Star Wars RPG

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Padmé, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    exactly what i was questioning, having characters as sith or jedi when the empire is around, after all, 'always two there are, no more, no less' as yoda puts it for the sith, so no one can be them if you are RPing all the main characters.

And any would be in hiding.

Also it would be difficult and clumsy to dance around all the fvents that happen within that timeframe without ruinign some of the 'magic' to it.

I just think, if its set between the kotor era and the current era, all the potions are open, but there are still limits, theres the jedi council still to rule over the jedi, and the sith can plot in secret etc. there was the sith army in kotor that would function fine on its own as the replacement for the empire.......and who really wants to be a storm trooper anyway?

its just, since the whole timeframe isnt fleshed out we can be more flexible, but as the creator of the RPG you can still place limits if you see neccesary.

Anyway star wars is always cool, lightabers are enough to tempt me into this RPG.

Can I be a Grey Jedi by any chance?

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Again it's like Anakin said, the reason we deiced to give it no specific timeline cause it would ruin some elements for people. Knight of the Old Republic era would not interest everyone, sure it's cool enough in the game, but we want something more original.

We don't want to limit people in their choices, you say "no one wants to be a stormtrooper", as one job? Maybe not, but we mix..... We're trying to give it a complexity. And stormtrooper is the starting point, eventually you will be able to be an ARC trooper and command your own squad.

If we set it in a particular timeline, its not going to appeal to all.... Even me, if there was a KOTOR RPG, I wouldnt be interested.... I like things that relate more to the movies.... And alot of people who enjoy RPGs may not neccessarily know anything other than Star Wars movies, they may not be experienced with the EU.... So we're giving it a nice blend.

Concerning "always 2 there are, no more no less". That was relevant to the Sith during the Republic and Empire eras, but in KOTOR for exmaple, there was no limit to Sith OR Jedi. so we have that element too. So that we can have a battle between Sith and Jedi..... Which would result in an ultimate winner ruling the galaxy in the sense the sense that the Jedi do concerning their "power" in the prequels. There could be a Sith Council and so forth (which according to the Ep IV book by Lucas is exactly what Vader wanted.... A Sith Council, with him in the Mace Windu job...... ) So it's true to the values of Star Wars.

Concerning magic being lost? No no. For me the magic of Star Wars was lost in KOTOR, but people like it.... So I appreciate that. Don't get me wrong, I liked the game, but it didnt feel like Star Wars to me.

Look at a game like Star Wars Galaxies..... It is set during the Empire but there can be countless of Sith and Jedi..... as well as other professions. So you could compare this RPG with that. Rather than with KOTOR.

If it works for Lucasarts.... Then I think it will certainly work for us :)

3. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    its just i find the fact that having all these elements out of place seems to detract from the credibility of the star wars theme, I just like it with no specific timeline at all, so its in an ambiguous era, like just before episode 1 and so on, overuse of characters and events would be a bad thing in my opinion.

4. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    If we made it before Ep I or so forth then we would lose interest of people.... This way options are still open.

It would feel MORE like Star Wars, especially involving main characters. It's just to give a nice sense of interaction and to make the player feel as though they are really inside the Star Wars universe.....

Before Ep I..... let's face it, nothing happened..... it would just be boring. The most interesting events are those that revolve around the movies, and it is these that most are familiar with, and again like I said before, it is because of this reason that we decided to open it up and not restrict people from choosing a career that they want.

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    If we would set it in a timeline, that wouldnt exist yet, we would have to create a LOT more characters for the RPG which would be creative but, like Padmé said, it wouldnt be really Star Wars.... it would be our version of what we THINK should be there.... Rather than what really is.

I mean, I think players will enjoy interaction with characters such as Darth Vader, boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt and so forth. They don't HAVE to, but the option is there. And we even want to give them a choice, so that they later could become one of these characters and help other players.

You could still play the game with your original created character but being one of these main characters would be very interesting I think.

The reason why we went for Empire and not Republic is because of public interest. Everybody loves the original trilogy..... but opinions are divided about the prequels. That is why we went for the Empire. But for those who do love prequel concepts, we have the Jedi Council, Royals of Naboo, Politicians etc We want to give people more options.

The player should have the right to take any path they want concerning Sith and or Jedi, if we said, sorry, just 2 and that's it, I think ALOT of people would be turned off by this, and it wouldn't be fair.

6. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about this the other day and this is what I had thought of:

Separatists

The Separatists, supported by the Trade Federation and led by General Greivous, want to break away from the Empire and establish an aristocracy (a government ruled by senators). The Seperatists will be a sort of combination of the Seperatists and the Confederates. Their army will consist of droids, the Mandalorian warriors (led by an old Jango Fett, who's son went solo as a bounty hunter), Kaleesh warriors (Greivous's people), and Geonosians. The political base of the Seperatists, Alderaan, was destroyed by the first Death Star, which was destroyed by the rebels.

