SPOILER deathly hallows

Discussion in 'Books' started by clouded_perception, Jul 21, 2007.

1. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was great; a fitting ending, and I kinda miss it.

Yes, it was predictable, but it's always been predictable. It's presentation that counts, not whether or not you can trick/surprise me, which doesn't happen often to anyone whose read/watched alot of books/movies.

Thought with #5 and especially #6 she was kinda slipping, so I'm glad to see that she was back in her best form for the final book.

Major gripe - modern novelists it seems have no appreciation for falling action in a story. They put the climax(es) running up to the last pages and leave you hanging and stuffed full of adrenalin. I need (especially if I've bothered to follow you for a full seven books) more exposition on the future of the characters now that major plot has been dealt with. (Not just some cutesy send up) I disagree entirely that this would not have fit with the rest to have had a real epilogue. After the breakneck pace and big finish you are supposed to slow down and level off so I can finish the series peacefully. It's called closure, and its necessary for a series that was built entirely around one major conflict. For something like the Sopranos, which was always only meant to represent one little slice out of a life in the mafia, it genius to end abrubtly and without resolution, because there is no central conflict --the story is ongoing, life for the family existed before the portion excerpted and presented in the show, and it will go on in much the same way afterward. Harry Potter is not like that, there has been a very specific arc with a very specific end point since the very beginning --so tying up the characters stories and lives at the end (in other words having a conclusion) lets me know how they have dealt with the ultimate affects of their great struggle which is now over.

2. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    for me, overall, great book. i thought the plot was exciting because they were in such a bad situation, and i was always curious to see how they overcame that problem. The deaths were very realistic and that was just fine, i didnt like how remus and tonks died, because of their child. I thought it was ok that fred died, but i was pretty sad about that. I liked how Neville got courageous, and i had a pretty good feeling Snape was a good man. I thought hedwig dieing sucked. I never really liked mad-eye much so that was ok. The ending was nice, i like how everyone got married.

good book :D

3. Lady Aria

Lady Aria Daughter of the Stars

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Wow you just made my day Alchemist thank you so much!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -0
    :) Your welcome.

If you are interested in whatever Harry Potter/Rowling news there is, http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/ is always worth checking daily. That is where I get my HP/Rowling news.

5. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Taken from an interview from JK She answers many questions:
    http://the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/7/30/j-k-rowling-web-chat-transcript

"Harry and Ron work for the Ministry of Magic as Aurors. They have revolutionised the Auror Department, and Kingsley Shacklebolt makes Harry department head"

Hermione it says "Hermione works for the Ministry and is "pretty high up" in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and has ensured the eradication of oppressive, pro pure-blood laws, although she began her post-Hogwarts career by working in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, where she is instrumental in greatly improving life for house-elves and their ilk.

"Following Hogwarts, Ginny joins the Holyhead Harpies and, after spending a few years on the team as a celebrated player, later retires to raise her family and becomes Senior Quidditch correspondent at the Daily Prophet"

6. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Ooh, interesting! Thanks hendy and Alchemist! :)

7. Kestrel

Kestrel Fool's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm so glad for that interview and the fact that she's going to be doing an encyclopaedia. I didn't have too much trouble with the epilogue; I can understand why she kept it simple - she wanted get across the message, plain and simple, that all was well. However, I do think that chimera has a very valid point in that...well...closure was necessary for a story such as this (which is, again, why I'm happy she did that interview). I think most people would have been more satisfied with closure!epilogue than cutesy!epilogue. However, I accept how it is. She didn't just write for her readers, she also wrote for herself (perhaps more so...) and that was the ending that she wanted and was happy with.

8. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but we don't care what she wants, I R READERS, we want what we want not what she wants, it may be selfish but it's true.I'm happy about the encyclopaedia.

9. Kestrel

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Aye, well, tough. You got what you got and that's that. Quit griping. It's not gonna change it.

10. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    We will get what we want when the encyclo...blah blah...comes out, I R READERS will be satisfied.We jsut wanted to know what happend to the rest of people and if they also gave such idiotic names to their children.

11. Kestrel

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    As do I. So what are we arguing about?

(PS. Scorpius > Albus Severus)

12. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    We ware arguing?Where was I when this took place?:p

(don't get me started whit the names, I will seriously break something)

13. Kestrel

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Busy breaking something, perchance?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    i have a question about a part in the book. and if its been covered in this thread already then dont blame my laziness, blame communism. anyway: when Harry "died", and he was talking to Dumbledore, what the heck was that thing moaning and screaming under the chair? i didnt understand that at all.

15. Kestrel

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That baby represented the piece of Voldemort's soul that had been residing in Harry; mutilated, unnatural, basically an abomination. This explains why Harry later gives Voldemort a last chance to repent as he's seen what Voldemort will become if he doesn't: an eternity of existing in constant torment and agony.

16. AshesDown

AshesDown Risen

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    not to get off topic, but thank you for those interview links! I hadn't seem them before, very interesting and answered some questions! I can't wait for the encyclopedia

17. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    thank you very much :)

18. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok Ive been thinking about this lately and I need some help.
    What was the point of the hallows......???????
    They had no out come on the end of the book what so ever?
    Harry survived in the forrest because of his link to voldermort (voldemort became harrys horcrux without ripping his soul) basically because his blood was voldermorts...
    So what im trying to get at is what was the point in the hallows apart from wasting time?

19. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    So Voldemort could be killed by the Elder Wand without Harry having to AK him, I assume.

20. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this book was just a set of some realy impposible series of events...it just didn't feel right, it was so streched.

Search tags for this page

why were the deatheaters reluctant to give volemort their wands