So what are some of your hobbies?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Silvermune, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I know everybody who filled out their 'about me' has a section to put a few things but other than what ya have listed if any what are some things do you like to do on your spare time? :]

I for one have it listed but I love going hiking, me n my father have climbed the highest mountains in the las vegas area :] Some with 1000+ foot straight dropoff cliffs.

Also for something that's not listed I'll volunteer at our local zoo (not much of a zoo) and help with the animals there. So lets hear what everyone does on their spare time :D

2. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Oh, you have got me ;)
    I am one of those who did not fill out their "about me". The reason is that it is quite a much stuff that I would have to write in. I am sure that i cannot mention all here and on command. You will get to know them time by time as you have already have gathered some:

You know it is: Meditation, the Paranormal, Fantasy, Poetry, Story Writing, Reading, Antiquities, Archeology, Sword fighting European and Asian Style and some improvisations on my own, Martial Arts (mostly Ninjutsu Ryus and a bit Kung Fu) also with some improvisations, making music (instruments and singing) ... I do not know - perhaps you know already more?
    You have now caught me with another one: I am a hill hiker. (but without that special shoes people used to have that are so heavy to suck in. First I usually get in trouble when walking in a group not having those "walking" or "hiking" shoes whatever. So I like better hiking on my own.
    There is some other stuff you already knew: I have a heart for nature and animals.

3. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    See this is exactly the kinda response I was hoping to get! :D
    I have not looked enough into sword fighting and am only familiar in Kendo and I'm sure there are loads of other types x_x;
    so what kinda poetry are you fond of? Only martial arts I partook in was tae kwon do and it wasn't very much though I enjoyed what little I did learn.

And lame about your picky group, We have a good mountain hiking group here that prefer if you have hiking boots cause its safer but not necessary. My father actually got some kind with a special rubber though the grip on those shoes are insane.

4. Eris

Eris Figment Of Imagination

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I like nothing more than sports! but I don't have much time for it now! but I was big fan of Rollerblade! and programming! and going out with friends is one of the bests ^_^

5. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sports are always fun :D too bad you don't have enough time for it anymore, and hah rollerblades I remember those.. killed my poor young back xP

6. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    In my spare time, except for what's in my profile (reading and gaming) I like to make things, I'm quite creative. Scrapbooking, canvases, drawings, photoshop designs, Jewellry, stuff like that. But with the free time I've got, I mostly study, sit here or get eaten by my parrots

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Drawing and painting, some 3D, used to be all I did for a hobby, and getting high or shitfaced drunk, but alas the mind and body grow weary of such abuse and it was time to settle down. The love for art is gone and waking up on the side of the road is very unfashionable these days, so I spend what little free time I have renovating a 108 year old historic home, my girlfriend affectionately calls 'The Green Bitch'. I love spending months on part of the house and watch it slowing come together.

When I was in love with drawing and painting...
    View attachment 7911

8. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Nice one Sparrow! Too bad you don't do it anymore, but renovating sounds like a blast as well, can't wait till I can get my fingers on an old house.

9. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Thanks!
    And this is where I say... watch out what you wish for... old homes can be an awful grind. Lots of hidden surprises, and almost none of them good surprises. There's nothing like crawling up in the attic to find out what's causing all the weird scratching noises at night and finding a rat, not a little rat... the kind of rat you see movies. Or for that matter someone else's house cat who found it's way under the home, had her kittens, then died. One grey cat, five little kittens and a smell that I'll never forget.
    But it is rewarding work, to return a house back to the way it looked a century ago.

10. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    That's just nasty. So note to self when buying an old house to renovate: wear contamination suit. And bring a baseball bat. Poor little cat n kittens.
    But at least in the end it ends up really good, and it is rewarding as you say. One of my dreams would be having almost like a castle ruin and get to build that up again!

11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Come to the UK - we've loads of ruined castles - though chances are renovation would be a nightmare since you'd have to comply with laws on what you can and can't do to listed buildings. That and most of them are rather a pile of rubble sooo = lots of rebuilding needed.

