Some Other Time; a triology

Discussion in 'Spam....' started by I. R. Shogun, Jun 18, 2008.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Why am I here? It's a question that's haunted mankind since he was first able to understand the meaning of that question, and it's something every man seems to ask himself at some point or another. In a world with so many people, so many cultures, sometimes it's easy to think that one life really doesn't make a bit of difference, but to do so is naive. Every life, every person, makes a difference in some way, to someone. But with life being as big as it is, it's so easy to forget that, so easy to lose sight of the reason why you're there. I used to be one of those people.

I used to think that I was sent here, to this place, this place filled with so many strange people, to be a guardian. To protect everything from the monsters and the demons and the things that go bump in the night. I suppose that hero is what people like to call that, but it's hard to accept that title. Hero is thrown around so much anymore that people forget what it really means to be one. A hero, someone who makes a difference, someone who changes the world for good, someone who can inspire others, but ultimately, the most popular definition, someone who saves.

It was easy once, to play that sort of hero. To rescue everyone from everything that would go wrong in their lives. It was easy to take away their fear and to let them know that I'd always be there, to make them feel safe. But people get older, and they get tired of leaning on a hero. They look for ways to make themselves better without having to wait for someone in a cape or mask to take their troubles away. The older they get the less they want, the less they need heroes. Sure some people continue to want to be saved, but the cries for help become less common, or else they become so frequent, come to reference every little thing, that suddenly being a hero is either a meaningless title, or a burden that weakens those you protect.

When you get to that point in any career, where it becomes a balancing act between being completely unnecessary or altogether too necessary it becomes maddening. Suddenly being a hero isn't about saving people, it's about being the center of people's lives without becoming too much of a center of their lives. In your mind you're not just your own worst enemy, you're the worst enemy of everyone you've ever tried to protect, you're not the hero anymore, you're the evil, the very thing you set out to protect them from.

It was one of those times, when I felt like I'd lost my right to be called a hero, that he came to me...

"You there, why so glum?" he was an older man, easily sixty five, and time had not been kind to him. His beard had many empty patches where hair could not grow from burns and wounds. His left eye was permanently shut and his nose looked to have been broken more times than anyone could count. No hair covered the top of his head, but an odd tattoo styled like a hand wrapped the whole way round. "It's unlike a hero to look so beaten down."

"It's just... I've been thinking... am I doing the right thing? Really? Am I worthy to be called a hero?" I must've sounded like a fool to him. But then, thinking back on it, most must've seemed like that to him.

"What kind of question is that? Every day you go out and help people! You have the ability to crush the whole world alone, but instead you use your powers to make people's lives better!" Kids stuff, that's all it sounded like to me, how could this crisis of conscience be so easily explained?

"But do I really make any difference? Does the world really need someone like me? Some demi-god running around throwing off the natural order of things? I'm barely human, do I have the right to decide what's best for them?" That was always the question of intervention, did I step on God's toes when I stepped in? And when I didn't, did I become as evil as those I moved to stop?

"You don't need to be a human to know right and wrong, although sometimes it seems like you do need to be a human to blur that line. I've seen you, watched you since the first time you ever appeared. Hell it seems I was old even then, you could do things at the start of your career that I couldn't have done in my prime. Was I jealous? Sure I was, what made you so special that you could do these things and I couldn't? But those thoughts faded... so quickly when I looked into your eyes. You struggled so hard sometimes, but you've never given up, no matter what happened, you always did what you believed was the right thing. When people talk about you they talk about the strength, the speed, everything that no normal person could ever do, but no one ever mentions what actually makes you a hero. They've never mentioned what makes you human. That you never let anger get the best of you, you always think things through, you try to do what's wrong, and when you fail, you stand up and you admit it. You say you're barely human, well you're right, I've never met a person with character as strong as yours." He was right, I know that I knew that, but I wanted to be selfish, I wanted to have the other part of human nature, the part that compelled my foes.

"What's the point of having such a strong character when no one wants you around? Sometimes it seems like the people I try to help hate me more than my enemies!"

"People are fickle. Their opinions on everything change a million times in the space of a single breath. Being a hero isn't about being loved, it's about doing good, it's about making a difference. You don't see it because your vision is clouded, but you're the very meaning of a hero. You're brave, you do what's right, and you never barter with people's lives. You always do your best, to do what's best."

"I don't know, sometimes it seems like the world would just be better off without me, at least then people could guide their own destiny."

"Perhaps, but could you live with the circumstances if you're wrong?"

"I don't know... I... I have to go, I need to think... thanks for the talk sir, maybe I'll see you around."

"Maybe hero... maybe..." I didn't see him again. Even as I walked away I didn't look back to see him. But I thought he must have looked sad as I walked away. He must have been disappointed in what I did, it must have broken his heart when I left, and let the next wave of 'heroes' take my place...

2. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I CALL FIRST POST!!! hhahahaha

I won't read that many words

3. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    That was a total ass-hole move Ray.

Very cool I.R.

It sounded like some hardcore comic book hero thing. (not sure how to word that =/)

But its very good, and it'll be cool to see where you're headed with this, cause i really can't tell

GOOD :D

4. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Ray? Behaving like a n00bert? Never...

And thanks Kak, this is something I've been meaning to write for a while, and yes it is inspired by comics, more specifically the type of moral struggle that Supes tends to find himself in.

5. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    the first two paragraphs would be a perfect dialouge for a movie preview :D

6. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I found myself kind of stunned how much like the opening to most super hero movies they ended up being

7. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with Kakashi, it is very comic book hero material. And it is very interesting how it is written, basically going through the hero's thoughts and seeing life through his perspective. Good job on that, *wonders what will happen in the "next issue"*

8. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Thats the only thing that's missing.

a random comment from Stan Lee thats at the end of most of the Marvel comics.

9. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ...sooooooo...

10. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    self appreciative bump

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I remember seeing him leave. The first of our kind, and he was by far the most powerful. They called him Guardian. When he appeared no one knew what to expect, they thought he'd vanish in a day, but he didn't. He was a real hero, he saved lives, righted wrongs, hell, it seemed like the entire world's existence hinged upon his presence to save us from whatever might attack us from earth or beyond. He was like a god to us, but somewhere along the line, he lost his smile. The guardian seemed to have become depressed, like he'd lost himself. Then, one day, he disappeared.

At first people were terrified, how could he become so important, then just vanish again? That lasted for a long time, but ultimately fear led to something much stronger, hate. He clearly didn’t care about the world, so why should the world give a damn about him? Superheroes stopped being the object of affection of the public, people stopped wanting to be able to fly, the hope for a brighter tomorrow that the guardian seemed to symbolize was replaced by a layer of cynicism that allowed people to live their lives without feeling anything, safe from hoping, safe from caring.

Some people still wanted to have their dreams for the future, but those of us who did were treated like lunatics, like freaks. But that didn’t matter. There were still people like me, however rare, who wanted a better tomorrow, and we were willing to fight for it. We weren’t as strong as the Guardian, we weren’t as fast, none of us had his power, but we weren’t powerless, and we were bound and determined to follow the example that that man in a cape and goofy outfit had set.

Unfortunately for us, not only weren’t we as powerful as he was, but when we messed up, it always seemed to be as terrible as possible. Relatives killed because of our inaction, millions perishing because we weren’t good enough, a spiteful media, a public that was either apathetic or split on the real good of what we did, it ultimately seemed like we did more harm than good. But in despite all of that we knew that we needed to fight the good fight. We needed to try to save the day, because ultimately there’s no greater evil than the inaction of good men, and if the mightiest of us all wouldn’t do anything, we would.

So the years went by, the fights got harder, the villains got more twisted, we did our best to stay effective, but it only became more and more difficult. No matter how hard my generation tried we couldn’t get it right. It became easier and easier to go with the philosophy of there being such a thing as necessary, or acceptable, loss of life. It became easier to allow things to get destroyed, families to be crushed, all of it was fine, as long as we beat the bad guys.

Worse yet, the hero game began to mess with the minds of those who fought on my side, or at least started out that way. Some became overwhelmed with a messiah complex, insisting that they were destined to save humanity. Others became embittered by failure, and ended up on the other end of the spectrum. Still others beyond that stopped caring, stopped trying, and gave up. But the worst were those who didn’t fight for the greater good at all. Fame, love, respect, whatever they decided to don the duds for, the fate of the common man meant nothing to them, as long as the press was good.

It’s been hard to stay on the right side in all of this, the way things have gone. It’s been hard to continue to believe that there was such a thing as a right and wrong. Eventually I had to block out the words of the other ‘heroes’ and just do what I believed, or used to believe, was the right thing to do. I stopped watching the news, stopped sticking around the other fighters of the good fight, I became hollow, detached, and ultimately there was only one place that it could all lead.

I’ve fought the good fight for a long time. With allies, alone, against all odds, I’ve always tried to do the right thing. I’ve been through every high and low imaginable, but ultimately this is where it all ends. There’s no brighter tomorrow, no brave new world, no hope. For all my power I’m still just a man, a pathetic and puny man, trying to save the world alone, trying to save a world that doesn’t want to be saved.

This building was the first place that the Guardian appeared. This building was the birthplace of hope, it was the where the thoughts of a brighter world first entered my head. It seems appropriate that this is where it’ll all end. There are a thousand ways I could save myself before the ground became a threat, I don’t take advantage. The earth gets closer and closer, but I’m not afraid. There’s no future, and so there’s nothing to make me keep on living. I’m warm and eerily calm as the world seems to slip away, and then, suddenly, it stops.

My eyes open and I see the world around me has stopped, and I’m being held in the air by a force of nature. He doesn’t say anything as he slowly brings us down and sets me down on my feet. But when I’m standing I feel the glory of hope return to me as he looks me over, nods and speaks to me, to the world for the first time in years.

“I’m sorry, I made a mistake, but I’m going to try to make it right. I hope you can forgive me, and I hope you’ll lend me your support,” said the Guardian with a smile before he took to the sky again, the world seeming to become brighter as he did.

12. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of The Dark Knight Returns, in the way that everyone loses hope.

good to see that the Guardian returned.

Can't wait for the final installment.

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

This was the ultimate inspiration for it.

14. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Never actually read it, but i'll check it out, if at all possible.

15. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Based off the broken character Superman, noooo!

16. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Blah blah blah I like Superman so there

17. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    I like Superman, but after a while, they end up coming up with some pretty stupid stuff for him to fight.

It was a mistake made long ago, making him to powerful.

18. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    The only thing worth fighting him is Doomsday, because Doomsday will own his ass lol

19. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Doomsday's win/loss record against Supes says otherwise.

20. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    Awesome installment...