Star Wars Episode 7 movie talk

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mububban, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +199 / 1 / -0
    Surely there must be an existing thread but I can't seem to find it! And I think here is a good spot to put it, rather than in the General Movies section. because Star Wars ain't general, it's uber-important to use sci-fi and fantasy nerds :D

!!! BEWARE - SPOILERS MAY BE POSTED HERE !!!

Okay, I for one have no objection to JJ Abrams being in charge of episode 7, and so far the little dribs and drabs I've seen and read have filled me with confidence, not trepidation. And today I discovered these:

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT:

Also, check out the evolution of the stormtrooper helmet. I wonder if this new helmet will actually allow them to shoot straight and hit their targets :p

storm.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mububban

Ratings:
    +199 / 1 / -0
    Actual physical props!!!

[​IMG]

3. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    For a moment there I thought Daisy Ridley and John Boyega were the actual names of the characters. Shows how much I'm expecting from this film. :p
    I don't get why they changed the stormtrooper helmet, but considering the timespan between ep VI and VII I could accept this. And hey, they're using physical props, and that's something! :D

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +199 / 1 / -0
    I'll be interested to see how self-sustaining the Empire has been in the last 30 years, without the driving force of the Emperor and Vader to hold it all together. Were there enough loyal admirals/generals to maintain order and discipline, or did lots of star systems revolt and the now leaderless empire didn't have the central co-ordination to handle it?

Time will tell!!!

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Considering that most of the fleet and most high ranking people were at the final battle I suspect that many worlds would have managed to rebel against Storm-troopers. Certainly any that were not totally under the military fist of the Imperium whilst also having limited weapons.

It also depends greatly on the Rebel Alliance's stability too. They had a major enemy and now they've won - if enough of the Imperial forces have fallen the Alliance could start to unravel with its own internal politics as worlds are now free and starting to push toward more power and influence for themselves.

So I suspect we'll see the Rebel Alliance holding or pushing to hold the core worlds and rebuild the former ruling system. Meanwhile we might be fractured alliances and power groups forming up between worlds. Mixed in there will be pockets of the Imperium - who's power structure is likely to be able to cope with electing a new single leader and focus - so even if they are broken up they'll retain a general unity. This pressure could keep the Alliance internal politics in check for a while, but not indefinitely (at least assuming continued downfall of the Imperial forces).

Mixed into all this is also the fact that whilst Anakin did bring balance to the force there is nothing to say that it can't be unbalanced again. We could see the rise of a new Sith Lord - or we might see something new in the rise of new weaker, but still evil force powers.

There's also the whole issue of Jedi politics as well - we assume Luke will be rebuilding and training new Jedi; many of which might be older and thus less suited to adaptation to the life; but which will be more matured and ready to work quicker in the new Alliance. This could cause all kinds of its own power-struggles (also prime breeding ground for new sith).

6. Mububban

Ratings:
    +199 / 1 / -0
    We have a title - Star Wars Episode 7 - The Force Awakens

"Disney chief Bob Iger has said that “The Force Awakens” will be set 30 years after 1983′s “Return of the Jedi” and will feature new and familiar faces."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Big news! So... now my question is... How and why does the Force awaken? Has it been sleeping? And since when has it been sleeping? :p

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Makes sense - 30 years is a good time block. Most of the characters will be getting older (like their real life actors) so it leaves room for some new faces to take over (how long to wookies live for - otherwise it will only be the two droids who keep going). It also means that we'll likely be seeing the rise of new Jedi since we can expect that part of the last 30 years has been training new kids in the ways of the Force - so assuming a lag period after the Emperors fall for things to get going they should be in their twenties and younger.

9. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    well... i know none of it is canon anymore, but chewie died 25 ABY in the novels

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    I honestly expect to see most of the original core cast present in some form or another. Although I hope that for most its a camo appearance in the story - I feel that with a 30 year gap it will be a story with new lead characters from the on-set.

This is likely going to be the tale of Dave Skywalker - son of Luke or Leiha (more likely the latter as she's already got a Canon boyfriend). So it will be Dave - two droids and then others - I just hope they don't put a Gungan into it.

Or rather a totally stupid comic character

11. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    Jar-Jar Binks has already been confirmed as a character. Probably in a minor role. I kid you not. Better deal with it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    i don't hate Jar Jar, although i think th only thing he contributed to the series was a way for younger people to grow into the star wars universe

13. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    Tbh I think his character in the new film(s) is just a cheap way to connect the sequel trilogy with the prequel trilogy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Maybe they'll kill him this time.

15. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    A teaser trailer is going to be released on Itunes tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    Teaser trailer is here! I got mixed feeling. It does look awesome, but there's just a few things that made me cringe:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    New lightsaber. The sith looks awesome, like s**t is about to go down!

Other than that, im still skeptical as to whether or not disney can pull it off

18. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    did you see the fake trailer?

19. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    I caught a few glimpses of it. Didn't really want to see it because I saw it was fake, but yeah I saw like the Millennium Falcon flying to the camera, black stormtroopers etc...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    The names have been revealed for the characters in the trailer. Don't look at the following images if you want to avoid spoilers:

Finn.jpg BB-8.jpg Rey.jpg Poe-Dameron.jpg Kylo-Ren.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

star wars episode 7 inquisitor forum