SPOILER deathly hallows

Discussion in 'Books' started by clouded_perception, Jul 21, 2007.

1. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Seriously, don't read this thread unless you want the last book to be ruined before you read it, or see the movie! You've been warned!!!

Well, that was... very dramatic. An airborne Death Eater fight in chapter 3 featuring Voldemort ... chapter 3 is a record. And she likes killing off characters, doesn't she? (I LIKED Dobby!)

Well? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I thought the death count was pretty high too. But I have to point out which, for me, had to be the best moment in the book - Molly Weasley killing Bellatrix. It was completely ridiculous but such a truly great moment.

Other points: Tonks and Lupin... I'm not entirely sure that Harry's lecturing on the duties of fatherhood (not that I didn't agree with him) added to the book, but it was still a sad end to their story :(.
    Neville....he kicked @ss!!! The DA resistance was great. Same goes for Luna, Dean and Ginny.
    Potterwatch....that radio show was one of my favourite parts of the book.

Otherwise, it was quite predictable if you'd kept an eye on the fora... R.A.B. and the Horcruxes were the big ones, not one surprise there. And after reading about the battle of Hogwarts a few pages back, the epilogue was pretty saccharine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    I really loved it. There were a lot of deaths, but that made it more realistic. I hate books when the good guys never die, they always seem to come out unharmed.
    Poor Dobby though. That one was really sad, I liked him too. :(

The ending was a little sappy, but I liked how everything came full circle, the names of the kids, watching them going to school. They went through so much pain and horror, but had full, happy lives in the end. :)

I'll add more thoughts later. :D

4. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hrm...I'll have to get to the library and get my hands on this book...I'm not personally a fan, but I am rather curious to know how it all turns out, other than what I've read here. :p

5. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    You should! It was the best book of the series, packed full of action and info. And everything that happens to their society is fasinating. I kept thinking it was like a peek into the beginning of the Nazi regime, since Voldy is based on him. It's a must read in my opinion. :D

6. Hermione Malfoy

Hermione Malfoy Pureborn and Proud

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    The moment that had me in tingles was when one of Harry's sons was named after a man he thought he would hate, destroy, and kill!!!! He even called him brave; Jo didn't disappoint me in the slightest. Neville was fantastic; and when Narcissa lied to save Harry because he told her that her son was alive was a brilliant moment.

Also, didn't you feel that it was rather cool of her to write that scene with Fenrir drooling over Hermione and wanting her ... VERY grown up for a childrens book I thought. And hey, I read and write HP fanfic and some of the stuff that happened I wrote in my fanfic stories ... and I have a right to feel vindicated in my guess about who's side Snape was on! WOOOHOOOT!!!!!

7. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    There are going to be some very smug Snape fans around. Those of us with accurate predictions are gonna be saying "I told you so..." for weeks.

I don't mind admitting that there were tears in my eyes when Kreacher led the House Elves to help.

Molly vs. Bellatrix rocked.

The twins! I thought Percy would be the Weasley to buy it!

I thought Harry would end up teaching at Hogwarts, or at least Minister for Magic. Guess he just wanted a quiet life...

Which chapter do you think had her in floods of tears? Dobby? Snape?

8. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I agree with everything Lyanna said. Especially Neville suddenly becoming cool.

Unraveller, everyone had accurate predictions. It's not possible, for instance, for anyone to have believed Snape was a bad guy (now someone's going to contradict me and I'll look like an idiot...) and, well, they even mentioned RAB's locket in book 5. (Although I thought it was suspicious that they remembered that one particular detail, and Harry remembered the name of a wandmaker he'd only heard spoken once before, etc.) I feel sorry for Kreacher now, and his character makes more sense.

The one thing I got wrong was Harry being an accidental horcrux... I thought he was Voldemort's sixth deliberate horcrux, instead of the snake...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  9. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Plenty of people thought he was bad, especially after he killed Dumbledore. You even argued against some of them in previous threads ;)

10. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Well, that was definitely alot of deaths.

Not many surprises, I think everything was foreshadowed in the previous books. Everything from Snape not being evil, Harry & Nagini being Horcruxes was discussed and figured out long before this book came out.

I had thought Dobby might not make it. He's too annoying and one dimensional. (sorry to his fans)

The whole regime under Volemort was interesting. I had wanted to see exactly what his plans were for the wizarding world. It was amazing how quickly everyone went along with the bringing in Muggle-born wizards for questioning. The whole ministry wasn't confunded or under the imperius charm. Many of the wizards must have had leanings towards pure-bloodedness, even if they remained unspoken. I wasn't shocked at all to see Dolores Umbridge involved. It's a shame she survived the book.

I thought the deaths of Tonks and Lupin were rather unnecessary though. They survived through most of the book to be killed as rather an after thought at the end.

11. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I think she intended that as a parallel to Harry, he's now looking after him as Sirius was never able to.

12. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 2 / -0
    Hrm... what to say...

First of all, I almost feel shame I've just read the last book in a monumental septology (at the lack of a better word). I might say that I think Jo got carried away just here and there, though. I would have liked if Harry would have stayed dead, for instance. Maybe Ron should have taken up the cup, or Neville, I don't know. I really did like the part where he sneaked of to die, essentially. Untill he summoned his dead friends, that is. It sort of broke the spell for me.

I was hoping for a sort of obituary at the end, though. Maybe not unlike the last chapter of the Half-Blood Prince. And yes, I am very curious how Harry chose to fill in the rest of his life, other then starting to produce children when he's about my age. As much I've liked to learn that about the rest of the gang.

