Solid state drive upgrade = awesome

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Mububban, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Seeing as I can't afford $2000 for a nice new pc, I spent $120 on a basic 250GB SSD for my old 2007 Vista home desktop. I used Acronis to backup and then restore the computer onto the new drive.
    It's cut the boot time from 2min 10sec down to 35 seconds. Programs launch and respond faster, and the constant chatter of the hard drive is gone so it's much quieter which is nice.
    I've kept the 1TB optical drives for storage of my home videos and photo backups etc.

I'm just about to go and buy the same drive for my 2009 Win7 laptop, seeing as I can't afford to replace that either :D

When I eventually retire the laptop, I'll probably just hook it up to my TV seeing as the inbuilt web browsers on TV suck major balls. And hopefully this upgrade will make me live with the old desktop for another 1-2 years until the wife goes back to work and then we'll buy ourselves some sweet gaming machines :D

Anyone else done the same for their machines?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I did a full upgrade from Vista duelcore regular drives up to Win 8.1 quad core and solid state drive for the OS and such and so I can't say how different it is because of the drive alone.

That said they are fast - they are quiet and certainly my computer now is turning on in seconds as well! :)

And yep got two 2TB drives of the regular kind for data/game/photo storage. Though with the way things go I suspect solid state might fully replace regular drives in the future as their prices come down.

3. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    I have a SSD 250gb samsung and run windows 7 off it on one of my rigs, and it is for lack of a better word, Awesome.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I did the laptop with SSD too, and it too has gone from 2 minute boot time to about 35 seconds. Money well spent.

Work also just got me a new 256GB MacBook Pro which is blindingly fast in Mac or Windows (I'm using Boot Camp). I only wish it was the 512GB model so I could more easily fit all my photos and music etc on it. But hot damn this thing is fast.

5. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
  6. CelestialAeon

CelestialAeon New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just upgraded my music production machine to pretty high standards and got myself two new SSDs, other one being M.2 and damn. It's AWESOME! Never have I been as happy when it comes to purchasing a drive.