Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    This is gold to my ears! Steve Sansweet (third guy at lucasfilm) said they would come out on Blu-Ray not too long from now. Rumours I heard. Yoda will be changed into CGI completely. Not just in episode I, which I already knew, but also in episode V and VI.
    There's also a confirmation of a re-release of all six films in 3-D again, not in the distant future.

2. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    It is. Fact. there are ads for it on tv here.
    my housemate is getting it, so i'll be able to tell you if its worth it soon.. hopefully.

also, the matrix series on blu-ray

and

the alien quadrilogy

also I heard the first 3 stat trek movies are being released on one single blu-ray disk... not sure about this one, but for you trekers... look out for that one.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Grrr!

I already dislike the CGI work in the rereleased original films :(
    Can't we have the originals as originals on nice shiny DVDs and Blueray (or heck throw them in with th enhanced versions so we have a choice - like we can with alien 3 in DVD set!)

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    CGI Yoda in original trilogy? No way! For new younger fans to never see the original puppet Yoda......that to me would be a real shame. And seeing as he wasn't leaping around with a lightsaber in Ep V and VI, why does he need to be CGI?

Stupid Lucas.

5. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    To be honest Lucas would have to pull out the Final Fantasy (film) level CGI (or better) to beat the puppet Yoda!

6. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    CGI on the original films (remastered) wasn't a positive step.

3D Blu-ray version may be worth looking at though

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Though of course the transformation of the puppet Yoda in the old trilogy is still a rumour. I've seen a quote from George Lucas, however that could have been an hoax:

"The puppetry that we used for Empire was very advanced for the time," says Lucas, "and while I am very proud of the work we accomplished, I feel that enough time has passed that we can go over the majority of Yoda's scenes, give him more facial expressions and allow him to move in a more animated way that simply wasn't possible in 1980."

The puppet seen in episode I however will be highly likely be changed as we already saw evidence of this:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  8. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Lucas needs to step back from Starwars - I get the horrid feeling that all this remastering is just a way for the studio so show off their latest CGI tricks rather than to really improve the film overall. It might also be in responce to some odd marketing report which says new cinima gowers and DVD buyers prefer CGI over puppets (and I'll bet you its a loaded question that leads one to giving the answer of CGI anway - I mean heck even farscape used puppets extensivly and they worked fantastically well)

9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    That puppet3was amazing in terms of facial expression, interaction and body language. Sure you could tell it was a puppet, but it was masterful puppetry. You believed in it.

Why has Lucas had the brilliant idea of the Star Wars universe, and now keeps having bad ideas to go back and ruin the OT???

10. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    To go back and write out that performance now just for the sake of it would be sacreligious and insulting

11. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    i hope they don't mess with the original trilogy anymore...i despise the remastered versions.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
  13. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/21637/-star-wars-blu-ray-adds-girlie-screams

It had to happen I suppose...the guy just can't help himself!!

14. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I wonder if we can get a restraining order put on him?

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    It just gets worse and worse. I'd wager that not a single original trilogy fan, who grew up with OT, prefers the additions in any way. Han shot first! Puppet Yoda was awesome and communicative. Vader silently watching Luke get zapped with lightning and then saving him, WITHOUT SAYING A WORD - you don't need words to see everything racing through his mind behind that helmet. You understood the two sides of himself were waging war on each other, because of what was NOT said.

God damn Lucas, every change you make now is just fking it up more and more!!! Aaaarrggghhh!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I liked it... It's just because I'm not used to it that it sounds awkward. But I remember the original dialogue, but it couldn't be put in because of the length of the scene.

Emperor: No! You're I'm your master!
    Vader/Anakin: Vader's master, not Anakin's!

Though I think the first Krayt dragon call was the best one, the new one is by far better than the DVD version. The Artoo hiding behind a rock makes more sense. Everybody knew of the CGI Yoda in ep I, which is a major improvement on the bad puppet originally used. The dug is not necessary, but the massive gate of Jabba's palace looks cool. I think the scene of Greedo has been improved. It goes faster so the stupid dodging can't even be seen. I'm sure fans will still complain Greedo shot first and of the young Anakin still in it. I'm sure that hasn't been changed back. And the best is the improvement on the lightsaber blades cause that bothered me the most on the DVD

17. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    AGREED MAN!Agreed!Well said brother.

18. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Here is the terrible "NOOO!" audio from the Bluray version. Terrible voice acting. Just terrible. The first No is okay (though still unnecessary) but that second long Nooo was just lame, lacking any energy. Real amateur hour stuff.

As one comment said

And Greedo still shoots first....sigh. Yes, they've made it look smoother, but again, Youtube comment sums it up:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  19. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well I think another reason it sounds so weird is because it sounds so out of character. Vader wouldn't scream 'No!"... He's the cool character who does what he wants to do with no expression... He just does it. But now we're talking Vader and in you're mind you still think it's Vader... But when he picks up the Emperor he is Anakin again, but the change goes so quick, even much faster than switching from the light to the dark, that you take it for granted. But it is in character for Anakin and you don't think him to be any much different, but he is. After all for most of you it's just a name right...

20. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    FFS Ced stop excusing and licking Lucas,he won't make you president of Lucasarts!COME ON!We all know it sucks.You know it does.You know that messing with old classics again and again will make them BAD movies instead of "classics".If Lucas wanted to make a remake he should have made a brand new remake of the movie with new actors,FX,scenes and dialogues and whatever else he wants.He might as well add Snowhite in there I don't care.But he can't mess with the old classic.In the end its his classic and he is destroying his own legacy like an old man who goes nuts.He should STOP and wake up.And realize that his original trilogy is a significant part of the history of cinematography.And that,he has to respect.