Rebels and Jedi

The rebels consist mostly of spies, sabatours (spelling?), and Jedi. Princess leia and Han Solo are married with no kids and Chewie is still alive. Luke Skywalker, Yoda, and Mace Windu teach Jedi the ways of the force in the Jedi Academy on Dagobah.

The Empire

The new Death Star is not finished yet, nor is its superlaser functional yet. Protected by a planetary shield generator on Endor, the Death Star is home to Emperor Palpatine. Progress has been slow due to several seperatist attacks on the shield generator, which have made it very difficult for rebel spies to gain information from inside the new death star due to constant security checks. While the Emperor's stormtrooper army fights against the Separatists' droid army, Darth Vader and his elite clone troopers hunt down rebels and Jedi.

The Sith Lords

Aside from all of this, Dark Jedi, Sith, and Massassi fight a violent war against each other in order to gain control over all other Sith. Based on Yavin 4, the Massassi are led by Naga Sadow, who beleived he and he alone should rule the Sith, as well as the entire Empire. The Sith are ruled by The Emperor, but they take direct orders from Darth Maul, who acts as a steward in the fortress of Zion. On the planet Korriban, the Valley of the Dark Lords is occupied by Count Cooku and his followers of Dark Jedi. They also wish to take control of the Sith Lords, but they have a stronger grudge against the Jedi Order.

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    i agree with your points, i just think having the existing characters and pltlines is less of a backdrop and more of a hinderence, and it overshadows the plot of the RPG, obviously you cant do anything that completely devoids the plot of the thrilogy, so theres limits. And I would have thought even a fan like you may be irritated by the continuity problems that arise from having this setup.......jedi council after the masacre by anakin, and the sith with the empire there not taking it down instantly.....

So no grey jedi then? I dont see how thats a problem, basically a jedi thats either outcast/exiled, or left the order for some reason, but not gone wholely towards the dark side. it provides a broader spectrul to the force than restricting it to just the 2 classes (since not eveery force user would fall under those categories).

8. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    so, when is this rpg gonna start? We still waiting for more members, or is it still being worked on?

9. Lord Kenobi

Lord Kenobi The Negotiator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    i have a comment/suggestion.... wouldnt it be better if u base the RPG on characters instead of classes?

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I thank you for taking so much time on this, but mixing things like Naga Sadow and princess leia and han married would be pushing it.... There wont be much interaction between main characters, atleast not until there are alot more players and plots begin to move along and mingle. So there's also no point for them being married.

We have to use main characters to train people but we also have to come up with new ones. Cause we thought of a Jedi Academy on Dantooine but we like main characters like Mace Windu to stay on Coruscant so we would create new characters for that.

We like the idea of using old concepts like from KOTOR but bringing characters back to life would be too much. It's just supposed to be characters viewed in the filmed saga. Again to simplify things.

But your idea of the Death Star sounds pretty good and we already had that in mind and written down already. We have a list of all the planets and their purposes.

Thank you for also sharing your other ideas such as the Separatists, we had a Separatist carrer option on our list, and while your one sounds even more interesting, it would just be too confusing and more complicated than it need be. That's why we removed Separatists from the list completely. Although, concepts of your idea can always be used.

Your ideas about the Rebels and the Jedi is almost exactly the same as we have planned, so you don't need to worry about that.... But we already have bigger plans for it. There will also be, like you said, an Academy, but as said before, it will be on Dantooine, not Dagobah (how could you have such an Academy in such a slimy mudhole lol)

Never the less, again I thank you for your effort and we could sure use more people like you who are really inventive and bring fresh concepts to us. We're not trying to block other people's ideas but at the moment, we have to try to bring ideas together so we can put them in the game and we prefer that those ideas don't contradict of what is already created.

But if you wish, we can already send you what we have, cause we can always use good people like you to help complete the RPG. Cause it's far from finished :)

Don’t worry, we will make sure that the main characters won’t block the game, and as you said, won’t form a hindrance…. They are mainly there for learning/ training purposes. And to give the game a Star Wars feel, and a fun factor of being to interact with said characters.

The game will surely more work with the original characters players create. The main characters are simply detail.

About what you said about the Jedi Council being massacred etc, we’re just changing a few plot lines from the movies. Again, like Padmé said, it’s not all that different from Star Wars Galaxies. Which changes plot lines as well, but it is still vastly popular. If we make the game too strict and frigid, it will place a huge limit, that doesn’t need to be there. Aslong as the game works and is fun for players…… That’s what really matters. We’re not trying to make a new Star Wars movie here lol We don’t need to be so strict…. It’s just fun.

The grey Jedi thing is no problem, we can do that. After all, everybody is free to do what they choose. But I think if you want to be a grey Jedi, you have to train first in the Academy cause becoming a Jedi from the start wouldn’t be fair to the other players.

We're not sure exactly when the RPG will start, but Nienor said that if there are enough people interested, then when she arrives back on the 1st of October, we will see what can be done.

