So how about those folding spetums?

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Zane Fireflyte, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Zane Fireflyte

Zane Fireflyte The Persistant Cat Wizard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aren't folding spetums awesome?

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -1
    Never heard of a folding spetum. Actually, I'm having a hard time recalling what sort of pole arm a spetum is. Spear with side spikes like a carolingian eared spear?

3. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    It's like a double-bladed scythe (with shorter blades) Almost as awesome as I scythe I think. Just become one of my favourite weapons

4. Zane Fireflyte

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oops! My bad! It's called a folding septum. It's a rare folding weapon. I first learned about it at the same place I saw it at: Higgins Armory Museum, which recently appeared in an episode of Ghost Hunters (one way you can tell it's the museum that has the spetum: they show the "happy" armour, which has a crotch guard and a mask that makes it look like a smiling human face). Here's an article on that particular septum:

☆ FavoriteActions▾Share via emailShare on FacebookShare on Twitter▾NewerOlderFolding Septum
    Italian (perhaps Milan), about 1550
    Steel, iron, gold, wood

This extremely rare folding septum was owned by the Rothschilds, Jewish financiers whose art was seized in the Nazi takeover of Austria in 1938. In 1945, the art was rescued by American troops and given to the Austrian government. The Rothschilds later recovered part of their collection, but only after giving this and other items to the Art History Museum in Vienna. In 1999 however, under international pressure to restore Holocaust victim's property, Austria returned the art to the family, who then sold many of the pieces.

This weapon is possibly the Armory's most important acquisition. It is the finest surving septum, with its intricate mechanism of folding blades and mountings bearing delicate gold arabesques on a background darkened for a brilliant contrast. Similar decoration appears on fine MIlanese armors of the mid-sixteenth century, suggesting a possible origin and date. The weapon also retains its original wooden shaft with impressed and gilded motifs. Folding septums were imperial-quality weapons because of their expensive construction and elaborate decoration. Their original purpose remains unclear, but it is possible that they were carried by bodyguards or as splendid hunting weapons.

Well, there you have it. It's even more awesome in person, if you ask me.

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -1
  6. Zane Fireflyte

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is a folding spear thing. The blade is he blade is as long as the handle and it has this longish cresent-moon shaped hand guard thing and the handle is a long thinish rectangle. It is not a gun.

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -1
    Trust me, the Burgess is a gun. That's pretty much all Andrew Burgess did: design guns. Some mightly good ones, too. Although his real claim to fame was that he forced Winchester to hire John M. Browning to compete with Marlin's superior Burgess-designed rifles.

I googled "folding septum" and found the same article you did, so I know what it was: the bastard child of a winged spear and a jacknife. My reference to the Burgess shotgun was tangential.

8. Zane Fireflyte

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, Greybeard, I was describing the folding septum. I didn't catch where you mentioned the Burgess shotgun. I thought that you were referring to the septum. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your post.

Hey, that's what they actually called the septum on the card at the museum!

9. Zane Fireflyte

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, that is a cool gun.