So what was Your first Pratchett?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Overread, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Yep simple question regarding the big man himself - what was your first encounter with the writings of Terry Pratchett?

Mine - The Dark Side of the Sun

granted it took a good few more years before I tried another book; but mostly because I returned it to the library without noting the author name and then found that nobody else who reads Discworld has ever read it nor Strata (despite being early discworld linked books) - so didn't get back into Terry for some time.

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    First and only: The Colour of Magic

I couldn't really get into the next one (I know they're not a series in order), and I don't have time to start again until I've finished sooo many more books.
    It was funny though!

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Many many many people say that they are not a series.

Most of those people are kinda wrong ;)

There is a series and an order to the books; although each one is, in its own right, a single complete story start to finish. However if you skip early books and jump to the end you'll find the content lacks since you'll be missing out small and big references to past events, creatures and changes in the world. Discworld itself is actually a very bold move in that its a fantasy world going through a lot of changes and early books differ a fair bit socially to the latter books as a result of actions presented in the stories.

In short most say they are independent, but forget that they can say this because they've already read most of the series in order as it came out/as they got it and thus they can jump around the series because they've already got that background of information.
    New readers I always say - start at the beginning and work you way through like any other story series

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    The Colour of Magic.

Yes there is a series, I've been trying to read it in order for each character, but when people buy you random one's in the series...well let's just say I have a few unread one's lying around!

5. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I didn't mean that they weren't a series, but as you pointed out, there's no order.

@Meteorain: macs can do right click (change it in preferences).

6. malexmave

malexmave New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Phew, probably "The colours of Magic". Although I can't be sure, I was very young at that time.