Spear, starting out

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Gavaha, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey,

this is a thread for those who want to start out with the spear. The first step is to aquire a ebu. An ebu is basicly a pole make for practicing spear. It is not as long as a basic spear, since it is only to practice the moves. If you would like a nice ebu, do what I did:

Go to your local home inprovement place and get a nice closet pole. A good length to go by is about 5 to 5 1/2 feet, depending on your length. You should be able to stand with your hands in the middle of the pole and slide your front hand up as far as it goes and still have room. Then sand your pole until it is nice and smooth. Then paint it a color if desired (I painted mine black). Then you want to laquer it (if you painted it a color, use a clear laquer) You should laquer it 3-4 times, giving it a light rub with steel wool. Then you have your ebu. There is also going out and buying one at a local karate store for about 30$.

Once you have aquired your ebu or a substitute, you should get into the lazy man stance, feet apart as far as your shoulders, hands in the middle of the pole, but not together. You must be relaxed, do not tense up. Then practice on the basic thrust.

To do the basic thrust you must slide the pole forward, backhand stays where it is and front just slides in place. At the same time your back foot slides forward. Then to "release from body" you will angle pole downwards, lifting it up and slide your pole back, but moving the front foot forward instead. Then going back to the lazy man stance. To practice aiming make a stand, stated in a different thread. Practice this many times, this should be fluid, begginers do not have to be fast.

2. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Aiming Cont'

A important part when thrusting with a spear is to aim before the thrust, otherwise the thrust is moving around to much. This is a important factor when thrusting.

When thrusting with the aiming target a good area to get is where your heart is, and don't forget to AIM BEFORE YOU THRUST. Why I push this so much is because it is a very important thing. Another important thing is to relaxe, do not be tense.

Practice makes perfect. (or so we hope)

3. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    hey Gavaha I just got the medeivil book you told us about and its great so far thanks and thanks for the spear tips

4. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    np, always glad to help :)