Some Other Time; a triology

Discussion in 'Spam....' started by I. R. Shogun, Jun 18, 2008.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Thank the fact that I've read Watchmen for it actually having some length

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    He'll come round once he's immune to everything Superman has lol

3. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, but until then he's still never really won against Supes.

4. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well, he did that one time, when Supes died but then fans went crazy and did some lame coma thing.

Yes yes we can all say that Doomsday died too, except that Doomsday can't die. Apart from that time he was taken to the edge of time and was only saved because that dude brought him back.

5. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Doomsday didn't win that one, they both died, when both opponents are defeated it's called a tie. And it wasn't fan reaction that led to the rebirth, they'd had that entire story planned out for months.

And yes Doomsday can die, he just has trouble staying that way. Hell Supes has beaten him single handedly after he got spliced with blue boy's dna by Luthor after the Imperiex war, and after that he really hasn't gotten stronger after his deaths. Doomsday's still one of the most dangerous beings in the DCU, but you're overshooting him a tad.

Then only battle between the two that was really one sided in Doomsday's favor wasn't even against the real Doomsday, so it's safe to say the blue boy still has a significant edge in that rivalry

6. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    How can Doomsday die?

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    He needs to die in order to come back immune to something. Otherwise he has to rely on his healing speed and durability to get past it, which is usually enough, but as we've seen isn't always. I don't think it's still like this, but for a while he was able to think like a normal person and he was so afraid to die again that Superman beat him one on one

8. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    and all this talk of this has made me decide what my next set will be

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully Doomsday :S

10. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Little bit of both, me having a purely Supes based set is still a ways off, need to get some Red Son pics for that

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    They didn’t accept him at first. He was a cool trick, a parlor magician, a media stunt, a thousand other things, no one believed in a man that could fly without a plane or lift a car like it was nothing, and they certainly didn’t believe he was a force for good, absolute power corrupts absolutely after all. But as time went on, as a thousand disasters were prevented every day it seemed, gradually, little by little, the world came to not only accept their guardian, they grew to love him, to need him, like a child needs their mother and father, we needed the guardian, and he never let us down.

Sorry, I’m getting ahead of myself, the names Clark Kirby, I’m a writer for the World. I’ve been covering stories about the Guardian and all the others since they started appearing. Be it the first appearance of the Guardian, the Maladar invasion of New York, the death of the Warlord, I’ve covered more stories on super humans than anyone. I know a lot of them, they’re good people and better friends, but no matter what’s happened, the Guardian has always been the one guy who I could never approach, never form words around. He was like the Christ himself, he was our hero, and he embodies everything good about the human spirit. And despite him not being a human, we love him as the best among us.

Unfortunately for us the hearts of men are fickle, and sometimes we do things that we don’t need. That’s what happened to the Guardian. People just seemed to stop caring about him, his eternal crusade, all the good that he did. He just wasn’t someone we could relate to. How could this guy, probably from another planet, possibly be someone we could strive to be? No human can out run a jet, or lift a train, or fly or any of the things he could do. We grew to see him as something we were entitled to, a right, like he owed us something. It became hard for him to be a hero to people that didn’t believe in him.

Then, one day, he didn’t save the day. It’s a day that lives on with all those other infamous days, Pearl Harbor, 9/11, Columbine, but no one ever talks about the day the Guardian didn’t come. No one talks about the day that, after learning to rely on a crutch we were told to stand on our own, or else brace for one hell of a fall. Oh sure, we caught ourselves, we made a new crutch built on the only thing everyone could agree on, our disappointment in the Guardian. Those heroes of the old days gradually went away, ashamed of themselves and us for how stupid we’d been, but we wouldn’t be without guardians for long.

The first new one that came up, a man with a bad hump in his back, but that was capable of tossing cars like dodgeballs and who was fast enough to disarm a criminal before they could pull a trigger, he was called Quasimodo, like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, only with a happier story. I still remember the first time I met him, stank to high heaven, but he was the sweetest guy on earth, he was the first person in a long time I’d met who was able to say in all seriousness what years before had been a common feeling, “I want to be just like my hero, the Guardian. I want to be just like him, I want to help people.”

Not all of the new generation of heroes looked at the Guardian like that, at least not in public. We’ve all heard the interviews Spring Heeled Jack has had where he took every chance possible to degrade and insult the Guardian. And there are plenty that agree with him. However no matter who they were or what their stance on the Guardian was, and no matter how much good they did, they all knew that they were trying to live up to his legacy, they were trying to be as good of heroes as the Guardian.

Unfortunately, much like the hearts of men I mentioned earlier, the world changed, and it changed for the worst. Villains became more twisted and sadistic every day, hell, so did heroes. The world became a dark and terrible place, worse than it had ever been before. It was impossible to believe that the future would be any better, when every day seemed to get worse and worse. It seemed to get to the point where it hurt to get out of bed in the morning, and the sky seemed to always be overcast. Life wasn’t fun anymore, and not even the attempt at a revival of the old twenty’s motion of “you could die tomorrow, so live it up today” could change that.

Then, one day, everything changed, and for the first time in a very long time, it was for the better. I remember it like it just happened a minute ago. I was sitting with my wife watching the news when a special bulletin came up. Insect, one of the new generation, one of the only ones who’d never seemed to be in it for the wrong reasons, one of the only ones who was proud to call the Guardian his hero even with things the way they were, was going to throw it all away. He jumped off of the Lee Building, I think he chose it because that’s where the Guardian had first appeared, hope would die where it had been born. He could easily have saved himself, but he didn’t, he was ready to let go of everything, it had come to that.

Then all of the sudden out of the sky came that familiar, but almost mythic green outfit. It was a blur of motion, even though they stopped in the air, and the Guardian set Insect down as gently and slowly as possible. I think I felt the pulse of the entire world skip a beat in excitement as he appeared for the first time in two decades, set Insect down, and said those words that are now legendary, “I’m sorry, I made a mistake, but I’m going to try to make it right. I hope you can forgive me, and I hope you’ll lend me your support.”

To my surprise no one criticized him, there was no “where have you been, what were you thinking?” backlash. The world jumped to welcome back their hero as he began to rebuild the world in our eyes. People didn’t know how he’d handle the new age’s villains and problems, but he did it the same way he always had. He flew in with that regal presence, saved the innocent, stopped the badguys from hurting anyone, beat them up just enough to knock them out, and took them to jail.

The villains didn’t become any less vicious, neither did the world it seemed, but now, now our hero was back to help. He didn’t seek to rule the world, just to help people like he always had, and was doing again. The world believed in tomorrow again, and it seemed to all of us that with the Guardian around, and all of the new generation of heroes, men and women of all powers, backgrounds, methods and philosophies, all of them, all of us, all the world, now, would be able to face whatever tomorrow threw at us together. There would always be those who tried to take that hope away, but we knew it would never be lost again.

Even now, two years after the Guardian fell in battle against Destrak, the world hasn’t lost faith, for that would be spitting on the legacy of the man who gave his life for a world that we don’t believe was his own, for all of us, so we could keep living. And now, with tomorrow being Guardian Day, it’s a time for all of us to look within, and try to think of how we can better ourselves, and how we can honor not only him, but all heroes, super-powered and those fighting in foreign lands. That hope, that love of all our heroes, great, small, and in between, is the legacy, of the Guardian.

12. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    Very well written, good job on that Shogun...a very interesting piece.

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I figured should try something a little different from my usual style

14. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Man, I really need to start writing for reals again though.