Frank Darabont to pen write three films following Return of the Jedi.
    ------
    Pacific Title employees working at Skywalker Ranch have just signed new contracts to run until 2012. Pacific Title are an optical and digital effects production company and the extended contacts are a carry over from their work on Episode II & III.

Hmmm. By 2012 you could probably make a whole new trilogy...

Just remember... rumors

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=24621

http://darkhorizons.com/

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16780

2. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    We've all been relatively excited at the possible news on Ep. VII, VIII & IX. However, as most things that sound this good often turn out to be...this news as of late may be untrue. Here's why:

_____________________________________________________________________________

For a few days now the talk of the Net seems to have been the reports that movement on the sequel trilogy to "Star Wars" has been happening after a report popped up at TheForce.Net indicating that employees at Lucas' FX company, Industrial Light & Magic, have signed non-disclosure agreements that legally prevents them from discussing anything associated with Episodes 7-9.

Now E! Online has some further information. A rep for Lucasfilm has, at least on official levels, canned any possibility of any more films. About this talk, spokeswoman Lynn Fox says "The rumors are absolutely untrue...Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith is our last and final installment". Fox also confirmed no non-disclosure was ever signed pertaining to future episodes.

Nevertheless the ForceNet guys are sticking to their guns, editor Josh Griffin saying about the rumours they first published - "Obviously, there is some movement on episodes on VII, VII and IX. It's obviously something to do with special effects...There's absolutely no reason to do that unless they have something to disclose". They also say an Australian source has confirmed talk of Lucas' desire to shoot the films Down Under like he did with the last two prequels.

~DarkHorizons.com

3. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    TheForce.net posted a story last week that Lucasfilm employees had signed a non-disclosure agreement regarding Episodes VII, VIII and IX giving Star Wars fans everywhere hope that Revenge of the Sith would not be the final installment of the series. E! online later refuted the story when they spoke to Lucasfilm spokesman Lynn Fox who said "The rumors are absolutely untrue, Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith is our last and final installment." She was also very adamant that Lucas would not pass the franchise on to another director.

Clint over at Moviehole also talked to John Singh from Lucasfilm who said "The rumors of "Star Wars" VII, VIII and IX are absolutely false. "Star Wars" Episode III: "Revenge of the Sith" is being released worldwide on May 19, 2005, is our last and final installment. ILM employees sign a standard non-disclosure agreement that does not pertain to any particular film or project."

So we wont see Star Wars sequels, right? Hold on, wait a minute. I received an email from one of our sources deep inside the world of LFL who is backing up TheForce.net's claim that there is indeed rumblings up in "The Ranch" regarding the rumored sequels. We were told that "Uncle George" isn't planning to make anymore theatrical movies but he is looking at a possible animated TV series that might take advantage of Lucasfilm's new Singapore animation venture that was announced a few weeks ago. That is the only way that we will ever see Luke, Han, Leia and the rest of the gang in any new adventure that would take place after Jedi.

I was also reminded by our "friend" over at LFL of our video interview that we had with Steve Sansweet at Comic-Con last month where he clearly stated that they are indeed looking at several different avenues for Star Wars including animated and live action weekly TV (Click here for the video interview).

George has allowed other people to direct Star Wars in the past and I truly believe that any future live action TV series would be no different. So will we see the sequels in one way or another? George is no idiot and Star Wars is to big of a cash cow to let it go. There will be more Star Wars after Revenge of the Sith.

http://iesb.net/movies/movie82704.htm

4. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    keep up the good work kartaron.

5. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    A live action TV show? Intresting. But at one point or another Lucas is going to need to retire. But like they he has let other's direct the movies. But I have my doubts. Besides a lot is covered (as far as I know) after Return of the Jedi by the books and the video games which are both aproved by Lucas so they are pretty much offical to the storyline.

6. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Most successful directors work well past retirement age even to the point of death. Hitchcock, Kubrick, Wells and Kurosawa (a hero of Lucas' ) were working on movies at the time of their death. As for the books, Lucas has shown a willingness to change Star Wars history to suit his most recent whim. See SW SE.

That said I still give it less than a 50% chance of being true

7. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Rather than start a new thread, I'll sneak this bit in here, folks.

Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is expected to make an appearance in theaters near you before the year's end. How so? Well before any good trailer, there is always a good teaser. And you can expect yours in November, attached to The Incredibles on the 5th. The same was done for "Episode II" and was attached to Monsters, Inc.

~DarkHorizons.com

8. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've decided to just let things that would happen and not think about it too much...

But at this point, if NDAs are really signed (that might not be the case), there really is no point in asking for official confirmation, why? What's the point of a NDA if the guy who signed it can tell you that it was signed and what it was about? So, of course the official word from any of Lucas's cronies and companies would be that nothing had happened, because they can't talk about it...

9. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    But right now I would think that Ep VII, VIII and IX are unlikely. Ranger of Gondor said, a lot of post-Jedi events were covered by comics and the like. There wasn't much novels or comics written about things before Ep iV because Lucas always knew he would be making Epi I-III. The question is of course when did he (supposedly) decide to not make VII-IX, and did he leave enough room to fit them into the existing continuity, while leaving the comics and novels etc intact

10. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    This past Wednesday, ComingSoon.net had the opportunity to attend Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment's roll-out of the "Star Wars Trilogy" DVD set (Coming Sept. 21st.) One of the surprise guests at the event was Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill. He ended up being one of the highlights of the presentation as he enthusiastically recalled humorous anecdotes about the making of the original films, working with Kevin Smith, seeing TROOPS for the first time, and more.

However, his comments towards the end about Episodes 7, 8, and 9 really got everyone's attention. Mark told those in attendance what Lucas told him the third trilogy would be about. Hamill also went into detail about Lucas' original plans for those films, when they would be made, and more. Plus, Lucasfilm's Jim Ward confirmed that a "Star Wars" TV series is on the way in the near future (though he didn't say when it would be set).

comingsoon.net

“He talked about doing a VII, VIII, IX,” Hamill began. “You know when I first did this, it was four trilogies. 12 movies! And out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing. I said, ‘Why are you starting with IV, V and VI? It’s crazy.’ [Imitating Lucas grumble,] ‘It’s the most commercial section of the movie.’ He said the first trilogy’s darker, more serious. And the impression I got, he said, ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ This is 1976. ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ I defy anyone to add 36 years to their lives and not be stunned. Even an eight year old is like, ‘No, I’ll never be 47.’ So I did the math and figured out how old I’d be. I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope.’ And I’m thinking, ‘I love the guy. If he wanted me to do light yard work at his house, I’d be out clipping the hedges.’ So I went, ‘Sure.’ But I thought he just realized that he’s going to be doing it the rest of his life and he’d rather not do that.”

iesb.net

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  11. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Our Lucasfilm insider has chimed in once again with a very interesting tid bit. It seems more likely that Revenge of the Sith, the last of the Star Wars feature films will be rated PG-13. It seems that George is open to having the last of the prequels break from tradition and be the first of the Star Wars films to not have a PG rating.

George in the past has always said that Star Wars films were catered to kids but acknowledges that to make ROTS PG would take away from the story and wouldn't be convincing to movie goers. It will be darkest of the series and we will see plenty of deaths unlike any of the previous films. George also recently spoke about the MPAA rating with MTV, " All the good guys die," he said, laughing. "And you know, it's pretty dark. It's pretty intense. I'm not sure this one is going to end up a PG like the others were."

We have also been told the departure from a PG rating is also a sign of things to come on the future TV series. The live action TV series will be catered to adults and not to children. Lucasfilm is planning for more of a drama with great special effects then a wam bam sci-fi action TV show. It will be more character driven then any of the previous films, but that George does not want Star Trek style series.

Lucas has also denied any intention to do further episodes os Star Wars. Recent rumors have hinted at preproduction on three more movies.

iesb.net

12. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Seems the troops at TheForce.net were right - despite the Lucasfilm defense attack - there is indeed something going on in terms of "Star Wars" sequels.

A couple of months back the site heard that Lucasfilm employees had been asked to sign a confidentiality agreement which stipulated that they had to stay zipped about Episodes 7, 8 and 9 - a sequel trilogy that would take place following the events of "Return of the Jedi".

Lucasfilm were quick to debunk the claim.

This week however I've talked to two very, very reliable insiders - one studio based, another connected to the cast of the original films - who claim that Lucas is indeed going to be doing the three sequels. "They're happening. They're already happening", one said "The three films are all in various stages of development as we speak. They're keeping them quiet for the meantime I believe, but Lucas has four more Star Wars films to deliver to Fox".

It's common practice for everyone to keep their mouths shut until its time to officially announce something apparently.

A few weeks back it was suggested - on IESB - that the sequels might actually be animated films, which would make sense, but we couldn't confirm that.

iesb.net

13. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    A&E is airing a shortened version of the new documentary on the upcoming Star Wars DVDs. We've seen it, and while it is definitely just the tip of the iceberg of the archival footage, you wan't want to miss it! For details and plenty of other coolness be sure to check out the link above!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, George Lucas launched the most successful movie franchise ever created. We look at how the "Star Wars" trilogy changed movie-making, catapulted Harrison Ford to stardom, and made director George Lucas a legend. For Lucas, what began as a quest for creative freedom became a philosophy, a cultural phenomenon, and an empire of dreams. Features film clips, screen tests, and interviews with Lucas, Ford, Steven Spielberg, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher.

A&E
    "Star Wars: Empire of Dreams"
    September 12th 2004
    8pm (Eastern Time)

theforce.net

14. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Concerning the posibility of an R rated Episode III

as much as I like the guys over at InlandEmpireStrikesBack, they are wrong, wrong, wrong about the rating of STAR WARS: REVENGE OF THE SITH. George Lucas is locked into merchandising contracts that have been in place since he started production on the prequels, and those contracts state in no uncertain terms that he must deliver a PG rated film next May. There’s no wiggle room about it, either. You’re talking about a decision that affects hundreds of millions of dollars in potential Lucasfilm income, and they’re not about to blow off those partners, including Hasbro. Besides, Lucas has proven time and again that he’s good at talking the MPAA into giving him a lower rating than he deserves. Trust me on this one... PG. Absolutely.

15. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    George Lucas never figured on a 30-year career as a space pilot. Once “Star Wars” shot into hyperspace, though, he found it hard to come back down to Earth.

Making its DVD debut Tuesday, Lucas’ original sci-fi trilogy — “Star Wars,” “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi” — began as an experimental foray into old-time studio moviemaking for Lucas, whose first two films had been far removed from usual Hollywood sensibilities.

Lucas’ sci-fi satire “THX 1138” had been a commercial dud, but the energetic “American Graffiti” with its driving soundtrack and multi-character point of view scored with audiences, giving the director clout to try something bigger that had been on his mind.

Three decades later, Lucas is preparing to launch the last of his six “Star Wars” films. Next summer brings “Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith,” completing the prequel trilogy that tells the story of young Anakin Skywalker’s metamorphosis into the villainous Darth Vader of the original three films.

Fans have eagerly awaited the first three “Star Wars” films on DVD, a release Lucas initially intended to delay until he finished “Episode III.”

Some will be miffed that the original theatrical versions are not included in the “Star Wars” boxed set, which features only the special-edition versions Lucas issued in the late 1990s, with added effects and footage, including a scene between Harrison Ford’s Han Solo and crime lord Jabba the Hutt in the first “Star Wars.”

AP: Why did you rework the original trilogy into the special-edition versions in the late 1990s?

Lucas: To me, the special edition ones are the films I wanted to make. Anybody that makes films knows the film is never finished. It’s abandoned or it’s ripped out of your hands, and it’s thrown into the marketplace, never finished. It’s a very rare experience where you find a filmmaker who says, “That’s exactly what I wanted. I got everything I needed. I made it just perfect. I’m going to put it out there.” And even most artists, most painters, even composers would want to come back and redo their work now. They’ve got a new perspective on it, they’ve got more resources, they have better technology, and they can fix or finish the things that were never done. ... I wanted to actually finish the film the way it was meant to be when I was originally doing it. At the beginning, people went, “Don’t you like it?” I said, “Well, the film only came out to be 25 or 30 percent of what I wanted it to be.” They said, “What are you talking about?” So finally, I stopped saying that, but if you read any interviews for about an eight- or nine-year period there, it was all about how disappointed I was and how unhappy I was and what a dismal experience it was. You know, it’s too bad you need to get kind of half a job done and never get to finish it. So this was my chance to finish it.

AP: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

Lucas: The special edition, that’s the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it’s on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I’m not going to spend the, we’re talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn’t really exist anymore. It’s like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I’m sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I’m the one who has to take responsibility for it. I’m the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they’re going to throw rocks at me, they’re going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.

AP: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

Lucas: Not really. The movies are what the movies are. ... The thing about science-fiction fans and “Star Wars” fans is they’re very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I’m making the movies, so I should have it my way.

AP: After “Episode III,” will you ever revisit “Star Wars”?

Lucas: Ultimately, I’m going to probably move it into television and let other people take it. I’m sort of preserving the feature film part for what has happened and never go there again, but I can go off into various offshoots and things. You know, I’ve got offshoot novels, I’ve got offshoot comics. So it’s very easy to say, “Well, OK, that’s that genre, and I’ll find a really talented person to take it and create it.” Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else’s way of doing it. I don’t mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6011380/

16. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Gary Oldman has pulled out of the next Star Wars movie because he refuses to work overseas illegally. The Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban star had agreed to be the voice of evil Jedi knight killer General Grievous in Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, but quit the production because it was made outside the Screen Actor's Guild rules. Oldman's spokesman explains, "Gary was excited and looking forward to working on the film. The snag is that the movie is being made without members of the Screen Actor's Guild. It means Gary would have been working illegally overseas. Out of respect and solidarity with the other members, he could not and would not consider violating the rules of his union."

imdb.com

17. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ah, bummer. i love Gary Oldman. Are they really gonna call it revenge of the sith?

18. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    official title, yep

19. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hey folks, Harry here -- we've been hearing the news of Gary Oldman exiting stage left on George Lucas due to his grievances regarding George's SAG violations, and due to those grevious issues, he felt unable to continue with Grevious.... But one grumpy dwarf later and all is well? We'll see...

The most interesting thing happened during a Rhys-Davies' discussion. Someone asked if he would be doing any more voice work after playing Treebeard in LotR, or something along those lines. He said:

"I'm doing some next month, in fact. Let's say the working conditions are ...Grevious."

Now I'm not sure if that's an exact quote, but he certainly did drop that last word. He seemed to give a little wiggle of the eyebrows too, though it might just be my imagination.

Aint it cool news

20. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0