Star Trek : Beyond (2016)

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Mububban, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0

Hmm. The first trailer for Star Trek : Beyond, about their 5 year mission into uncharted space, has me worried.

I've been trying to reassure my wife that don't worry, these loud non-Trek action movies we've seen so far are all part of a grand master plan. Rekindle interest in the franchise and bring in new fans with the crash boom bang action stuff, and now you've got them hooked with 2 movies, get into the nice meaty Star Trek moral and ethical conundrums. The second movie dipped its toes lightly into this terrain with Kirk violating the Prime Directive, and the moral/immoral choices he was making pursuing Khan fuelled by vengeance, not justice.

However this latest trailer only shows me the crash boom bang action stuff, and doesn't show anything more substantial. Looks like the Enterprise gets trashed and the crew find themselves stranded on a hostile alien planet.
    Being directed the a Fast & The Furious director isn't filling me with much hope. But I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I really hope my prediction of a long term plan proves true. I love the new cast and the modern production values, and I really hope they can marry the old Trek values with the new style and some more action. If they do that they'll really be onto a winning formula.

If they don't do a good job with this one thematically, they will lose a large percentage of "real" Trekkies, in order to swap them for new "action movies in space" fans.

Star Trek Beyond opens July 22nd, 2016.

Edit - this interview with the director has given me some hope that the teaser trailer is simply a "grab your attention" action intro, and the movie itself will be packing some proper brains:

2. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I have not watched the trailer yet.

For one, I think trailers don't do a great job telling us how good the film is. Sometimes you watch a trailer and think the film is mostly an action bang, when in fact they have just placed the 5 minutes of action the film had in the trailer and left all the other content out. Action just sells better, so they focus on it.

I can't honestly say I feel the reboot films are Star Trek. I can't relate to the characters and I think they don't feel much like they are related to the classic ones. They are nice films, but not real Star Trek films for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    I hope it's good. I never watched the television drama because it's like years before I was born, but I like the space exploring idea. The last 2 sucked, though...

4. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    they fucked it up. cmon its not star trek its fast and furious in space...

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    ... I disagree, it might at least be an intelligent thrill ride.
    The first movie was passable, the second was awful, this one looks promising to me. I like this younger version of the crew, they sort of have that same magic quality as did the original actors.

6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    wait what? Intelligent ride - because it is a sci-fi setting does not mean that movie is going to be intelligent and requite even a tiny bit of activity in those grey cells - cmon the trailer looks so sad, 0 intelligence in that movie - its an Action piece.

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    It appears as though they've sort of deconstructed things a bit, at least at first blush most of the movie seems to take place away from the Enterprise, which gives me hope that the movie is worthwhile.

8. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Daughter of Hell: I was not born in time to watch most of the TV series when they were first aired, but that is what DVD packs are for. So you can grab old stuff and watch it for 3 dollar the 120 minutes.

In fact, I had never cared too much for Star Trek until I picked up a pack with the classic films with the TOS crew, and then started harvesting the rest of the material.

9. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I tried to revisit the various Star Trek series recently, and I was shocked at how dull and plodding I found them to be. I didn't always feel this way. I grew up with Star Trek. I loved it so much that I religiously watched each new iteration as it aired. But now? Old Star Trek puts me to sleep.

Star Trek: The Original Series was the one I found most palatable when I revisited it. Perhaps out of all the pre-JJ Treks it has the most spark to it. Having said that, this is still not something I'll find myself going back to in order to watch it again and again. While some of the themes and scenarios continue to resonate, it has very much dated, and not always in a good way.

Star Trek: The Next Generation is interesting purely because it has Patrick Stewart in it. I think his presence lent it an air of legitimacy that it arguably didn't deserve. Honestly, a lot of it comes across as silly dress-ups on a sound stage and nothing more. It just never felt like a completely realised world to me which is absolutely crucial in fiction if you want to be able to suspend your disbelief and enjoy the story. The situations and themes were sometimes quite interesting (and even provocative) but then they completely undid all this by their insistence on having everything go back to its default settings by the time each episode ended. There were hardly ever any long-lasting consequences, and characters remained static. Very frustrating.

Of all of them, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine used to be my favourite. I loved Benjamin Sisko and Chief, and the Cardassians were an awesome alien race. Everything else? Meh. The religious themes were always a little under-cooked and underutilised, which is a shame because they did occasionally sneak in some thought provoking stuff about science vs. religion.

By the time Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise rolled around, I gave up on the idea of revisiting it. Replacing Kes with Seven of Nine in Voyager irritated the hell out of me, and Scott Bakula was criminally wasted in Enterprise. (His work in Quantum Leap had been so much more interesting.)

There was absolutely nothing engaging about Star Trek the franchise by this point. It had become a bland and lifeless shell of its former self, happy to settle with being full of its own supposed importance as a "cultural artifact". At least the current movies have brought that sense of fun and adventure back. They feel like they have actual blood pumping through their veins. There's thunder and chase. There's heart. I really do give a damn about what happens to the characters in these stories. That's why I like them far more than any other Star Trek thing to date.

