some of WM's art stuff..

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by wanderingmagus, Aug 10, 2010.

1. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    gonna post stuff here for constructive criticism and advice, since nobody's looking at them over at devart..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

view and review, plz!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nice work, Magus.

Maps are nice, i do think simbols like the one that points north and south (oh my! i dont know its name in english...) should be done whit a ruler trying to get them to be as straigth as posible, to give a more " professional " look. Anyway, maps and simbols are clear enougth, so its just my opinion.

I do want to congratulate you for the bar scene. Drawings whit backgrounds and many characters are kind of tricky, and you keep a good detail. There are some anatomy and perspective issues on that one, but it is a nice sketch. Those kind of perspective/anatomy problemes are common and will go away whit practice and observation, and you are brave enougth to pull out a full scene nicely done.

As for the characters, i like your manga inspired style, and they do give me the feeling of the characters you portrayed on the description for the game. Still i would advice you to study a bit of anatomy and practive drawing from life, not to try to copy everything on a "photorealistic" kind of way but to try to capture essense of movement because i feel them a bit rigid.
    Dont get me wrong, you got the idea on anatomy, i just think practice and observation of real life would help you to get it a lot better.
    =D

3. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    ^thanks! i'll work on that.

more stuff:

scorpion_and_crane_by_wanderingmagus.jpg

4. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yay I see my characters :p

So I came to check out your work! I love the map you should tell us what all of the places are like and what kind of people live there.
    I like your swirly writing :D Gives the map a nice touch, I think. I always use my best handwriting for my maps. I've got quite a few of them posted on deviantart, I'll try and discover what my name is on there and tell you so we can talk there too, and you can see my maps [I can't draw anything else xD]

As for the bar scene I think it's awesome, the candle and the man leaning over the bar, with people huddled over their drinks. If it's okay to ask, what was that scene for/from ?
    I agree with Rosa, the people do look a bit rigid but I still think it's impressive sketching. The advice to draw real life was good, I think. So try that :D
    All in all great work!

5. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    thanks for the tips and the comments!

the bar scene is for the world i created over at the Fae Wars thread in the Fields section of the Fellowship Guild... its dead...T^T...

the maps are a fantasy counterpart to our world! can you tell some of the themes for the nations? ^_^

something i wrote some time ago..:

There's also a bunch of other nations! For example:

Kukuruguara, a land of vast cities of gold and jungles and deserts filled with dangerous Chupacabras and Largamanos. Ruled by a kingdom of blood-shamans who make war using the power of human souls, the land of the southern part of the continent of Wakalata is rife with both mysteries and adventure.

Quraman, a nation of paladins who worship the All-Maker and his prophet. The land is both a paradise and a desert, an oasis and a land of shifting sands. Sorcerers scheme, jinn infest bottles and lamps, camel traders from all over Encante travel, and bandits await the unaware.

Shakuman, an empire of powerful and mysterious magic-wielders who can command snakes to do their bidding and create talismans to guard from the darkness which dwells within the jungles that surround it. They are famous spice-traders and growers of exotic fruits; it is not an uncommon sight to see a market stand selling both saffron and dragonheart roots for the same price. Be careful not to be hypnotized by the sound of the flute!

Pashla-shan, a peaceful land of religious warriors who worship the Way of Balance, like the Celestial Empire to the East. They are protected by a ring of high mountains, but are masters of the internal energy, the Chakra. It was they who first taught the Celestials how to meditate and harness the power of the mind. Hear the sound of the gong... let all your thoughts flow away from you... achieve Ultimate Perfection... become one with the lifestream...

Borovikheim, a land of frost and snow. Its people are great believers in the creatures of ice who live in the mountains. They call upon the Jotun, huge trolls from another world, to protect them from war. Do not wander too far into the icy wilderness! Learn to ride bears, and try travelling north to meet a famous jolly old faerie lord in a red parka!

6. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    There is such imagination and creativity in these places! They all sound wonderful and interesting, and I wish I could travel them :p
    Are you writing a story to accompany these places?

7. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
  8. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Some stories:

Colonization failure
    by ~wanderingmagus

The Civilization of the Moon

In the ancient past, colonies from Earth had landed on a habitable moon of a distant star. They were guided by sheer chance to that destination after many generations. In fact, they had forgotten the vast majority of their history, having believed fore eons that their ship was all there was. Having landed on the moon, they instantly delved into the books of history they had saved, creating a strange conglomeration of cultures. A new culture formed quickly, this time of multiple deities, to explain the wonders unimagined by any of them before.

Their first love and life was Kraa, god of light. The combination of the beauty of the concept of Day, and the grandeur of lightning in fearful night, conglomerated to a god both generous in mercy and powerful in strength. His temples resound with the booms of thunder drums and shine with light wherever they are built, as glass is considered an element of light. To him belongs electricity.

Their second deity was Fram, goddess of fire and earth. The wonder of flame, so beautiful yet deadly, passionate and consuming, inspired both love and fear of this deity. Her altars are bonfires of every kind and material; her halls are paved with earthen tiles. Pottery and metals would soon be attributed to her, as well as war, forging, and industry.

Their third deity was Ados, goddess of water. The sheer magnitude of the first body of water they encountered, the ocean, was enough to convince the people of the power of Ados. Her dominion extends beyond water, however. The first glimpse of snow and ice led her followers to attribute both ice and crystals to her, due to the clearness and blue tinge of the beautiful and massive crystals jutting out o the mountains on the moon. The mystery of these crystals led to their use in magic and alchemy, which in turn led to the discovery of science and knowledge. Thus, Ados holds sway over science, literature, writing, religion, and gems. Her temples are carved out of the crystals of the mountains, and her main temple is located over a great waterfall of ice and water. It holds the moon's largest library, and doubles as both the largest academy and as the primary religious center. Her halls are filled with the sound of rushing water, as every path is guided on both sides by a stream. Spotless crystal makes up the majority of the building, with rare cases such as the most sacred temples being veiled through the hanging of draperies.

The most recent deity was conceived of shortly after the discovery of the ocean: Tush, god of wind and weather. His breath guides sailors safely to their destination, enabling trade and commerce. Thus, he is the patron god of traders, merchants, bankers and sailors. His temples are buffeted by fierce winds all year, making them some of the safest places on the moon. This led to their use as safes, and all the gold and precious stones were placed within them. The halls of Tush are cold yet filled with pure, fresh air from the openings along the walls. His temples resound with the call of horns and wind instruments, while their inhabitants clothe themselves with thick furs, since nothing unclean to the air may enter, such as smoke. His temples also double as banks for entire cities.

The cities holding the main temples are named after their patron deity; these cities generally are specialized in concordance with the traits of their deity. For example, Fram city is a major industrial center, Tush city is the global stock exchange, Ados city is the equivalent of a combination of the Vatican and the Jedi temple, and Kraa city generates over half the entire moon's energy.

9. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    And systems of governance..

Windland
    by ~wanderingmagus

The system of governance of the republic of Windland

The people of Windland, from the youngest child to the oldest elder, travel nearly exclusively by collapsible hang gliders which are surgically attached to their backs from birth. They learn to use them almost as soon as they can see and hear clearly; general mastery is achieved at or before the age of 5 years, and complete mastery can be attained by twelve. Citizens are only carried if they are too young, wounded, or otherwise incapable. An incapable flier is seen as disabled or queer; those who refuse to fly on their own are left to fall out of their nests to their death by most members of the community.

The surgical procedure is quite safe and generally painless; the glider itself is crafted of living materials, and thus grows at the same rate as the child. It feeds off the nutrients in the bloodstream of the human carrier, and thus Windland citizens are notorious for the large amount of food they consume. Over time, the people of Windland have developed a symbiosis with the glider, to the point of near-consolidation, with Windland infants born with miniature gliders already jutting out of their spines, requiring only small surgical alterations for complete freedom of movement.

The eyesight of these people is remarkable and famed, with typical citizens having the ability to clearly read the words on a printed book up to a mile away. Their lung capacities are also highly developed, with efficient air circulation mimicking that of high-flying birds. Some scientists who study the anatomy of Windland citizens predict that they will probably diverge to become a separate species altogether within a few centuries more of development. They observe that the organic "glider" symbiote seems to be very similar in structure to that of an eagle's wings, and say it is quite likely that a few centuries of evolution should be enough to remove the need for any surgical procedure at all.

It is a hierarchy, semi-democracy with different "aegrets" electing their own "Aegle" to preside in the Great Council.

