So how's this for different.

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cyril, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Cyril

Cyril Knight of the Weave

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I decided a couple of days back that I wanted to run a Star Wars tabletop game. Trouble was, I didn't want to run a game with a classical Star Wars feel to it. I wanted something a bit more raw, a bit darker, and something completely original.

The game will be taking place in no set era. Yes, this means that they will have tens of thousands of years of Star Wars history to draw upon. While thinking about other things I could do, I had a number of "wouldn't it be cool if..." moments, including, but not limited to:

-Exploring a previously undiscovered planet only to find a race of dwarves in steam powered battle armor inhabiting it.
    -Tracking down and taking on a force using, religious extremist group using terrorist attacks to bully planetary governments into giving into their demands.
    -Having a pirate group that was actually deadly and threatening instead of just being target practice for the TIE Fighters the group was going to take on next session.

That's a few things I kind of want to see happen. So I sat down and started on a list of some things I'm either going to include or plan on changing. Here's the short list.

- A shattered imperial order of days gone by, still holding on to the outdated dogma from when they were in power as well as the tenets of their official religion, an adaptation of the basic principles of the Force.
    - Groups of Mandalore selling their services to the highest bidder, most often being contracted as private security forces for travelling dignitaries or companies that have money to spend.
    - Orders of Force users who view the basic principles of the Force and the Jedi and the Sith as religious principles. This leads to many religious factions all based around the same ideals, leading to sects with differing and even opposing principles. This has made many of the clashes between these sects and indeed, the Jedi and the Sith in general, mostly religious in nature instead of political.
    - Primitive tribes of peoples such as the Ewoks and other such races are going to be very untrusting of people who suddenly start showing up on their planet and moving heavy machinery around, probably to the point where they’re not going to wait for a small rebel strike force to reach the planet’s surface through an Imperial blockade before taking some action against the invaders. Yes, this means that there are going to be decidedly fewer cuddly teddy bear races as they will have been wiped out a good while back.
    - Criminal syndicates play a much bigger part in the everyday goings on instead of being a way for a writer to bring in a character to take Han’s place while he’s frozen in carbonite. Also, they will be on planets other than Nar Shadaa.

So, what does everyone think? Think it'll hold water and still be a Star Wars game?

2. Hammerheart

Hammerheart New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    ever played Escape Velocity NOVA?

ambrosiasw.com

3. Cyril

Cyril Knight of the Weave

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think you may have misunderstood.

I wasn't asking if it had been done before. I was merely asking what people thought of the ideas as presented in the Star Wars universe.

After all, the movies, and many of the books hint at a lot of these horrible, nasty, and atrocious things, but still present them with the class and eloquence of Greek myth. What I want to do is bring them into a little bit of a grittier light.