Concerning the RPG being based on just classes and not characters? No no, not at all. It's got both. You can develop your character as you wish, it will be like any other RPG in that sense, we can't tell you how to invent your character..... We are just telling you what we will do.... And that's concerning classes and careers. But it is up to you what you do with it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    okay okay, i guess its fine having them all together for the sake of a more diverse plot. I think i can handle that :p

My exact intentions, that the character would start in the academy and change his path later on.

Anyway im interested, and I'll flesh my ideas out when the whole things starts happening.

12. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Why Dantooine, though? That planet is more of a war zone than anything else. Wouldn't a place like Yavin 4 or Dagobah be more suitable due to their strong connection with the force? In fact, I think Yavin 4 was the location of the new jedi academy in Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy. And are there going to be droid armies and General Greivous? And is Vader's 501st Legion going to be clone troopers or storm troopers? btw, sorry if I'm being a pain, I'm just so excited XD

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Wasnt dantoonie where th eoriginal jedi council/academy was, or at least it is in KOTOR, untill wiped out by malak.

theoretically it would make a good place for a new academy, a place attuned to the force were the jedi can hide, unmolested by the forces of the empire and sith.

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yavin IV is indeed a planet where a Jedi academy would be placed...but since the rebels are already there we did like Crusader said base it on KOTOR and place the academy on Dantooine

Now the Jedi are also on Coruscant and so is the Empire...How does this work? Simple...Coruscant is a neutral zone. Everybody does their business there. If we are writing a scenario about an attack on the Jedi. It will happen on Dantooine and not Coruscant. What would be helpful, guys is species...we already wrote down a few species like the gungans, the twi'leks and tusken raiders. Each species has their advantages and disadvantages (twi'leks are good in spying and entertainment for example, tuskens are good in stealing) We can invent more species...for example the Kiffar for example (Quinlan Vos) They are good in reading objects...they have visions in reading objects although Quinlan is much stronger in this because of his ability in the Force.

15. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    hmm, well, if you need alien species....

Aqualish - smuggling and aquatic combat
    Bith - art, music, and technology
    Clawdite - shapeshifting
    Dug - climbing
    Ewok - trade, trapping, and the force
    Gamorrian - violence and hunting
    Geonosian - scouting, flying, and politics
    Gran - politics
    Ithorian - peace
    Jawa - scavenging, night vision, technology, and trade
    Kaminoan - genetic science and the ability to see ultraviolet light
    Mon Calamari - aquatic combat and technology
    Mustafarian - trade and can withstand great amounts of heat
    Neimoidian - business
    Nelvaanian - hunting, scouting, and the force
    Rodian - hunting
    Sullustan - piloting and navigation
    Ugnaught - politics and mining
    Pau'an - politics
    Wookiee - technology, impressive regenerative abilities, climbing, and the force
    Zabrak (Darth Maul) - the force

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I've edited what you last posted to ones in which we think would be interesting and useful.... Me and Padmé looked through it all and filtered it. Quite a few species we already had in mind but Clawdite especially could be very usefull.

Some of the following species you mentioned will need a slight adjustment in talents though. But it's really good work!

for example, Zabrak arent really species that are very talented in the Force... You don't see much Zabrak in the movies, who arent talented in the Force, but we cant give this species an upper hand because of that.

But I'm speaking in general...all species should have potential in the Force if they want...they just have to train, but like everybody else. But that is just for the Force. There will be species who are better in entertainment, hunting (like Wookiees as you mentioned) etc...

17. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    woohoo I'm helping XD
    Yeah, some of the aliens (such as the Sullustan) and talents (such as the one I put for the Ithorian) wouldn't really fit into this sort of RPG. I really like the list you had selected, even though I am a bit disapointed that there are no Pau'an, Bith, or Nelvaanian (Nelvaanian were only in the Clone Wars animated series for just a little bit, but I still think they're one of the coolest Star Wars species, especially the mutated warriors). 3 other alien species I had forgotten are Nautolan (like Kit Fisto), Kaleesh (like General Grievous), and Kel Dor (like Plo Koon). Wait a minute...something doesn't seem right with ur list.....
    O_O
    no
    u didn't...
    u couldn't have...
    u left out Ewoks
    O_O

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Nautolan and Kel Dor sound interesting, Its pretty pointless to put Kaleesh at this point, we barely know anything about this race and you can't sum up an entire species from one main example. Concerning Ewoks? Common, who wants to be an Ewok lol and they don't have any technology. They are basically the child version of wookiees and we already have those.

We have to choice species that we think people people will select, even species such as Jawa and Tusken Raider are in doubt because of this. Although, Tusken Raider is more useful cause humans can disguise as them. But Jawas are in talent and in interaction with the game limited. Which will be a downside for the player. Atleast with Gungan, they have roles in the political arena, although people dont like this race lol

19. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    This sounds really cool. i cant wait for this to start

20. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    but....they're Ewoks =(
    how can you have Gungans but not Ewoks? =(
    sure, Ewoks may seem like weaker versions of Wookiees, but Ewoks are craftier and are more spiritual

EDIT: besides, I know everyone wants to see a Jawa vs. Ewok fight =P
    RE-Edit: you can make Ewoks like a gnome version of Wookiees XD