Windlord- head of Windland, normally hereditary unless appointed by a childless Windlord

Great Aegle- commander of Falkuns and military advisor of the Windlord; position is gained by merit or official appointment by Windlord, previous Great Aegle, or the Council, but the Council must approve of promotion or appointment.

Great Council
    Aegles are elected by their aegrets (tribes) as representatives. They serve for ten years, and are usually nobles, artisans or craftsmen.
    It is separated into upper and lower chambers and serves as the legislature. The entire Council must be present to approve of appointments and promotions, and also must be informed of any treaty or declaration of war. At least two-thirds of the council must approve of treaties. It is ruled by a Code of Windland carved in a stone sphere and set at the heart of the mountain under the Council Chamber, which also houses the Chamber of the Annals, artifacts, and other objects.
    The Code can be amended, but the entire Council must approve, and thus the Code has not been amended for a long time.

The Falkun are warriors and security personnel, reporting directly to the Great Aegle and the Council. They fight with talon gauntlets and crossbows from high altitudes.

Raptors are scientists, prophets, and sorcerers who guide the education and religious affairs of Windland. They rank at the same level as Falkun.

Swifts are messengers and watchmen. They dart about in fast, efficient gliders.

10. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Thesis on magic
    by ~wanderingmagus

My thesis on magic, realities, and relations between them in the multiverse

The multiverse is infinite, containing infinite individual universes, each of which contains a possible universe. Thus, there are universes where humans never existed, where robots took over, and even where the year 2000 bug actually caused the end of the world as we know it. In short, every pice of fiction you ever read is true- in another universe.

With sufficient energy, universes adjacent to each other can be made to touch or combine, allowing entities in one universe to cross to the other, and so on. This allows the concept of faerieland, etc, to exist.

Backwards time travel is impossible; however, it is possible to travel to a universe which, for all intents and purposes, exactly matches our world at that pointing time. Any travel to the future lands you in any one of the possible futures.

There are entities, living and nonliving, sentient and non-sentient, which stretch across multiple universes. We cannot comprehend them.

In certain universes, faith can define the world around you. That is, by believing hard enough, you can actually change how the world itself works for you- everyone else getis their own individual world, possibly with "you" still in it. It is entirely possible that the pen you are writing with or the person you are talking to fragmented long ago, and you are only seeing one possible outcome. So you are always right- if you absolutely, without a single doubt, know you are.

An outside observer, unless completely open-minded without a single pre-event bias, will observe no change despite any magical event, due to his or her "knowing" that, for example, a government conspiracy does not exist, etc.

Every instant spawns a new universe, due to the possible outcomes clause.

If you think about it, it could be that each "universe" is a frozen instant, and your consciousness is simply racing from one universe to another, creating the illusion of movement.

Admit it; you are subconsciously still open to the possibility of fantastic events.

11. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Orion
    by ~wanderingmagus

Orion, Inc.

History of the company:

1. Corporation of companies and entrepreneurs provide financial and scientific support to the star effort.
    2. Large structures placed in Pacific Ocean near Equator with living quarters and research facilities, maglev systems and power generators with factories to prototype planet-colonization technology.
    3. Space elevator is constructed from geosynchronous orbit down and the ocean up with nanocarbon ribbon connecting the top and bottom. It will reduce space delivery costs to less than a cent per kilo.
    4. Corporately owned interplanetary communication network and asteroid mines and factories.
    5. Colonies on most or all planets (where possible). Mines and factories at or near colonies where applicable; also space elevator for each colony. Hydrogen mines for gas planets, etc.
    6. Create, chart, and monitor interplanetary travel routes.
    7. Expand to next star system, and repeat.
    8. If no planets, asteroid stations.
    9. For each colony, bring religious leaders, books, seeds, etc.

Technologies specific to the company:
    • EPIC accelerators (Entangled-Particle Instant-Communication_ for nonplanetary communications
    • Planetary defense ships: can be space-only or liftoff/landing capable
    • Space elevators: used for planet to space travel
    • Wormholes are only used in deep space due to being too large and unstable for intrasolar and interplanetary travel and use.
    • Extraction facilities on asteroids and dead neutron/brown dwarf stars and planets
    • Gamma-ray nuclear disruptor- "ultimate weapon" can cause chain atomic reaction in all known materials to convert all nearby matter directly into energy without emission of any radiation of greater than ultraviolet frequency.