By the way, I think Star Trek: Into Darkness was an excellent film. I think Benedict Cumberbatch made his Kahn the more emotionally compelling of the two we've seen so far, and the themes dealing with what constitutes terrorism made it substantially more than just a big, dumb action flick.

Having said all this, the trailer for the next film has me worried that they will indeed go into Fast and Furious territory. That truly will be dumbing it down, and will be as egregious a move as letting the whole franchise flat-line in the first place.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  10. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    They replaced Kes in a very cheap way and they made Torres somehow redundant in the crew, but many were happy with the change after they checked that Seven was more than just a hot blonde who had been included just for attracting males to the series. I have always thought that both Kes and Neelix were badly shoehorned into the ship to begin with.

The Kahn of Into the Darkness was very good in my opinion.

A small negative point I find in that film is that it follows the trend of heroes displaying moral reject to military institutions while being organized and acting like military forces. This also happened in Pacific Rhim... the film makers said that the military was a bad thing, so they chose to discard the usual military rank denominations in favour of a different one with the intent of making clear that the good guys were not a military force. However, in the end, the good guys are just an armed organitation using powerful war machines with gov funding and with the intention of defeting an enemy... you might not call it an army, but it surely feels like one.

I mean, Starfleet feels like an armada. They have court martials and each one of their ships have photon torpedos enough to fight a good battle. Just because the characters go around screaming that they are not soldiers does not make me feel that they aren't.

It is ok to dislike the military, but sometimes film makers do it in a very inconsistent way.

11. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well as Sad as it may be I hate the new spock, he is not spock-ish enough. And also

DO NOT OPEN 9GAG OR REDDIT ITS FILLED WITH STAR WARS SPOILERS RUINED MY DAY SO SAD GONNA CRY K THX BYE

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I feel like Cumberbatch could have been great as Kahn. However three things bothered me. Leaving it as a surprise that Cumberbatch was playing Kahn was stupid, which made his reveal to Kirk stupid. Like it was to be some great twist which it absolutely wasn't and I think as a character he lacked a bit of substance. Last I thought he got defeated too easily. This is some sort of super soldier and Spock just defeated him too easily.

Last, I thought the mirroring of the scene where Spock is dying in Wrath of Khan was silly. Still, the film is not as bad as others claim. I liked it, though I certainly preferred its predecessor. Concerning Beyond, I think I'll wait for the blu-Ray.

13. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    I'm NOT spending a week watching prehistoric Star Trek series! Gods, no. Star GATE, is my gen's stuff, but even the original of that was old and grinding for me. I only made it through the Atlantis one starring Khal Drogo. That was cool.

Are they making a new Star Wars movie too, or something? What's it about?

14. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I have heard of the new Star Wars movie, but I am just too scared of the possibility of it being ruined by Disney to consider paying it any attention.

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Star Trek Beyond was beyond disappointing. No thought, no ideas, no decent dialogue. Just an action movie in space with names you remember but…..that wasn’t Star Trek as I like to see it done. And I’m no original series purist, I only started watching with Next Generation.

I never thought I’d say it, but the second movie was better than this one, because at least they TRIED discussing the Prime Directive and what’s right and wrong, about actions and consequences, rights and responsibilities etc. As well as some good action scenes and having some fun.

Since the franchise was rebooted my wife (a Trek fan since the original series) has been unhappy with its direction. I was hoping against hope that it was all part of a cunning master plan - introduce a new crowd of ticket-buying fans to this New Action Trek, then slowly start to shoehorn in the more “Trek” aspects such as the moral conundrum and some intellectual dialogue and problems solved by scientists and engineers as well as phasers. We saw a glimpse of it in the second movie and I still held out hope. But this movie, when they could have done a bit of the same or expanded on it slightly while still keeping the action going, just didn’t even try.

Sadly, this movie was a big steaming pile of poo and I won’t watch it again or buy the DVD. So very disappointing :(

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    This reviewer pretty much nails it: (spoiler alert)

17. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I don't think every film needs an aesop. There is a place for cheap entertainment in which a simplistic interesting story is displayed to the audiences.

I suspect thatthe problem here is that old time trekkies are going to watch the film expecting to find something like the old Trek series, which obviously is another style. No surprise there are dissappointments.

18. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ST Beyond is a formulaic action film, plenty of CGI/action but little in the way of storyline. It's just another 'baddie wants revenge' iteration like the previous two rebooted ST films. If you just want visuals fine but it's just not ST.

At the same time as CBS/Paramount release this pap they've released new fan film guidelines which has potentially killed ST Axanar as well as popular fan series ST New Voyages/Phase 2 (already ceased as a result) and ST Continues.

Search tags for this page

how did kraal get an army star trek

star trek beyond enterprise-a forum