staffs

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Nokom, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Nokom

Nokom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am a big fan of this wepon.Always have been.I even own a few bo staffs.Know how to use em too.... :spam: woops!ok lets get down to biz.lets talk about how they are used and who uses them.lets talk of all things staffs!

2. Schmavid

Schmavid A simple wanderer.

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've never been a real big fan of staff's, however I must say that they are quite interesting and can defeat a sword user if made from a really nice hardwood. Their lightweight and the speed with which they can be used can fairly easily disable a sword fighter if used correctly.

3. Nokom

Nokom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes indeed.But in real life i am not so sure about the sword.but in fantasy indeed.

4. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You need good training but I have seen it happen, as with all things it is upto both fighters and how well they would know how to fight each other.

5. Nokom

Nokom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i am only 2 belts away from black belt.I have broke boards on fire and spared with staffs.I have never saw any one block a sword with it tough.but i have heard of it happening.

6. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Need good training with it, I've found that you have to deflect the sword with one, not block it, then go in close for your attack.

7. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Man-Sized Child

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    "Spare the staff and spoil the squire." Were you or the boards on fire? The first example would be impressive, but it's easier to break charcoal than wood.

Blocking is something you avoid with weapons. A block means you're over-committing; a "deflection," as you put it, is a parry, and yes, a staff is suitable for that purpose. It's worth noting, however, that traditionally a staff is a training weapon.

8. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Quite true yes, however it can be used as a weapon on its own and in such a way it was probably quite often used in this what when someone got close in with a spear and was unable to use it effectively enough.

9. Jackrabbit

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I didn't understand a word you just said.

After a few re-readings, I think it had something to do with spears in close combat; spearmen in that situation probably died quickly on the battlefield. It would be possible for someone to use the shaft of their spear as some sort of bludgeoning tool, but at the range where a staff becomes useful, you might as well be using the spearpoint.

A staff is effective because it's a lever, and a lever becomes less effective when you move the fulcrum closer to the force; you should be attacking with the ends of the weapon if you want to do any real damage.

You can debate that as much as you like, but there's no real point to it. :p

10. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, that one is a little hard to read, but yes you did get the gist of what I was attempting to say.

11. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    George Silver (google him if you've never heard of him) reckons that for unarmoured combat, the staff is the best weapon. Imagine an 8 foot long, 2 inch thick staff of solid english oak being swung with force by a skilled user. Sword - clang. Bones - crunch. Opponent - dies.

Lots of people scoff at staff, and against a big shield and someone wearing armour of course it'll be dramatically less effective, that's why spear heads and bill hooks and halberd heads etc were added. But as a weapon for unarmoured combat, getting inside the hitting zone of an 8 foot, 2 handed weapon is not going to be easy with a 4 foot sword.

12. Jackrabbit

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, George Silver does say that, but it seems fairly certain that the particular section of his writing was hyperbole.

Not to mention, of course, that George Silver contradicts much of the other literature of his time (including himself, sometimes) in many respects; It makes him difficult to cite. He spends a lot of time simply contradicting the Italians, out of English pride.

"I hate rapiers! They're silly! Italians are silly! Italy is silly! You are silly! Rapiers don't work 'cause they're all... um... silly! I can't even cut with this thing! It's only good for poking! How am I supposed to defend with this?! This is silly! Sillyhead!"

(Schmavid: I just reread what I wrote last night, and it occurs to me now that it sounded a little testy; nothing intended by that, I was up later than normal.)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  13. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    No offense taken Jackrabbit.

14. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I believe Silver contradicted much of the literature at the time because it was getting people killed. His idea of a good fighter was one who could win successive fights against a numbe rof opponents and escape uninjured.

And having seen some italian vs english rapier style demonstrated, those italians seemed to have a death wish!

15. Jackrabbit

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Silver didn't have a different rapier style, he just hated rapiers and felt they were useless.

Italian and French fencing were the predocessors of modern sport fencing, and I can assure you (from experience) that their methods are effective. Sometimes they can be counter-intuitive, but they work much better than the alternative.

Of course, if you can show me something from a later Englishman who wrote on fencing with the same weapon as someone else as someone of the same period, I could draw a good conclusion, but the only literature I've seen from Italian and French fencers was on the single sword or sword and dagger, and unfortunately Silver simply refuses to address them. I'm reading over it again, though, for safety's sake. (EDIT: the cloak is offerred as a defensive weapon in italian fencing manuals, which I'll admit seems really silly.)

Of course, the only experience I can judge from is sport fencing and what little weapons training I got from my asian martial arts schools.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  16. Rathor

Rathor White Wolf Sourcerer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Staffs. Can we get back to the subject? I have just created my staff! :) Made of ash (wood not the ash from burnt paper). It is completely straight, but at the to It twists around itself and forms a "hand" the holds a crystal ball. heheheh. Good for scrying when I am down the woods.

17. Rathor

Rathor White Wolf Sourcerer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    top, it*