Technologies used in or on colonies
    • On planets, maglev rails for extremely fast intercontinental and transcontinental transportation, communication satellites and vertical takeoff and landing vehicles for communication and transportation
    • Black holes and white holes linked: throw in useless trash, get useful energy
    • Moons tunneled and inhabited as space station
    • Certain privileged intelligent animals given extended life and ability to speak via neural connections
    • Antigravitational white matter extracted in deep space for filling wormholes, preventing collapse
    • Powerful magnetic fields shield stations, docks, and spacecraft from metallic debris
    • "Terra Luna" (lunar earth) : cement-like mix of silicates from asteroids used to shield hubs
    • Titanic glass- glasslike amorphous transparent titanium alloy used in place of silicate glass for safety
    • Warp/worm drive: powerful but energy-intensive means of intergalactic travel; literally warps space-time and/or creates a wormhole shortcut
    • Rift drive: theoretical, highly dangerous form of travel by tearing apart space-time; fear of cosmic implosion/explosion
    • Starchart, also known as Stellar Graph: map of star systems and/or galaxies

Useful terminology:
    • "Loki phenomenon": as yet unexplained phenomena affecting certain systems causing stars to suddenly flare unpredictable, rendering entire systems uninhabitable and unsafe. Called "Loki" because lulls in flares can last for centuries or millennia, tricking some into returning to colonize systems
    • Alpha to Omega: scale of quality and precision
    • A to Z: version or time scale
    • IG: intergalactic, as opposed to IP (interplanetary) or IS (interstellar)
    • MTU: Massive transport unit

Ships created and patented by Orion:
    • IG-CV: colony vehicle which carries a deuterium/lithium fusion reactor, EPIC accelerators, TLSG (terra luna-shielded constant-gravity) living hub, variable-gravity work/play area, docking stations, and ion engines
    • IS-MTU: cargo transport vehicle which travels in a similar fashion to a train, with a lithium/deuterium fusion reactor and ion engine at the front dragging cargo units linked by electromagnets, which are in turn followed by a TLSCG living quarter, EPIC accelerator and docking bay.
    • SD: Stardock: trading station and "hotel/rest area" located at intersections of transportation networks; contains a deuterium/lithium fusion reactor for energy generation, EPIC accelerators, TLSCG living quarters, variable-G adjustment chamber, and extremely long docking station.

12. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    The future?
    by ~wanderingmagus

Timeline of the Celestial Empire of the West

Collapse
    Maga Lee helps everyone pull together, discovers and teaches powers of chi to others
    Is elected president of student body council
    Establishes reforms, changes government to a Confucian bureaucracy
    Absorbs surrounding areas and maintains defense with the Celestial Peacekeepers
    Hailed ruler
    Establishes Japanese as official national language
    Expands scientific and magical research
    Establishes freedom of religion as well as separation of church and magic
    Expands roads and bridges
    Establishes decimal currency
    Expands culture
    Expands Japanese-style housing and farm plots
    Establishes second city "東の保護者"
    Saves millions in San Diego and Los Angeles
    Expands farming and commerce throughout the central valley
    Oceanic trade with Hawaii and Asia
    Utilizes magic to prolong life
    Divides nation into provinces
    Trades with desert-nations of the south and plains-nations of the east
    War of the bay
    War of the East
    Helps reestablish civilization in Japan
    War for the North

13. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Den of thieves
    by ~wanderingmagus

