Star Wars music

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Padmé, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Is this thread a spoiler-free zone? Just curious...

2. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,142 / 5 / -0
    well actually it is spoiler-free I guess, but Padmé broke it a little:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nah, she didn't really give much of anything away. In a few months it won't matter, anyway. But I want the full effect of any surprises.
    I have decided to do the same thing I did three years (was it really that long?) ago. That is, buy the soundtrack (it will likely come out before the movie) and copy it, putting the original away. I won't even look at the track titles! I always listen to copies of my CDs anyway- if they get damaged or lost, I can make a new copy! No piracy here.

4. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Yeh sorry if I gave away too much--- but any new info about the new soundtrack I will put here--- but I will issue a warning if it is spoiler related

5. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    *covers eyes* OK, I'll be careful. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Okay, here comes my new update on the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack, and there are PLENTY OF SPOILERS!!!!! So if you dont want to know them--- then best not to read on.

Now, another piece that will be returning is Luke Skywalker's theme, now this is no big shock as Luke's theme is actually the main Star Wars theme--- but for the first time in this trilogy, this theme will be used for Luke. The Star Wars theme previously in this trilogy has been upbeat and used in action sequences. In Revenge of the Sith Luke's theme will be played much softer and tenderly than before, and this will then flow onto the Force theme which is connected with Obi-Wan at this point.
    Now, the most interesting piece of music for me anyway is that of the end credits of the film. The themes placed at the end credits symbolise the most important features of each film....

A New Hope: Luke's Theme (Star Wars theme extended) and Leia's Theme
    The Empire Strikes Back: Yoda's Theme, The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) and the Han and Leia Love Theme
    Return of the Jedi: Parade of the Ewoks and Luke and Leia (New theme)
    The Phantom Menace: Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme
    Attack of the Clones: Across the Stars (Anakin and Padmé's love theme)

And now for Revenge of the Sith, after the starting Star Wars Theme that ends every film, followed by the usual burst of the Rebel Fanfare, it then goes into Leia's Theme. Played in a different arrangement. This theme now not only is used for Princess Leia but also for Alderaan. This is the first time that a theme has been used in the end credits more than once, so I am interested to see what part Alderaan has to play in Revenge of the Sith. Apart from the obvious ofcourse, being connected with Bail Organa and Leia.
    Once her theme dies down, the music goes onto the new Revenge of the Sith battle theme used during the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin. This then flows onto the Throne Room theme from A New Hope--- The theme played when Han and Luke recieve their medals from Princess Leia. This has been done before as at the end of the Return of the Jedi end credits we hear the Throne Room theme also, as a symbol of the "New Hope" suceeding their destinies. This will be a perfect way to lighten the mood of the film, as I knew Lucas would do. The film is so dark, but he will remind the audience that this isnt the end, there is still hope and that you know that hope will prevail in the end.
    There was talk of another scene between Anakin and Padmé, set before the scene I spoke of in a previous post. The track at this point is called "Scenes and Dreams". Padmé is in her nightgown on a balcony and Anakin watches his beautiful wife while leaning against a wall. Here the "Across the Stars" theme returns, played very sweetly. This will make a very noticable transition between this scene and the next one. The music shreeks as Anakin has a nightmare about his pregnant wife. He wakes up in a sweat, and then leaves the room. Padmé soon follows after him , here he notices that around her neck she is wearing the Japor Snippet necklace that he had given to her when he was a little boy ( In Episode I when they are travelling to Coruscant), here the music plays Anakin's Theme as he dwells on the past, then the music becomes more moody as he explains to his wife about his dreams and his fears. This scene and music flows onto the next where Anakin goes to speak to Yoda about his visions, here the Force theme makes an appearance as the discussion becomes philosophical. The music then becomes more brassy and objective sounding as Anakin enters the Jedi Briefing room. Here the music for this section ends. We will also here Palpatine's Theme a number of times. One scene that is mentioned is where he appears as a holographic image to the leaders of the Seperatists of Mustafar. Another scene is where Palpatine is in the Senate and declares the dawn on a New Order, the music here will likely be spine tingling.

That is all the latest news on the soundtrack so far, hopefully there will be more soon......

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I didn't read the spoiler(s), so, sorry if I'm interrupting...
    What is the new "Sith" theme in AOTC? Is it the mysterious theme played during Obi-Wan's arrival on Kamino and as Dooku leaves Geonosis?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    The answer is no, there is no Sith theme---- it is always associated with Palpatine's theme. But the one you speak of is simply used as a "bad guy theme", it is used for Palpatine at one point, Dooku and Jango... and connected also with the Cloners, showing that they are all connected to eachother

9. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Hey, I have a question to a part of a song on the ROTJ soundtrack. But I think you'll have to listen to it to know what I mean. I'm talking about song 7, The battle of Endor II, 5th minute. Is this a piece of music that plays when Luke fights Darth Vader?

10. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    I dont have to listen to it, I know lol And you are right. There is a long time of low bass notes, as Vader tries to seek out Luke--- and then a drum beats at the revelation of Luke's sister--- and then when Vader proposes to turn her to the dark side instead of Luke--- the music swells into the Emperor's theme as Luke enraged attacks Vader

11. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Wow, I guessed right. ;) Thanks!
    I love this piece of music. Actually I love the whole soundtrack -and I could hug you over and over again for giving me this-, but in my opinion this piece of music is something special... I don't know why, but sometimes I feel kind of sad (I don't know how to describe it better) when I think about this whole fight while listening to it...

12. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    You don't need to thank me :) Was my pleasure giving you the soundtrack-- and that goes for Sandra also. I feel the exact same during this piece of music, and you are supposed to feel sad when you listen to it, on a great many levels. Firstly, because Luke turned to the Darkside, that is what the music is telling you when he attacks Vader--- he only does this cause of his anger, which a Jedi should NEVER do. Because of the love Luke has for his sister, he exploded at the notion of them capturing her and putting her through this mental torture. The music should also make you feel sad from Vader's point of view of Luke attacking him, even though he was seeking him out, Vader does not really want to fight Luke in this film, he wants them to be together as father and son. And the attack of Luke is a torture on Vader also, as he realises how powerful Luke is in his anger, and for a brief moment Vader thinks that he will be murdered at the hands of his son. Vader sees himself in Luke, which is exactly right as they lead identical lives up until the moment refuses the Darkside once and for all.
    Another emtional element that the music has is realising that this fight between father and son is a delightful sight for the Emperor, hence why his theme is being played here. He loves watching this fight. Watching his former apprentice fall, and him being over taken by a new apprentice.... And he adores the added twist of them being father and son. He's a sick minded old man :D By the end of this piece of music, you ofcourse here the Force theme being played triumphantly as Vader picks up the Emperor and throws him over the balcony. Anakin finally forfilled his prophecy of being The Chosen One. Another saddening fact, that he had to suffer all this pain to do so. One of my favourite pieces is track 8, when it quietens into the Imperial March as Luke holds his dying father. This is the closest they will ever be in their lives. A tragic reminder of what they could've been, a family. They can never be so completely as it was a family torn apart by death, war and hatred. But at this point, those things seem not to matter, and Vader dwells on his life as he gazes into his son's face. He regrets his life, the later part of it. Anakin wouldve been far happier being with his family, but his seek to control fates and become powerful destroyed all of that, and for certain we will learn alot more about this in Revenge of the Sith....

13. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Does Qui-Gon have a theme? On the TPM ultimate edition disc two, I hear a theme starting out track 01, and played again rapidly in track 02 as Qui-Gon fights Maul. I hear it again at the end of track 28. Is it Qui-Gon's? If not, what does it represent?
    BTW, I just saw the "Tragedy" commercial for ROTS, and the music is definitely new. Sounds great!

14. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Is the duel of the fates music going to be used?

15. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Personally, i would be surprised if they re-used that piece...I think that there will be a piece that fits in for the anakin v kenobi battle...but what it'll be i have no idea...

16. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,142 / 5 / -0
    there is word that duel of fates will be used in the duel together with another theme simply called revenge of the Sith...it was from the beginning in ep I that George knew that he wanted to use duel of fates in the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan...thus the name duel of "fates"...it's about the fate of Anakin Skywalker, which you can also hear in ep II when he searches for his mother, it's also about his fate.
    In a Tv-spot callen tragedy you can hear a new theme called battle of heroes...I think it can be downloaded on starwars.com tomorrow. Maybe for hyperspace only, I think they will also use that theme in the duel.

17. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1

Yes he does have a small theme, you hear it when he speaks with Anakin at the dinner table, the part with "no one can kill a Jedi" and when Amidala is speaking to the Viceroy at the end of the film. That is when you hear it most noticeably.

Will Duel of the Fates be used again? Yes, as you see Lucas say in the Making of Episode I documentary, this theme is really in Episode I as a set up for Episode III. Duel of the Fates being the duel between the Jedi and Sith. Their paths have not crossed in 1000 years but it was destined that they would, and that it would be the beginning of a chaotic transformation for the galaxy. As Anakin said, there will be another theme that will symbolise the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan, this being Battle of the Heroes. This will intertwine with Duel of the Fates to create a no-doubt unforgetable soundtrack. Just need to wait until May 3rd to hear it :D

18. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The theme or the TV spot?

19. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    He means that the Battles of the Heroes theme will be played for the ultimate duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan

20. JasonBL

JasonBL New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Probably my favourite piece of music in the whole Star Wars sountrack pantheon is during the track called "The Moisture Farm" on the Ep IV soundtrack. I'm particularly referring to the scene when Luke stands there looking into the twin sunset just after Uncle Owen has crushed all his dreams.

To this day, I still well up every time I hear that music! I guess for me, I feel like Luke, looking off into the sunset, always hoping to achieve my dreams and knowing that somethings are just not possible. Of course, Luke didn't know that his destiny was going to change. I hope mine will too!

My other favourites are the Imperial March and Duel of Fates ...

Jason