As for old houses I grew up in a 400 odd year old house - all oak beams and suchlike. I now can't stand modern walls with their clinical single sheet of plaster and paint - it needs beams and struts of wood darn it! Also when home I've no idea, but things --- live in the roof (this is of concern when said things skitter around at 3am and you're right under them - but also of great great concern when things turn out to be a hornets nest*)

As for hobbies, I've got a few :
    Reading - fantasy mostly, but also scifi when I get it.

Models - Games workshop, Hordes and Dystopian Wars (this last one I AM going to paint!!) Mostly Tyranids, Obororos and Britannia though I've also a smattering of older 40K Epic minis as well as a Battlefleet gothic Imperial force.

PC games - well not just PC, but mostly PC - mostly RPG and RTS titles, though a few others of different kinds here and there

Photography - lots and lots of fun but darned its the most expensive! That and the little devils never sit still - they sit there all still and staring at you, then as soon as you go to press the shutter button BAM! They either jump, run, fly, buzz, hop, skip, skitter away!

*double worse is they are a protected species so -- can't get rid of!!

12. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Overread, yeah so I've heard, I'm a fan of "Grand designs" they have shown many ruins and the troubles the poor buyers have to go through to finish it. I'll just have to fake it :D

What do you take pictures of, animals?

13. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Ohh I forgot to spam my link!! ;)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24534478@N04/

animals, bugs, flowers, the odd landscape :)
    though at present I've got to renew my flickr account pro status, so only 200 odd of the pics are showing in there - there are more hiding around once I renew the account pro status next month (ie probably tomorrow)

14. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's some amazing photos in there! Even those with insects, I gotta say. (Not a big fan of those). You're good!

15. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think in Japanese sword fighting you are fine with Kendo. There are more specific branches like e.g. Shinkendo. But I think Kendo is a good overall Japanese sword fighting art. And of course every Martial Arts that has weapons inclused has their own tactics and strategies.
    Well, Tae Kwon Do is not bad. But could be a bit more balanced. It is too much concerned with leg work, not the usage of all 9 corners of the body.

My poetry contains in first line feelings, perceptions and experiences I made, just clad in words and phrases.

Sounds great, your mountain hiking group! They will first give you the chance to prove before they force you in that damned stiff heavy boots. Well, I once used them because I had to. I was feeling like I could not move, earth gravity did not allow me lifting my feet. Like pressed in concrete I was bound to earth and I felt that I sunk deep into the mud, leaving a heavy trace and the mud let me stick where I was *lol*. Boots o.k. but something soft that grants my ankle-bone freedom to be used. I use very much my ankle-bone while walking....I always have thought everybody does, but my thinkings proved to be mistaken.

16. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    @ emelia I dun think being eaten by parrots should be considered a hobby :p But the jewlery thing is cool and all :D
    @ Sparrow I love that painting, Love the style of it and all. I stick to graphite and charcoal but love paintings more than others types of art. That is pretty awesome with the renovating though it'd be interesting to do that atleast to me.
    @Overread Like emelia said some of those pictures are amazing. I enjoy photography from time to time dont go outta my way looking for it but like seeing em. :]

Guess I'll add another hobby of mine, have it listed but I'll elaborate on it more.
    I play piano, by ear. I can read music I just can't read it n play it on the piano.. I've learned things from classical pieces to piano covers of modern songs that I enjoy. For example I know about 3/4ths of the song 'fireflies' by owl city and am working on finishing that up sounds really pretty on piano.
    Another hobby is learning music from soundtracks from Anime shows. Takes me awhile because I don't use sheetmusic but when comparing what i know to people who do use sheet music on say youtube i'm usually dead on 95% of the time :]

17. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    My main Hobbie right now: Listening to music and discovering new music that is off the mainstream.
    Works like this:
    Good musician+zero popularity=I'll take it ;)

18. Saeriel

Saeriel A Paranoid Android

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Reading, writing (though currently I've decided not to write if I can help it...), watching tv/movies, going to concerts - though there aren't many good ones around here currently. I really don't do much other than that o.0