some book help

Discussion in 'Books' started by alien freak, Nov 15, 2004.

1. alien freak

alien freak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am jsut starting my collection of Middle Earth and Lord of the Rings books.. In my shopping i have gotten quite confused.. first, is the History of Middle earth a 12 book set.. and is the History of Lord of the Rings part of that set? i ahve seen the for sale individually and in a set and i didnt want to pick up the same book twice.. example:
    The Return of the Shadow (The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part One) (The History of Middle-Earth - Volume 6)

is thisw part of the 12 book set? ? or is it something completely different

I also want to know about the other Tolkien books and if they are in relation to middle earth and Lord of the Rings..

what order do you recommend that these all be read?

I was also wanted to learn to write, speak and understand elvis.. are there any books out there that will help me with this..

I really appreciate all of your help,
    Alien Freak

2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    HoMe is a 12 book set. It starts with Book of Lost Tales I & II. The third book is Lay of Bereliand, 4th is The Shaping of middle Earth. I'm not sure of the names for the rest of the books. There are other books written by Tolkein and they relate to the LOTR series.

3. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The books you refer to are in the History of Middle Earth series AF. To give you a more detailed answer; The History of Middle Earth (HoME) is a kind of rough draft for most of Tolkiens other Middle Earth related stories. There are three books, 4,5,&6 I believe, that are directly related to LoTR. You will undoubtedly find contradictions to LoTR, the Hobbit, and the Silmarilion while reading the HoME series as it was not published until after JRRT's death.

If I were you I would read the books in this order.

The Hobbit
    The Lord of The Rings
    The Silmarillion
    Unfinished Tales
    The HoME series in order.