Song of Ice and Fire series, George R. R. Martin

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by timbercreek, Jan 23, 2005.

1. timbercreek

timbercreek New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are your thoughts on George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (book 1 is A Game of Thrones)? The main attraction for me is that the bad guys have some good traits and the good guys have some not so admirable traits. Pretty much like real life. It also had plenty of details without having extraneous "fluff" so many other books seem to get trapped in (ex, later books in the Wheel of Time series).

I'm generally not a big fan of re-reading books, I previously gave read books to friends or charity (I'm now posting them to WastePile.com for swapping) however this was the first series I felt compelled to re-read. Can't say I enjoyed it as well as I did on the first read because I knew what was coming, but it was still enjoyable, like greeting an old friend.

2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    We have a whole section for this series. :)

3. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I keep nearly all my previously read books. I'd like to have them for my kids to read someday, and many I've read more than once.

4. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Same here.

I find that I constantly re-read books.
    I will probably re-read a SOIAF in the next year or so.

5. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I've not re read that many, but I keep the ones that I truly enjoyed. WoT, SoFaI, LoTR, etc. One day I'll read them again.

6. darkonesluck

darkonesluck New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I left the current book I was reading someplace and wanted something to read before I went to bed so I picked "Game of Thrones" and just started reading it. Well I had forgotten how absolutely incredible it was, and finished it within the week, and "Clash of Kings" shortly there after.

I only wish that "Feast for Crows" would come out shortly after I finished "Storm of Swords" again. But I could probably reread them all a second time before that happens.