Spam threads

Discussion in 'Comments & Suggestions' started by Adina, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    That is what we're trying to avoid.

In all fairness to Boom, though, he created this board, brought it to the standard that we still to this day use as a guideline. While we've relaxed many of the rules (and don't forget that many of the rules were instituted because Blades By Brown was the sponsor), and yet still many people complain about the rules.

In reference to the "Any girls here need some hobbit love???" incident, those things happen all the time, but much of it is taken care of before most members notice. But there's nothing stopping the pervo from saying he's going to post a legit thread, and starting off the first or second post with "Any girls here need some hobbit love???", right?

Many of you don't realize what we admins do behind the scenes.

I usually don't do this, but here is an example -- with names removed,
    Reply:
    See, the person totally missed the point that he was being disrespectful, and in actuality the "moron" and "silly" was just an example of other slurs he had used. But instead the person focussed on defending his poor behaviour and that "silly" was not a worthy enough insult to be mentioned. In fact, it was just a part of a larger problem.

And, in fact, the other person involved HAD been given notice. Not that it should matter, but I **had** it covered.

My response:
    Well, this obviously was more than the person could handle.

So instead of handling it maturely, the person decided to both PM and post this message:

See, this is is the abuse that a VOLUNTEER job brings. The exchange continued for a few more email exchanges (in language I cannot post here). In the end, the poster is banned and we move on.

But really, what I find the biggest crime? It sucks my time. I have better things to do that to get into a shouting match with some anonymous idiot whining because it's been pointed out that he's being an idiot. I can think of least 101 things that I'd rather be doing.

So, while it may seem like my responses are a little terse, keep in mind that many of the situations have a precedence involved, and we try to maintain a balance between being strict while not being too restrictive.

Approving individual threads? Nope. Sorry. I really don't picture me (or any of the other admins/mods) volunteering to take that job on.

Much easier to delete offending threads than it would be to email a hundred people as to "Why, why, why won't you approve my thread? Waaaaaaaaaaah!! You Forum Nazi! In the other [insert large number here] forums I belong to they let us post what we want." :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    Hey Skyanide, I didn't know you had to deal with stuff like that...and yeah it is a volunteer job and you shouldn't have to waste your personal time to deal with people like that...you are very respected by me cause you are the one as well as the other admins that ensure that no one else on TFF has to deal with them! Thanks a bunch!

3. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Thank you.

I hope I didn't come off as (too) complaining, I just wanted to make my point.

All of the admins and mods do a good job here, and they do it on their own time.

And while there is an occasional person here or there that tests our patience, we do it for the most part because we like the people here. :)

4. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    didnt know where to put this, just a pointer, some idiot have put spammy advertising threads in the movies section, which need deleting. Keep the streets clean!

5. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    There's a report post button next to the rep one :) I dunno what exactly it does, but I think it's for offensive (or spam) posts.

6. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Ill try it.