Society and media influence

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Emelie, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Inspired by some discussions here I thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss society and media's influence on people.

A majority of young people (and adults of course) consider themselves ugly, and I personally believe this comes from all the shit we see in the media.
    There's the perfect models, and they're not perfect enough, even they need to be photoshopped. And the average joe can't live up to something that isn't even real.

And media is also the source of destructive behaviour, eating disorders and even depressions. Today plastic surgery is not something unusual as well.
    There's the ideal of small, hairless and childlike women, or even kids being portrayed like adults, how does this influence us?

Your thoughts on this?
    What can be done to change this?
    Do you feel that you get influenced by the media? why, or why not. What affect has it had?
    What are the consequences or do you believe there are none?

'Killing us softly' is an interesting video to watch if someone is interested in this, lots of interesting and horrible information. There's also a documentary called "Miss representation", also worthy of watching.
    Part 1
    Part 2

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Incidentally, today, I noticed something.

It's one of the first warm days of the spring and women shed their winter attire like snow in the desert. I noticed that, generally speaking, there's two sorts of women. The first being women who think they're pretty. The other being pretty women. There might be a third category of ugly women, but they weren't around to be considered. And, I feel, it's sort of besides the point.

Women nowadays seem to be obsessed with beauty, and I think it's a shame. Because it's not about beauty.

This wasn't new to me. I wondered, however, that whether it's a chicken-or-egg proposition. Maybe women obsessed with beauty aren't succeeding, simply because life is not about beauty. On the other hand, I might be entirely put off by those who are being acknowledged as beauties by a good portion of society and develop the sort of air that entirely puts me off. I haven't made up my mind about the matter as of yet...

Anyway, there's two parts to this story. The first being that society, and particularly commercial elements within society have a tendency to focus on beauty, especially female beauty. And no. No one can live up to that. One could say that this is wrong and immoral. The other part is that especially women feel affected by this pressure to shine. That pressure is mostly, if not entirely virtual. Indeed, very few people in a normal social setting wouldn't care a bit whether you indeed are that most beautiful woman. Those social settings who do are not worth anyone's time. Think about it. I'd say: dare to be ugly and defeat the system :)

On a special side note TV, especially US TV, fails at embracing that thought. Point in case: Ugly Betty. Pretty girls with huge glasses and bracers are not ugly girls.

3. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    THANK YOU! I'm glad someone else realizes that Ugly Betty is the microcosm of American television :D

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Everybody, stop blaming Popular Culture and the Media for your own weaknesses and failures. Whether you like it or not, or even feel it's fair or not, you are responsible for your life and everything in it. It's another case of the tail wagging the dog; the Media responds to shallow people who consume shallow things by supplying shallow entertainment. Society isn't undermined by Popular Culture or a slave to the Media, it creates those things in it's own distorted image. Like a House of Mirrors.

It reminds me of that old story of a man walking along and happening upon a person hitting himself in the head with a hammer... he says "Hey, what's the matter with you?", the man with the hammer stops and replies "I've got this horrible headache". Yeah, no kidding you do. If you know that Popular Culture and the Media are damaging your own self-awareness then stop, drop the hammer, and become your own person. Really, half the names that are mentioned here of actors/celebrities and whatnot, I have to google them to even know what's being talked about.

And really, even with myself I only replace shallowness with a different sort of shallowness.
    I choose to spend most Sunday mornings renovating a 110 year old house, other folks spend it in church worshipping a God that isn't there... I don't see that there's any meaningful difference between the two.

5. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    But as some people become aware of society and media's influence and 'drops the hammer', not everyone can or will do it. Cause it starts at such a young age, and it's everywhere in our society, everywhere we look. Of course most people get influence by media, otherwise so many women wouldn't wax their entire bodies. And other things like that. Some people manage to take distance from the distorted views of society, but I believe they're a minority. And even they feel pressured from time to time. But it's easier to resist, when you know the reason behind your own thoughts, why and who put them there.

6. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

When you realize that you're being manipulated by outside forces that don't have your best interests at heart, than you are no longer being manipulated; you've made a conscious decision to acquiesce your free will and let others influence your thoughts and actions.

7. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    It's not always that simple, if someone's been taught that something is a certain way for 10, 20 or 50 years, it's not something you give up in a day or two, that takes a lot of work to get rid of, cause societies influence is so deeply internalized.

8. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I'm in complete agreement with you on that.

Even when you can largely break free of such influences or feel as if you've broken free, you just never know how many hooks are still in you, pulling your thoughts this way and that.

9. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have not watched TV except movies DVD's since 2008? maybe even earlier.