The Den- City of Thieves
    Long ago the first Thief Lord united the millions of small, weak individual gangs and mafias through bribery, threats, assassinations and intermarriage, until he was recognized throughout the entire criminal underground as the one true Lord of Thieves. With his money and power, he built a vast empire of cave-cities connected by tunnels and sewers. Using workers and forged documents to hide the construction as an extension of existing sewer channels, he built miles of infrastructure, lit with sewer gases and partially flooded for boat use with refuse. Although the system does do double duty as both a storm drain and as an actual sewer system for the cities, to the disgust of many thieves and beggars, the true purpose was a means to connect the crime-cities. There exist forty cities throughout the entire supercontinent, with small breakoff thief-towns and thief-settlements covering the areas in between. The cities are ruled by the descendents of the original Forty Thieves, with the most powerful being declared the Thief Lord by blood and conquest. The Forty Thieves have established a sort of criminal's guild, with sub-guilds making the job easier by dividing attention to the beggars' guild, assassins' guild, drug-sellers' guild, forgers' guild and other such illicit businesses. The strict system is enforced ruthlessly such that no crime may be committed unless the criminal bears a permit from one of the Forty Thieves or their subordinates, indicating the exact type of crime he or she is permitted. The organization is in relatively tolerated standing with all the governments, mostly by mutual fear as well as by a "back-scratch" system, where in return for looking the other way officials receive monetary payment. The Pirate Lords work in conjunction with the Thief Lords, and stay out of each other's way- the pirates stick to the oceans, and the thieves stick to the land. Trade is conducted with every type of good imaginable, from Faerie's "golden flowers" to bartering goods. Rules for murder are strict within cities- if the person is endangering the Empire, he or she is eliminated immediately. The largest of the forty cities, and their capital for the last few generations, is the cave city known as The Den. It differs from other crime-cities by being far away from all other civilization, hidden in the crags of the Utorul Cliffs where bandits prey on travelers. The outer defense is the myriad of booby-trapped tunnels forming a deadly labyrinth which stretches for miles on end. Those lucky or informed enough to find the right path then enter a blind, pitch-black corridor which opens suddenly onto the moat of extremely toxic sewage, normally walled off from welcome guests or citizens with a glass entry tunnel, rigged to shatter at the push of a button in the guardhouse. On the other side of the moat is a gigantic wall of concrete held together by junk, stolen goods, and the bodies of slaves, workers and diplomats who had "fallen out" with the Thief Lord during construction. Within the ring of stone is a shantytown marking the outskirts of the city, also built of junk. Farther in are the factories for producing forged items and documents, as well as assassin's tools. Beyond lie the mansions of gold, marble and ivory housing the godfathers who had found favor in the eyes of the Thief Lord. At the heart of the city is another moat of junk, ready to be filled with toxic sewage, and another wall. Within lies the home of the Thief Lord, built of stone and paved with the finest carpets. Deep below are the living quarters, shaped like dungeons for the amusement of guests who find the irony entertaining. Above are the slaves' quarters, to remind the formerly rich or powerful of their error in trying to blackmail the Thief Lord. The city is lit with the glowing fumes of the moat, as well as with torches and numerous cave insects, larger than birds and glowing brighter than burning lime.

14. FARAWAYSAY

FARAWAYSAY Farawaysay

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Magus,

I like your art, particularly the eye's of your characters, I took up drawing a while ago, but am not as good as you. Perhaps you could have a go at drawing one of my Armoured - Shell Draco’s, from my story ELTANIN.
    Here is a description.

Antonio gave him an irritated stare, and then turned his head toward the sound of tapping toenails. A scaly horned dinosaur-like creature the size of an armadillo waddled through the empty square on its four stumpy legs. It let out a startled bark as the tip of it’s long tail brushed Antonios leg.
    'What the …' he muttered with surprise.
    'An armoured shell Draco,' shrugged the guard. The Draco flexed its pearl armoured wings revealing a soft leathery body then it buried its snout in a shrub and snuffled at the leaves causing its lustrous overlapping scales to catch the light.
    'We should be at the auditorium by now,' whispered the shorter guard. 'We must go.' he said in a raised tone.
    'Hey little armoured one,' Said Antonio. while the cheeky Draco licked the heal of one foot. He turned and crouch to the floor then he tore away a leaf from a yellow berry bush and dangled in front of the creature’s nose.
    ‘They have poor vision, but we put up with them, they bring our city prosperity.' The guard then sneered as he tapped at the creature’s snout with his sword.

15. Brandon Pilcher

Brandon Pilcher Creator of Ubuntu

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your drawings of people are pretty good! I see a strong manga influence in their eyes.

16. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    I'll try drawing that!
    Thanks! :D

17. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hehe I'm not good at RPG, so I'll give that a miss but ty very much for the invite :D

18. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    no problem, come by and visit anytime you want! ^_^

19. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    sorry it took so long to draw, but here's the Draco.

[​IMG]

20. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Me and Totoro

[​IMG]