Star Wars - Jedi Death Inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Same here! Unfortuantely it's still about a year away :( On a bright note the Orginal Trilogy will be on DVD in September! Hehehe I will be able to watch in super slow mode to see if anakin really disolves into the force :D

2. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I've been checking out this program I borrowed from a friend. It's distributed by LucasArts and is alll kinds of trivia, etc. about the original Trilogy. A couple quotes you guys might find interesting. It seems that the rumors to the "volcano" scene are true. We will, it seems, see Anakin fall into a molten pit.

"Although the details of Anakin's metamorphosis into Darth Vader are unclear, some tales hold that his final fall occured on the edge of a molten pit during a duel with his ormer teacher, Obi-Wan Kenobi. The battle was fiere but Anakin faltered and plummeted into the pit, where he almost perished. When he finally emerged, horribly scarred and grievously wounded, all remnants of Anakin had slipped away and he was wholly one with the dark side. The remains of his physical body were supported by a fearsome armored suit, and his burned face was covered by the mask of Darth Vader."

Okay, here's another one. This confirms what Kal-El has already told us, but now you can read it with your own eyes.

"Vader collapsed soon after and began to die. At Vader's request, Luke removed his father's helmet, revealing Anakin's face. In that moment, the evil being known as Darth Vader was destroyed and only Anakin Skywalker remained. Sadly, Anakin was unable to recover from his injuries and he became one with the Force shortly before the destruction of the second Death Star. To honor his father's passing, Luke took Vader's maks and black armor to the forest moon of Endor, where he burned them in a huge pyre."

I'll try to see if there's anything about Jedi deaths on this prog.

3. Kal-EL

Kal-EL New Supes costume sucks

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Good quotes, thanks.

4. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yes thank you! It will be interesting to see the battle between Anakin and Kenobi...To see Anakin become Vader...

BTW Did Palpatine dissolve into the force?? We see him thrown down the shaft in the end of RotJ...Then a huge amount of force energy is released...What do people think???

5. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My pleasure! As for Palpatine, the same program is cloudy about whether or not he dissolved into the force.

"While the Emperor's original body was destroyed aboard the second Death Star, Dark Empire reveals that palpatine had used the Empire's wealth to develop advanced cloning techniques to ensure his survival. Thus, six years after the Battle of Endor, the Emperor was reborn in a secret cloning facility on Byss. Again, Palpatine set out to convert Luke, who actually accepted the Emperor's training in the ways of the dark side for a short time. Ultimately, the combined might of Luke and his sister, Princess Leia, overwhelmed the Emperor and seemingly killed him yet again."

In addition we find out that this wasn't the first time that the Emperor cloned himself. It goes on to say,

"Months later, the events of Dark Empire II and Empire's End unfolded when the Emperor's spirit entered the body of yet another clone. In this incarnation, he conspired to kidnap Leia, claim her unborn son and lead him toward the dark side, and use a new superweapon called the Galaxy Gun to completely destroy the leading Alliance officials. All of his plots fell apart and he wa killed, presumably for the last time, even as he attempted to join his spirit with the body of the newborn Anakin Solo."

Interesting stuff, but I think it points to the fact that either the Emperor didn't become one with the force and was rather some sort of "wandering spirit" (which I believe to be the more likely case) or he did become one with the force but was obviously able to control his coming and going at will.

I think it more likely that he didn't become one with the force becaue when it talks about Vader turning back to the light, they mention it as something that seemed pivitol in allowing him to die peacefully and be one with the force. Palpatine certainly never had this turning point.

6. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    *** SPOILERS ***

Mace Windu does not have a nice peaceful death. He gets killed by Anakin in something like a 90-move, totally defensive fight, where he eventually dies. Seeing as he never seemed to accept his fate like Obi Wan did, and Yoda, I can't see him dissolving. Maybe the reason Qui-Gon didn't dissolve is because he was locke din battle and didn't have the right "frame of mind" to become one with the Force. Whereas Obi-Wan ont eh Death Star knew he could die to help Luke et all escape.
    But of course, only George Lucas has the answers.........

7. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    To True! He keeps things locked down pretty well also...Hmmm...The book should come out a couple months before the movie...we should find most our answers there...P.S. I wonder if there will be a battle like in RotJ where Sidious watches two Jedi (general term) duke it out... All the while trying to sway one/both to his side...

8. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    *** MAJOR SPOILERS ***

Yes Turgon, Sidious/Palpatine does witness another fight between 2 Jedi - Anakin kills Mace because Palpatine convinces Anakin that the Jedi are corrupt and that Mace has come to kill him, after Mace confronts Palpatine after him and Yoda figure out that Palpatine is the Sith Lord. Should be an awesome fight!!!

But that'll be nothing compared to the Yoda vs Palpatine throw-down!!!

9. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Palpatine uses his long study of the Dark Side of the Force and other ancient magic and rituals to learn how to transfer his spirit into a new body. I think it actually says this in the starwars.com character file. The reason that he needs to do this, other than wanting to be immortal (in the physical plane), is that his Dark Side powers consumes his physical body and he ages very quickly, and therefore he cloned multiple copies of himself, kept in a safe planet somewhere, and he transfers himself to a new, young body every time when his current frame gets too weak.

As for Qui-Gon, I've read it somewhere that even among the Light Side Jedi, there are two branches of studies and using of the Force: the Living Force, and something else, which I've forgotten the name of. Qui-Gon is in the Living Force camp, as we hear him mention in Ep. I, something like "be mindful of the living Force" or something. (that's also where all that Mediclorian crap comes in, but luckily we're spared that in Ep. II). This camp of Force study focuses on "living in the moment," as Qui-Gon advised Obi-Wan at the beginning of Ep. I, onboard the trade federation ship: As Obi-Wan senses there's something wrong and says "I have a bad feeling about this"™ Qui-Gon tells him not to stray too much and focus on the present.

The other camp, supposedly, does almost the opposite, as Qui-Gon gives Obi-Wan the advise to focus on the moment, Obi-Wan says that Yoda taught him to be mindful of the future.

So while the camp of Obi-Wan and Yoda strive to become one with the Force, Qui-Gon's camp sort of live in the Force... if that makes any sense...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  10. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting, Aragorn. I didn't know about the two factions of "Light Side" followers.

It's an interesting theory about this whole predicament. I wonder how solid it is...but it's given me some thinking material.

We've certainly seen the differences between the ways of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. We see it when we first meet Qui-Gon. We see it when Obi-Wan questions Qui-Gon's methods. It's very evident.

I think we need more info.

11. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    From the starwars.com Databank, on Qui-Gon:

A venerable if maverick Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn is a student of the living Force. Unlike other Jedi Masters, who often lose themself in the meditation of the unifying Force, Qui-Gon Jinn lived for the moment, espousing a philosophy of "feel, don't think -- use your instincts." Were it not for Qui-Gon's unruly views, he would have undoubtedly been on the Jedi Council.

12. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Thanks for that! I've a friend who's a real Star Wars fan. He'll love this bit of info.

13. Cellardoor

Cellardoor Windstriker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think they got Neeson to say that line. They took the "Anakin!" line from TPM (as you mentioned earlier) and the "No!" part sounds like a totally different actor. Sounds almost like an American accent to me, even though it's hard to tell when the word is only one syllable long :s