Soul of the Fire

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Confessor, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Please discuss Soul of the Fire in this section.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    I can't remember what goes on exactly in this novel seeing how I've only read it once, so I will give my thoughts once I have read it. :)

3. Smurf

Smurf Finrod Felagund

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I try to remember, is it the one where they go to ... I think Anderith?

4. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yep, this is the one where Richard and Kahlan go to Anderith to try and convince them to join with the D'Haran Empire. This is the book where magic fails as well I believe, and where Zedd makes up the "Lurk", when it is in fact, the chimes who're responsible.

This is a very good book in my opinion. You're introduced to some very interesting characters, such as Stein, the Imperial Order representative, and Dalton Campbell.
    I like the treachery in this story. Dalton Campbell and Bertrand act like they're going to side with D'Hara, but are all the while plotting to hand Richard and Kahlan over to the Imperial Order, thinking that Jagang will actually reward them for doing so. Richard spends all his time going around Anderith, speaking the truth about the Imperial Order, only for his hardwork to be undone by the officials of Anderith. Richard thinks he winning the people over, but has no idea he is being discredited until it's too late.

This is also the book where Kahlan learns she is pregnant with Richard's child. Unfortunately, she is beaten to the brink of death by Hakens under order of Dalton Campbell, and she loses her baby. This is obviously a pretty sad part of the book, especially when Richard realises that the badly beaten person he found was his wife, and that she has lost the baby he didn't know she was carrying.

The story results in Anderith being overrun by the Imperial Order, not assimilated, and Dalton and Bertrand are surely put to death, and all the women enslaved. Good book, and sets up the story for an even better sequel :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Smurf

Smurf Finrod Felagund

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Definately... and is it the empire who have those big bell things that destroy pretty much everything in their path?

6. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the Dominie Dirtch.

This is a pretty significant area, as it's where the first Imperial Order troops start killing the Anderith soldiers, who're in fact just girls. Beata, the prominent Haken girl in the book, fights here, and is kept alive by Cara, even though her Agiel doesn't work. The prominent Haken boy Fitch, however, is not so lucky. Just back from Aydindril, having stolen the Sword of Truth, I believe he takes a Mace to the head :cool:

7. Malek Rahl

Malek Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No its the Anderith people who have the Dominie Dirtch, thee Emporor wants to take over Anderith so he can have control of the Dirtch,

8. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I think that's what he meant...he just called Anderith the Empire.

Welcome to the forums btw :) Always nice to have more Sword of Truth fans here.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  9. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    i remember my brothers discussing soul of the fire before i started the series and what captured my attention as well my imagination was the dominie dirtch. the name...the sound of it...i just had to know what it was. it had to be cool, there couldn't be anything cooler. at least until i heard them speak of the chicken monster [alias] the lurk [alias] the chimes. my favorite moment was when the chicken monster stood in the window as the lightning flashed...totally hitchcockian.

10. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Oh yea! The mad chicken!! LOL. I thought that was kind of silly. A chicken hurting people but it worked out all right. :)

11. chancock

chancock New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that having such a harmless animal able to kill people is spooky. Imagine getting your jugler riped open or your eyes pecked out by a chime Chicken and being totaly helpless. Yikes! Sure the idea of a chicken monster sounds goofy but it worked well-especially with how frightened Kahlan was.

12. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. That whole scene when she was trapped in the house with the chime Chicken was excellently told I thought. A chicken it may have been, but it had a sinister power that Kahlan was aware of, and her fear was as justified as it was convincing.

13. chancock

chancock New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So what do you think is scarier the chicken or the Dirtch??

14. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    As stupid as this may sound, probably the chicken. I mean, with the dirtch, you've got these huge pieces of stone, and horrifying stories of what they're capable of.
    The chime chicken on the other hand, is an unknown entity. It looks like a chicken, but you know it possesses great power and you're not sure what it's capable of. That, to me at least, makes it the scarier of the two.