Sons of Elrond?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Glandros, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Glandros

Glandros New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ask this of all the Tolkien readers I meet. What do you think happened to Elladan and Elrohir, the twin sons of Elrond, at the end of the Third Age?
    We know that they had to choose, as all the elves did. And we know that whatever choice one made, the other probably would. But do you think they chose to leave Middle-Earth with the other elves, or stay behind?
    Tolkien left this open, just as he did many things. I think it was more so you could decide what you thought.
    I think they may have stayed behind. After all, Elrond says that this is the Age of Men, yet he still sends his sons to Aragorn's side in the War of the Ring. Perhaps he still didn't trust men to defend their lives alone. And perhaps his sons emulate this and stay behind with their sister...
    What do you think?

2. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I was always under the belief that they stayed behind and continue to live in Rivendell with the odd elf that didn't go over. There are also the odd few who don't do what the rest do.

3. Glorfindel

Glorfindel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Personally...because they were so close to Aragorn (first foster-fathers, then foster-brothers to him) I think they would have stayed until he died in IIII120 (that's the right year right?) Legolas also did this (i think).

If not that, then I bet they stayed with their sister and went with her to Lorien and died with her.

4. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do not think they died, I think they went to Valinor together with their Grandfather Celeborn and maybe thranduil too.
    ( the Sindar also belonged to the Eldar and I am almost positive
    they also went to Valinor but just later on), look at Celeborn, he did not go with his wife but stayed for a while in Rivendel, I find it hard to believe that he became mortal and died.

5. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I always thought that they styaed behind for quite awhile, maybe eventually going to Valinor. I never got the impression that they would die. Unless they were killed by goblins or orcs or something, they had no reason to die. Unless, of course, they were so sad that Arwen died that they died of grief. Hmmmm....

6. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was under the impression that they were just like arwen, if they chose to stay they became mortal. i know it says they stayed in rivendale for a long time and the celeborn was with them, but i dont think it ever says the final fate of celeborn and thranduil.

7. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ok, I think this is a common misconception from the movie.

Arwen remained in middle earth and died in Rivendell sometime after the death of Aragorn. She did not, however, become mortal because she chose to remain in middle earth.

Elves are immortal because they are elves, not because of where they live. Arwen died from her grief over the loss of her husband. I don't recall reading what happened to the sons of Elrond, but I suspect if they were not slain that they are still alive somewhere.

8. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    This reminds me. I have one of those calendar things that you tear off a sheet everyday that is called "A Guide to Middle-earth". The other day, the subject of the day was Elrond. It mentioned stuff about him and then his children and then said of them "the choice of whether or not to remain immortal was given to them also. They all chose mortality". I thought that was odd, because I assumed the sons didn't choose mortality. Now I'm really confused.

9. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    hmm, Apparently I've missed something in my reading then.

10. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am pretty sure that it says that the choice of elrond and elros also was given to arwen, elohir, eladan at the end of the third age. i will look it up and check though.

11. ElvishTwin

ElvishTwin Left-handed Scribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know Elladan and Elrohir had to choose whether they would become mortal or stay immortal at the end of the Third Age, but as far as I've read, I haven't heard anything about their choice. My theory is, and this is all theoretical, mind you, is that Elladan and Elrohir stayed in Middle-earth until Aragorn died, with Celeborn and Thranduil in Rivendell. I also believe that they left Middle-earth about the same time that Legolas and Gimli did, choosing to follow their father to Valinor.

12. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    That was always my impression. I knew that when their father and lots of other elves were leaving, they had to decide if they wanted to go or not. I never understood that they were deciding whether to be mortal or immortal.....

13. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah I was always under the impression that they remained in Rivendell and then later went across.

14. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well I didn't want this to get spread around....but.....I am on of the sons of Elrond, I and Elladan~Elvenblademaster.....

15. ElvishTwin

ElvishTwin Left-handed Scribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL! And I'm related to you, I suppose...
    ~ElvishTwin, the younger and more incoherent one ;)

16. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well they probaly went acroos the sea... but they both did the same wtvr they did because they both loved eachother and had such a great bond. but noone knows what really did happen

17. LadyLaurelin

LadyLaurelin Crazy 88 Member (#19)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I AM THE LINDBERG BABY!
    erm.....meep.....
    sry. its from one-acts.
    anyway, i think that there has to be a certain point when elves can't go to valinor anymore. why would they all leave at the end of the third age if they could stay longer and then still leave later? and why didn' arwen just go to valinor after aragorn died then? I doubt the brothers went with elrold back to valinor, and i'm still not sure if they would be able to go to valinor after deciding to stay in middle-earth...it's tricky.
    i found this on encyclopedia of arda:

"Although, unlike Men, the Elves must remain in the world until its ending, they are not bound to Middle-earth. They may if they wish take the straight road, and sail into the Uttermost West, a road that is barred to mortals."

so...yeah. here's the site if anyone awnts to do more research into the topic:
    http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm

18. Aranel

Aranel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's always bugged me why Arwen didn't go with Legolas to Valinor. She tells Aragorn that there are no ships left to take her there, but when Aragorn dies, Legolas built one and sailed over. Why didn't Arwen just go with Legolas? But anyway, i always had the impression that the sons of Elrond stayed behind but remained elves. But why in Return of the King (when they are going on the Paths of the Dead) does it say something about all feared the dead except Legolas who was an elf. But the sons of Elrond (can't spell their names right offhand) were also elves. So did the dead bother them?

19. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Because Arwen wouldn't get any pleasure in it. She had become mortal, and thus would share the fate of Aragorn (whether or not she would have died of old age sooner or later is a debatable point, I think she would have). Anyway, she wanted to be with Aragorn.

Elrohir and Elladan were also Half-elves, and that passage does indicate that they could have chosen the same as Arwen (also there's the fact that they spent a lot of time with humans, and Elladan's name means "Elf-man"...)

20. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In ROTK, the chapter Many Partings Arwen says...

She did not go because she chose to become mortal as Luthien did and she gave her ticket to Valinor by any boat, so to speak, to Frodo.