So you are a famous hero...

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Foinikas, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    Ok let's imagine that you are a brave adventurer.A man of the king or a mercenary or a simple adventurer.You're not poor but you're not rich either.

You just came back after a very important campaign,after days of fighting you have come back with precious loot,the heads of enemy leaders,wanted enemies,monsters or whatever else.The campaign is a big success and the king rewards you with a lot of gold and part of the loot that you earned.

How would you use that reward and what would you do now that you would be a famous hero and rich man?

I personally would build a castle as my residence and base of operations to keep defend the kingdom of the king that I just served and help fortify other areas and support the campaigns of the king by sending provisions.Other than that I would try to buy some fields near my castle to have an income and if I grew old after many years of battle I would perhaps make an Inn or Tavern with very good beer,food where people could enjoy some ale in the night near the fireplace and listen to tales of old!:p

2. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I'd spend the rest of my life mooching free ale off others in bars in exchange for heroic stories. Then the world will be in danger and some kid will ask me to train them to defeat the evil and I can be the typical wise mentor. :D

No, seriously, I have no idea. But not a castle, a castle requires a lot of work to manage.

3. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I would use the gold to get myself an army of mercenaries and i would use the trust of the king to slay him and take the throne from him.
    Afterwards i would reform the kingdom and make a prosperous and free land.. ;)

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    First stage would be to hire a really good acountant. Next stage would be to invest to increase the amount of gold I already have. Then employ the greatest wizards of the land (and some other lands as well) and get them to research the spells for eternal life, health etc... (live for ever!)

Once on the road to immortality start building the biggest castle there ever was - and the most heavily fortefied. From there I have eternity to conquer the rest of the world, and also ignor it for mellenia if I ever get bord dealing with running the world.

5. Rhotdog

Rhotdog New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i would make a band and make money rocking and rolling all night and party everyday :balrog:

6. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    Ok we're talking about a medieval fantasy world.All your answers are given according to modern time stuff and desires if you ask me!Lol!:p

7. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Mine was fantasy!

8. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, so much is circumstantial. But, I would buy a manor in the king's city and start a small, private army. This army would be available to serve the king if necessary, mercenaries to other adventurers and also serve to accompany me on further adventures. I would also start a school/orphanage for girls who have a longing to become more than kitchen maid or street whores. Thus building an army of another kind.

If and when I find the love of my life we will settle down in my home and become dubious nobility. Too much in the king's favor to ignore to exciting and strange to openly approve of. I would love to scandalize the entire lot.

9. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +738 / 7 / -2
    Hm...

To start off i would build a small residence in the hills somewhere, and hire a small troop of sell-swords to defend it. Then i would gradually build a population, and eventually expand my city, until it was a Motte and Bailey. Then i would start to expand my troop by training my own soldiers. I would expand until i was strong enough to start taking over some villages. I would make myself a nice kingdom in mountians.

10. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    I like that post!;)

Kakashi's post sounds too aggressive and imperialist :/

Bad Kakashi...I hope you don't betray your king or emperor!

11. Rhotdog

Rhotdog New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    lol i was just messing with you. I would slay a dragon or something like that :)

12. Rhotdog

Rhotdog New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Or to be more realistic i would do some favors for the king or emperor and gain his trust. If i do i may ask him to make me his head general for his army. Using that power i would make the army really powerful and my name would be known all around the world.

13. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +738 / 7 / -2
    playing nice doesn't get any recognition! :D

14. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 2 / -0
    Ahhh... the dilemma of the Ring, isn't it?

Medievally spoken, I would set up a school or guild of artists from all 7 corners of free knowledges. For some reason, that always seems to attract respect, trade, wealth, the lot.

But in my intend to do good, I would create a monster. City-states or principalities of that naure always attract the envy of surrounding rulers (whether the city is led by me or not). The only way to ensure safety is building a superior army and get allied troops and gouverning bodies in the region. However, this inevertably would create strain and tension in the region leading to, yes... war.

Money leads to power and power leads to war, whatever happens. It's better to spend it all on a party :)

15. Solcious

Solcious Veil-Lord

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Build a house in a remote area so I couldn't be bothered by annoying fans, or assassins that may be after my head. And when I got bored of that I would travel the known or unknown world seeking for fights, because lets face it a hero can never settle down.

Oh and I'd probably buy some nice armour for the ego.

16. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -0
    Firstly I would make sure my weapons and armour were the best available. Then I would see where my help was most needed and travel there - no doubt gathering a group of unlikely allies and together we would travel the world righting wrongs and ending injustice.

Then just when everything seems to be going well for me I'll get killed fighting against hordes of enemies, but my sacrifice will ultimately allow my side to triumph and people will forever rember the name Wild Willy McSpongle, who annoyingly for me had an even braver and more heroic death in the same battle than me - the git.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  17. Rychos

Rychos What's Up, Doc?

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Become a wizard, study, meanwhile dividing the money in two. One part in trade, one part into a city I will build up from the ground on a strategic location. That way the cash will keep coming in. Meanwhile marry the love of my life and use my magic to create our own utopia. After that move into it with her and the cash that's building up will be used to ensure all my kids will be able to study.

18. Ravus

Ravus New Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I really really want to live in a castle. well defended, strategically placed on a hill... with lots of secret passages and such.

then kill the king , take the country and be lazy for a good 70 years.

yarr!