Special: Are you it?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Jul 18, 2012.

?

So? Do you think you're special?

1. Yes!

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No...

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn Author, artist, gamer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've always set myself aside as being somewhat more intelligent than the masses. I feel I am rather talented at my craft, so I suppose I see myself as special, even if my self-esteem isn't as high as it used to be.

2. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    That's rather warming, really. If I was made, maybe there's a plan? Now I just need to get off my keister and find out what it is!

3. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -1
    I think the speaker found it "warming" too, or at least that's the impression I got. She also talked a lot about "getting out of your own way", saying people talk themselves out of a lot of stuff. People fall into the belief that they "can't" do something and once they believe that, they really can't. That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe people who are "special" in their area(s) of expertise are just people who believed that they were?

4. Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn Author, artist, gamer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sounds like Landmark. Excellent group, and they talk about stuff like "getting out of your own way." It used to be called Est Training, but now it's a bit more friendly, but still as affective.

5. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Special? Hell no. But maybe all I need to be is "me". Whatever that turns out to be.

6. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I don't mind being insignificant in the greater scheme of things. 300 years from now, not a single person will know my name. It doesn't matter to me because I know my name. Every day I get one step closer, or take three steps back, to knowing who I really am and hopefully someday discovering the Truth.

No, I'm not special in the sense that I matter to anyone but my family and friends. But I am special, to me. This is my life, and I only get one shot. Even if I get reincarnated, or any of the other ideas of what happens when you die, I will never be Rhiannon R. Hoagland again. I'll never be able to look at the world and experience it in this mind or this body with these people and events.

It's my life, and I own it, and by the gods that makes me special to me. Not to anyone else, but to me, and like I said that's because my life is mine and I am mine, only once. I don't even exist to the people all over the world that don't know me, my existence means nothing and I have no purpose(s) but the one(s) I give myself.

I don't know, it probably doesn't sound positive, but it is. It all makes me so happy to live and be alive, even when I am struggling with depression, mania, or the crazy and sad things that happen in my life. Each day is a chance to build my world up to make it so much more special to me.

I probably didn't make much sense, I've been thinking about this for a while now and this is the first time I've actually put any of it into words, so it's very disjointed... and I'm short on time to explain better -.-

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    No I'm not special. Although I've been told that I am special. But in a special ed kinda way.

8. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I'm not one of those people who thinks everyone is special, in fact I think most people aren't all that special. But you, Stormy, are indeed special. And I think Liv is right... in 300 years it will all be forgotten. In a way I think that's sort of beautiful. We're temporary creatures just like all the other animals.

9. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I have never thought that anything were special about me. Interesting that someone else think so.

And I agree to the second part. :)