Star Trek vs. Star Wars... Where will the war end?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Anakin, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,142 / 5 / -0
  2. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    hahaahahaha! Awesome!

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    OMG its open war!

Ps ----- Anakin - did you hear that -- STARWARS IS SCI-FI
    you heard it right from the video - the proof is now undeniable!

;)

4. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0
  5. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,142 / 5 / -0
    Because almost every, like you, only look at what they see, and don't think about the actual story. ;)

6. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +737 / 7 / -2
    [​IMG]
    can't deny it now anakin

7. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    war vs twilight?
    hell, i'm in

8. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,142 / 5 / -0
    Actually I can. I see no resemblance at all. If it said ACTS like, that would have made a lot more sense.
    Because ironically, a lot of whiny fans whine that Anakin is too whiny in the films. Just makes me laugh all the time LOL.

9. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    1. I love Star Wars, I used to like Star Trek as a kid, I never liked Twilight. BUT: I don't give a damn about this "war" everyone is talking about. Let stupid kids like Twilight, let Trekkies be Trekkies and "Warsies" be "Warsies".

2. Why is there a war anyway? Star Trek and Star Wars are two completely different subgenres of science-fiction, so why bother always compare the two?

And yes: George Takei FOR THE WIN.

10. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    On a measure of George Takei-ness clearly Star Trek would win out but I suspect that many Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans could enjoy both, even if it's in secret. I personally prefer Star Trek (except DS9) but also enjoyed the original Star Wars trilogy but not the prequel trilogy so much.

The Twilight films suck, the books wouldn't suffer a re-read (assuming you'd been able to read them at all).

11. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +207 / 0 / -0
    I have no interest at all in Twilight, so it's existence is irrelevant to me.
    Never really got into Star Trek much, except for the Borg parts...great concept.
    But the original Stars Wars Trilogy is untouchable!! Maybe it is nostalgia or something, I can watch it time and time again, and now have introduced my son to it as well.
    But the prequels are crap...Underwhelming, boring, bad characterisation and acting, obvious CGI, and so on, the whole thing just sucked.
    However...we all know that the new BSG was the best thing in sci-fi for a long time!!

12. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +737 / 7 / -2
    qft

13. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    All kind of fiction or saga or even something given from "mouth to mouth" contain the "probability", not the impossibility. There is always a "could-be". There are a lot of things beyond the grasp of our horizons we do not know and I am sure we are not really alone. So, it is a science fiction war that could take place one day or takes just place at another time in another space.

Concerning Star Trek I favour more the "Next generation" with Captain Picard.
    Concerning Star Wars I was fond of the first 3 parts. The newer ones should have been a revival but no compliance with the origins.

14. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 3 / -2

But wait one cotton picking moment... almost every last thing in the StarTrek/StarWars universes are impossible. In our universe, which is the same one StarTrek takes place in and presumably StarWars also, you cannot accelerate a solid mass object to or beyond the speed of light, nor can human beings spend an indefinite time in a deep space environment. And furthermore, if such technologies existed it would render any ideas of conventional war completely obsolete. StarWars and StarTrek are little more than comic book space opera for children.

Don't you find it mind numbing when StarWars characters race between the stars at unholy FTL speeds only to set down and have a sword fight with light sabers? It's so retarded it would be funny. If you have faster-than-light technology you have discovered how to harness infinite energy, and in doing so, you could explode suns, snuff out galaxies at great distances... there would be no need for Stormtroopers, Jedi Knights, or the Federation.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  15. Firiath

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Actually, no, and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Star Wars fan. Fighting with sabers despite the extremely high technology available can simply be regarded as a cultural matter. After all, there is only a small group of people who fight using these weapons, the reason for it being of religious/cultural origin.

The problem with sci-fi, no matter whether it's something utopian or space opera, is that most people only see its surface. Instead of just regarding its literal meaning people have to be able to find its allegorical or even exegetical meaning in order to fully understand what's behind all the lightsaber-fighting and what not.

16. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 3 / -2

But it makes absolutely no sense, in fact it's utterly nonsensical.
    When you're in a life and death winner take all struggle you don't bring a sword to an atomics war.

Evil people who destroy planets don't play fair, and they sure wouldn't put everything on the line for the sake of chivalry and cultural heritage. It's almost as stupid as StarTrek equating deep space voyages with tall ships and the Age of Discovery.

17. Firiath

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    If I had the power to control mass and therefore deflect atomic bombs and similar weaponry only using my mind (or blaster/gun shots with my sword), hell yeah I would. :D
    You have to see it as a whole and the connections between the fragments in order to make sense of it. ;)

18. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    No no no you're making a mistake here. That of taking the laws of physics and science as - well laws when they are really more like guidelines based upon our best observations. It's rather like people who assume that the periodic table is complete with all the elements there are.

In the end we can say what we like - if I told you 200 years ago that you could talk to someone in real time on the other side of the Earth you'd call be raving mad and such feats as impossible to the world of science. If I said you could hold the complete works of a whole library in the palm of your hand you'd raise a billion and one reasons why it would be totally impossible to do such.

As for swords and such don't forget that in past cultures experienced fighters walked out of the army and refused to fight with guns when they were first used; considering them ignoble weapons. Heck Snipers in the army were generally considered rather substandard and looked down upon as dirty and not proper fighters until very recently. Heck the submariners only lost their pirate flag in the last year or two!

19. cannibal collapse

cannibal collapse writer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're only as strong as your weakest link:

Stormtrooper/Red Shirt

It's a toss up, really...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  20. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Ancient One

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -2
    *Creeps in and whispers in Cascador's ear* How about Firerfly........