Star Wars music

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Padmé, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Concerning the music, I am the queen of knowledge :) Any questions--- put them here

2. Infinitum007

Infinitum007 the beat goes on

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you heard that one snippet of music from the starwars.com video files that sounds really dark and evil and it isn't in any of the movies? It is sorta brief at the end of one of the viedeo files and it is definately composed by John Williams. I think it was a slight glance of some Juicey Sith music for Ep.3
    Anyway Padme, On the Ep.2 soundtrack track 2 the love theme. The whole thing is not on the move. was that just on the soundtrack because it was their whole complete theme? Because IF you listen to it it does not match up to any parts on the movie. Do you know what I mean?

3. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Im not sure which video file you speak of--- if you remember which I will listen to it again---- but the Sith wont have a theme---- all the pieces of music I've heard on those files are ones I have recognised from other Star Wars films.
    About the whole theme of Across the Stars from Episode II, Im assuming you speak of the little bridge in the middle of the piece that you do not hear in the film---- it is simply just that--- a bridge for the full piece----- and a little dramatic build up to the theme playing again--- but it also is supposed to symbolise the struggle they have and that their love is in the middle of this galactic war-- The Clone War. Any other questions?

4. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On Starwars.com if you go to "video village" it is on there at the end of the video. It is very brief and I have NEVER heard it before. EVER. So if you can study on that and give me your feedback that would be great.

5. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Yes I know the one you speak of--- the music you hear at the very end is a clip from the soundtrack of Return of the Jedi--- when the Emperor is thrown off the balcony by Vader--- it isnt a new piece. John Williams doesnt start writing the soundtrack for ROTS for a while now--- he starts recording in late January/ early February. Anything esle you'd like to know? :)

6. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow you are awesome! THanks I need to check that out. As for questions, what about the Dark theme that always lingers about when Sidious talks. I can't hum it because well I am typing. But is that not the sith theme? I am stoked though to hear the new music. I hope it is really dark though. I like that.

7. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Well the theme you speak of is indeed intended for Sidious but it is used to symbolise the Darkside also. It is used in Episode II when Anakin is telling Padmé about the slaughter of the Sand people, the reason is to show that this was BAD, very bad--- alot of movies seem to show revenge as a good thing--- just check an old western starring John Wayne and you'll see what I mean lol Well, Lucas always sees it as a terrible thing-- which it is. Anakin was influenced by revenge and pure hatred, both traits of the Darkside--- so that was one of the reasons the theme was placed there. But it was also there to remind us of Palpatine's influence over the years--- you see from their conversation in Episode II that they Palpatine has basically been putting Anakin on a pedestal-- which has resulted in his ego and annoyance towards Obi-Wan who doesnt praise him enough.
    One thing people always seem to miss is that Palpatine's theme/ darkside theme is what is playing at the end of Episode I, during the celebration on Naboo. Just listen to it--- its that theme! The only difference is that the last few notes are in major. The reason for this is to show that even though this is a happy event on the surface--- it really isnt--- its the beginning of the end.......

8. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SWEEEEEEEEET....you amaze me.

9. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OH I watchef ROTJ and thr dark music was muffled by the explosion of Palpatine hitting the reactor.

10. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    lol Thanks :)

Its nice to be appreciated for loving the music so much, put alot of thought into it and thats how I know so much now

11. Cellardoor

Cellardoor Windstriker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    John William's score for the SW movies are collectively a masterpiece in my opinion. The amount of leitmotivs and beautiful arrangements he uses are perfect for not only carrying the story along but really adding a mystic edge to Star Wars.
    I personally think his score MAKES Star Wars what it is. Without the music, the films would not impress me half as much.

12. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Well indeed! And Im sure George Lucas would agree with you. I love how his music tells the story. Sometimes better than the visuals

13. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How much of the music in AOTC is recycled from TPM?
    Or maybe the better question is- Why was it recycled?

14. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Simple. The reason some bits from TPM were used cause little things were added AFTER the music was recorded, remember George edits right up until just before the film is released

15. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That makes sense. Just disappointing, in a way.
    I am surprised by the redundant use of TPM material, but glad that enough effort was put forth to match the action on screen.
    Do you think they will re-use anything in Episode III?

16. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Well if you mean themes, well yeh ofcourse. The love theme will certainly be back, but whether they will actually fully re-use music as they did in Episode II all depends what happens with the editing

17. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sorry-didn't specify. Yes, of course they will re-use themes. Hopefully, the music itself will be new, though. I wonder if they will use the early imperial theme or Death Star motif from ANH.

18. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Indeed, I have considered the Death Star motif--- perhaps, have to wait and see. It is a certainty that the Imperial Mrch will be in it.... "Nothing..... can stop that now" lol I have also considered the idea of perhaps a new Wookiee theme, its possible, depends. Grevious will certainly have atleast a motif. It is also possible that Luke and Leia's theme may be hinted at, would be a nice way to link the films musically. The "Across the Stars" love theme will again be used, and the tragidy of it even more aparent than in Episode II

19. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Han Solo and Chewbacca don't have themes or motifs, do they?

20. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    No afraid not, the reason being that they arent really important characters, not really. Even Obi-Wan didnt have a theme, altho he was alot more important than those two. But it doesnt always depend on importance. The main themes so far are:

The Star Wars theme (The main theme for the saga, but also used in battle sequences and also becomes Luke's theme)

The Force Theme

Duel of the Fates (a theme symbolising the inevitable doom of the Jedi, the galaxy and Anakin)

Anakin's Theme (Which is actually a mixed up version of the Imperial March)

Across the Stars ( a tragic love theme, very sad, but grand because of the scale of it and how important this particular relationship is)

Leia's Theme ( a beautiful romantic styled piece, symbolising her inner determination and hope for a peaceful future without the Empire, and longing for the days of the Old Republic. But also, even tho when the soundtrack was made it was unknown of her importance ie her relation to Anakin. Padmé and Luke, she was basically given a theme cause she is the object of the first part of the film...... Save the Princess)

The Imperial March (classic stuff! A wonderful evil march to symbolise this horrible dictatorship, and also becomes Darth Vader's theme as it shows that he has lost his individuality and humanity, he is no longer Anakin Skywalker, he has become Darth Vader and blends into the evil meaning of the Empire)

Yoda's Theme (a nice mystical sounding theme, with a grace and grandness symbolising his powers and wisdom, but also a little fluttery and jumpy showing his quirkyness and the humorous side of him)

Han and Leia's love theme (a true love theme, happy and romantic sounding, unlike that from Episode II, with Episode II, the theme tells you that the realtionship will end disasterously, but this theme showings that they will get together and live "Happily ever after" so to speak)

Luke and Leia's theme (this theme finally connects the two of them as brother and sister, but is also written to show their maturity now, they are no longer those young kids we saw in A New Hope, alot has changed. This theme reminds me a little of the Across the Stars theme, not in a melodic sense, but again the scale, it gives them an importance, these two people are going to be very important in the building of a New Republic, and they were destined to do so)

Palpatine's theme (this theme, you will all know, you hear it whenever you see.......Palpatine! Its his theme and also that, that represents the dark side. This theme just sounds creepy and evil, perfect! This man has done no good in his life, and has sneeked his way to power, and conquered over the Jedi, billions have died as a result of this man, lives ruined, this theme captures it all)

Now dont get me started on the fanfares, motifs and battle themes!!! lol