!Spoiler! Ending of His Dark Materials

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by Meteorain, May 1, 2006.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Ok...so I want to rant about the ending of the Amber Spyglass and why Pullman ****ed up such a good trilogy with such an annoying ending which can actually be pulled apart.

Firstly....he says that they cannot live together because after 10 years you start becoming sing. Fair enough. But then they can just move between worlds to cure this.

Yet it says they cannot do this because all the openings means a loss of dust. But dust is created more than it it lost. Firstly because that main hole down in hell was closed by the angels, and not to mention the angels went around closing every other hole. Secondly, dust is created much faster than it dissapers. Why? because dust is created just by something having though. And with the huge populations in each universe the amount of dust created far out weighs the amount of dust lost considering all the holes have been closed up.

Then he goes to to say that the Spectres created through each hole being opened is not fair on the people in the italian sounding place. But that cannot be right. The spectre's are created from that huge gap down in hell, and that gap was closed up by the angels, which again doesn't fit.

So all in all, I am pissed of because it wasn't a happy ending, and to top it all, the reasons for the ending did not even agree with what else happened in the book.

I really hope he releases a new book or trilogy fixing this.

2. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Meh, I need to re-read this trilogy. I don't remember much of that ^ :confused:

I agree though, it's something that really needs to be resolved. The ending is really sad I think, which I suppose is a little refreshing from the quintessential happy ending, but after all Will and Lyra go through together, you're kind of cheering for them at the end...Only to have them be seperated. Kind of like the whole Yuna-Tidus deal, only much sadder. Lame :(

I think though, that Pullman has said he's finished with that, and that he will write no more of Will and Lyra. The Book of Dust which I mentioned in another thread may refer to them, but I don't think it will be about them.

3. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    There was one after story called Lyra's Oxford...but that was really crap.

Even though he may not write...he could ATLEAST re-release something that is not so goddamn annoyinglu stupid because if doesn't fit.

I've been wanting to rant about that for years now...I remember the book so vividly....my last read was about 2 years ago lol

4. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    It's been about 5 years since I last read it...I really need to re-read it...Probably once I've finished ASoIaF actually.

Did you know NLC is making films based on these books? Northern Lights/The Golden Compass is supposed to be out next year I believe. Should be interesting, especially since they reckon the trilogy will cost them more than LOTR did (which granted, wasn't all that much really)

Can't wait to see Iorek! :D They better not fcuk him up!

5. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yea...I heard about the film.

I hope they don't take out the God Killing...although he wasn't really a God and what not. BUt still....they should keep in the controversial stuff, it's what made it a good read.

Yea...Iorek should be awesome too see

6. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    After seeing Jesus get the crap beaten out of him for like an hour in Gibson's Passion, I don't see how they can take out a little Angel fighting :D

But yeah, the issue of religion is fairly prominent in these books, and to take that out would be unacceptable. If they do that, they might as well not make the films.

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly what I was thinking....although they could just turn into some pr0n film between Lyra and Will...but that would be weird lol.

I really still would write some more about the series....why do people who write such good stuff, that is loved by so many people, and ended so stupidly refuse to write anymore? (taking the Neon Genesis Evangelion creator as an example).

I just don't see how it would hurt him to finish it properly....I would love to read a sequel...but the content might not make up to the pervious stuff...which could be really hard.

8. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that would be weird...I mean, they're only little kids :yak:

And I don't know why he refuses to write more...There's got to be plenty left in that noggin I'm sure, but he saw fit to end it with a trilogy. I'm sure he's gotten some pretty negative feedback concerning the ending. You'd think that would spur him to write some more. He must've known people would be angry at the way it ended.

I dunno, maybe he'll change his mind in time...Might check out his site, see what's going on there and if there's any info.

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    People who get angry because of the content of a FICTICIOUS book are really annoying. If you don't like what the book is about...then don't bloody well read it. Don't go and read a book that you won't like the content of and have the gall to complain about it.

10. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Exactly! They should put warnings on books & films etc so that all those b@stards who're easily offended by fiction can avoid damaging their fragile minds or souls or whatever their problem is lol.

That way, all us reasonable people can watch or read whatever we like without the content being edited to cater to a bunch of whiny idiots.

11. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Nothing should be edited just because some people think or feel differently to others. Each person is entitled to their own opinion when it comes to things like this. If you don't like it, don't read/watch it, simple as that.

But where were we....yes I am sure he got some negative feedback to all the controversial things, but I am also sure he got a hefty dose of positive feedback. Although I wonder if he has ever stated for finishing the Trilogy like that.

12. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking more of him receiving negative feedback because of the way the series ended, but yeah, the controversial issues the books contain will also have been frowned upon in certain circles, I'm sure.
    As for positive, I'm sure he received that in abundance. He's created a fantastic story as far as I'm concerned, with a cast of memorable characters.

I found this letter he wrote: http://www.randomhouse.com/features/pullman/philippullman/letter.html
    That site is pretty outdated it would seem, as the letter concerns the release of the amber spyglass. The important line though, reads: "...And it is the end. Lyra's story, and Will's, have finished now, and they come to the end in a garden, as I always intended..."

Shame, though obviously a lot could've changed since then.

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Right now....I really hate him for saying that....

So uncalled for....Right let's lynch him. But seriously....I have always hope he woul reconsider adding some more....the ending....I just don't agree damnit....it should be happy and lovely dubbly, with Will and Lyra going off together and what not >_<