And I must say I develloped a soft spot for dear old (young?) Luna. As did Neville, she really came to her right and (some sort of) maturation in this book. Not all people are bound to get together, but those two would have made a decent couple after what they've been through - both alone and together.

Dolores was wearing the golden locket, Salazar's golden locket. I think it influenced her, not unlike it influenced Ron. Shame we don't know exactly when she got it... After she was robbed of her precious artefact, we hadn't heared of her again, far as I remember. Should make a re-read tho.

Good point, Rav. There might have been one or two other reasons, though. I still recognise that the shear number of survivers of the Battle for Hogwarts is too high for the situation. All the weasley family less Fred and all of the major and minor leaders of the DA, the Order less Lupes and Tonks. I was expecting death left, right and center, with this number of Death Eaters and all sorts of dangerous creatures about. Joanne had to kill off some of our champions, and Tonks and Lupin seemed to fit the describtion, I suppose.

The other reason I recognise is that he was the final member of the Marauders still alive. The time of the old Order had passed. It was time for their successors to take over. With Harry as their main man. Not that Lupin was in his way, but he was a sort of remnant of a last dynasty, and I would have killed him off for that reason alone, if it was me writing...

Ow, and it's a good thing we didn't bet anything on whether Harry would bite it or not, it could be reasoned eithe way, I suppose heh?
    Interesting though, how he was the Master of Death, by legend, at the moment he died. Although he was not physically holding all three at that moment, he was the "rightfull owner" of them all. And beated/cheated death, as was prophecized. Wonderfull...

As to the ring, though... I would wager a guess a house elf finds it at some point in time, lives for a thousand years in madness, after which he will be tricked out of it by a goblin, who passes it to his son. Then a wizzard will tell him to destroy it, followew by a long and epic journey... Jo, you've got your work cut out for you!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  13. Oeufa

Oeufa Cracked Egg

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that was very interesting. A good amount of action in the first 3/4 chapters, and then NOTHING happened really until harry says voldemorts name and along come the death eaters. I personally found the book a bit wanting (it was SO skinny compared to some of the others), and I think jk dragged out harry + hermione in tent for way too long.

I miss Dobby :( Poor elf

I loved the chapters all about dumbledore (when they're both dead) and Snape (his memories) Two of her best characters! Although that Snape turned out to be nice, -.- that sucked a bit

AND draco? evil? puh-lease. that was a bit pathetic on JKs part.

14. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    *yawn*

Well that sums up my feelings for the book :) I liked Neville, Luna & Kreacher but the story, pacing, action etc were boringly predictable. The solutions to the hurdles faced too easily solved or dropped into their laps. I certainly didn't think it was a 'page-turner'.

I give it 4/10 max

*Puts on hard hat against attacks from Potterites*

15. Ellemorpheus

Ellemorpheus Owner of Your Soul

Severus Snape's giant and luxurious four poster in
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was great. The travelling bits were somewhat boring but I think Jo did that so that we would feel what they felt more.... bored. haha. It wasn't enough to keep me from turning the pages though.

I think Tonks and Remus dying completed a circle in the books. It was sad, but it made sense.

I found the story fascinating and compelling. And I was overjoyed when Harry named his son after Albus and Severus. I knew Snape was good, (See Avatar) and I squealed with delight when I read it.

I do wish that we knew so much more about what happened after Voldemort was killed. I want to know what happened to each of the deatheaters and all of the people at the ministry.

I can't wait for all of the fanfiction that will have been prompted by the book. Obviously the door has been opened to tell of the children of them all. It could be dubbed, Harry Potter Fanfic. : The Next Generation. ;p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I was waiting the whole book to find out Snape wasn't evil, I knew it! That alone was worth reading the book.

Ending was pretty predictable...but overall i liked the book.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -0
    I loved this book. Best of them all. Alot of deaths, I am sad for Dobby, but I am really sad for Hedgwig :(

Some was predictable, but still amazing. People who I thought would die, lived, and vice versa.
    I actually have nothing bad to say about this book, I loved it and will read it again as soon as my wife finishes.
    As for the ending, not too sappy at all.

18. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but I thought they were just leading me on...

Did anyone else find the sudden introduction of the deathly hallows and all these rules about wand alleigance a bit random? I mean, people have been disarmed tons of times in previous books and it never mattered. And what's it with the rule about not conjuring food? Where to you draw the line for what counts as food? As my brother put it, "So, can you conjure a chair that just happens to be made of crackers?"

19. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -0
    I dont think the wand allegiance random, I always felt something more was to the wands. Just because one is disarmed would not mean the wand "turned its back", so to speak, on its previous owner, that was a particular part of the Elder Wand. It was even said in the earlier books that wands from other wizards would not work as well for a different one.

And there had to be a line drawn somewhere, you cannot create something from nothing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  20. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 2 / -0
    Well, we'll have to study that bit, I suppose. I think it has happened on previous occasions where wizzards tried to act with different people's wands. I think Quirell's famous backfire is one of these. Bottom line is that it should work, but not as well as for their own wands.

As to that, I'm very curious what Grindelwald made of the Elder Wand. I got the acquired it by means of theft from that wand crafter, not by battle, if I read correctly. Maybe that's the reason why Dumbledore was still able to overcome him in that "legendary duel of 1945". And as to that sense, even then it's doubtfull Albus was it's true master...

As for the food bit, I'd like to think of it the other way around. One would be perfectly able to conjure a birthday cake - as long as it's made of concrete or something of equall nutrition. As long as it can be eaten, it can't be conjured. Anyone else know the other three basic rules by the way? I know resurrection is not possible... And we're after another 11 uses of dragon blood - if anyone wants to have a go :p

Search tags for this page

why were the deatheaters reluctant to give volemort their wands