Smoking or non-smoking

Discussion in 'Polls' started by HumanInfiltrator, Jul 5, 2006.

?

Smoking or non-smoking

1. Yes

17.9%
  2. No

10.3%
  3. Quit

3.8%
  4. Never have, never will

67.9%
  1. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering how many of you share one of my secret sins. In South Africa the opinion has gotten so bad that I have to hide this fact from my employers.

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Quit, 13.5 years ago.

Figured I had better things to do at 25 than hack up a lung every morning.

Have the rare cigar while golfing, but having your father die of cancer will tend to dissuade you from restarting the habit.

3. Renzokuken

Renzokuken You have failed this city!

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I've never started, and I never intend to. I don't see the point, as I'm not into destoying my lungs.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Never have, never will. Don't see why I should pay up to $3500 a year to knowingly make myself unhealthy. I really can't understand why anyone in this day and age would start to smoke. Teenaged rebellion is one thing, but doing something you know will harm your health, if not kill you one day, just seems plain dumb to me.

I think a lot of people underestimate what the word "addiction" truly means.

5. Axiron Stormholder

Axiron Stormholder The mouse that killed Tom

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    my girlfriend smokes and I don't like her doing it. Especially, when she uses it to calm herself down when she's mad, because it's like she has become dependant on smoking to calm her down and in a way that doesn't help. Because she is dependant it will be much more of a challenge to help her quit.

6. Schmavid

Schmavid A simple wanderer.

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've seen my mum smoke and seen how much money she spends on it, I'll never touch a cigarette.

7. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Good on you, Sky, congratulations.
    As for me, never have never will

8. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Never have, never will.

<<< asthmatic lol

9. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    never have, never will....also just recently watched my grandmother die because she couldn't breathe thanks to smoking until she was 60.

I don't think I'd even consider dating a smoker...ick.

10. PenguinofDeath

PenguinofDeath The name says it all.

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Never have, never will.

My Mum smokes, so I'm constantly obsessing over her lungs.

11. Mububban

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Tell me about it. My girlfriend is a chronic asthmatic and it freaks me out watching her wheeze and gasp after walking through someone's smoke cloud or emerging from shopping centres etc where all the lovely smokers congregate right outside the freaking doors.

I dated a girl who was a smoker once. That stale smoke smell was a real turnoff, as was having to leave the area when her and her friend lit up. It's a bit hard to chill out with someone when you can't breathe because of them.
    So yeah that didn't last long!

12. Ulfygg

Ulfygg New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I belive that there is nothing in life that cannot be improved by enjoying with a cigerette. I enjoy them with my morning coffee, with my afternoon tea, i enjoy them after sex, I enjoy them while reading, I enjoy them watching TV, I enjoy them while playing guitar, I enjoy them with wine and beer. I smoke alot, even by the standards of most smokers I know. In fact i'm smoking one right now.

13. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,132 / 5 / -0
    Well you can't say I was a smoker but I had a few sigarettes in the past but generally I don't smoke. Personally I think it's a bit dumb to begin with if you already know it's unhealthy and you know that if you keep smoking you are gonna get addicted to it. Anyway I smoked a cigarette and didn't see what people enjoy about it...this sounds also stupid but I just smoked a few cigarettes at parties to look cool when I was a teenager...but I had no fun at all smoking them.

14. Roland

Roland Go Horse's Go

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I never have or want to smoke, i've seen what it's been doing to my dad, definetly not for me.

15. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    You may think that now, my father did.

Until they removed the tumor from behind his eye and left him blind,

Before they irradiated his thyroid to slow the cancer that made him bloat from a solid 200 pounds to nearly 300. And then down to 150, just before he died.

As the cancer in his brain robbed him of his faculties, a year after he retired, and then lost his dignity because he had to rely on a nurse to change him at 62.

Yeah, he used to like to smoke too. Did it since he was 15. Kinda made it all worthwhile to work for 40 years and enjoy 11 months of retirement.

16. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +271 / 2 / -0
    Never have, never will
    I hate smoking! :(

17. Ulfygg

Ulfygg New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear about your father, i've knowen people who've had cancer, it's a pretty horrible thing. Most of the people I know who've had cancer were all non smokers. Their are plenty of other things people do in their day to day lives that are carcinogenic. People like to blame tobacco for alot things because it's an easy target, "yeah cell phones might cause brain tumors but it's useful". I ultimitaly find it hippocitical when people have such a problem with smoking and then dont look at all the other carcinogens their playing with.

18. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    There are other carcinogens, sure. But cancer isn't the only thing you have to worry about smoking. My grandfather smoked since he was 11, until about the time I was born, so 20 years ago. Quit cold turkey. But needless to say the damage was already done. He had emphesema since I can remember, and was always gasping for breath. He was on countless medications, and had developed awful diabetes because of the medicines keeping him alive. Past year he'd had oxygen, and breathing treatments every day.

He got sent to the hospital over christmas 05. Doctors said he probably wouldn't make it to new years, but he was released a couple days later. They called him the miracle man...lol. Then in April of this year, he took a turn for the worst again. Over about a week, he was put into ICU. I was at school, my parents kept me updated, but on the 20th, they said I needed to come. They'd taken him off the machines, and out of ICU, and they said it'd be good for him to see me and my sister.

Long story short, I'll never forget what I saw, and I think I was totally unprepared for it. Every breath was a gasp, and he was on morphine. While I was there, he tried to get out of bed because his breath was failing. They gave him a breathing treatment while we watched, then set him back in bed. I noticed he wasn't gasping for breath anymore. In short, he died while I, and my entire extended family, was there and watching. What broke my heart the most is when my grandmother cried, and said how she couldn't believe it, told him that she loved him and she'd be close behind.

I just don't understand it. I have enormous respect for people that quit...my mom did, so I know what it's like. I really don't understand people that continue knowing all the risks to themselves and others.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/smoking.html

^ medical problems caused by smoking. Tell me again how it's ok?

19. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Same thing with me. Im asthmatic with cigarette smoke. I can barely stand being near a smoking section in a restaurant. Fire smoke as well as pipe and cigar smoke I don't mind, I even think some pipe smoke smells OK, but cigaretts just smell nasty. Luckily none of my family smokes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  20. Mububban

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    My photography business partner smokes. He's about 47 and he knows it's bad for him, but he keeps on doing it.
    Over Christmas he had a health scare, a shadow on his lung appeared on an x-ray. Could be lung cancer, could be a lung infection, could be tuberculosis.
    He quit smoking while he was on medication. Turned out to be a lung infection so he got better, and he celebrated his return to health by resuming smoking.

He's one of my best mates and he'll probably die before his time.

In my experience with ex-smokers, it takes something veyr personal to make them quit for good. Health reasons aren't usually enough. Friends or family pestering them usually isn't enough. It might take the death of a loved one, or a major health scare like my friend had to make them sit up and take notice. Kind of like weight loss or anything.

My ex-girlfriend's dad stopped smoking when she was about 5 or 6, because her and her sisters decided that they wouldn't kiss their dad goodnight any more coz he smelt too bad. So that was the impetus for him to quit - losing the goodnight kisses from his kids.

Until each smoker reaches that very individual "tipping point" nothing anyone says or does will make them change their minds. And some never have one of those moments.

Humans really are strange creatures.

And as for people doing things other than smoking that we know to be carcinogenic - I try and avoid stuff like that. If mobile phones ever get proven to cause brain cancer, I'm sure I can survive without one. I don't live under high voltage power lines or eat lead based paint etc. I think most people would actively avoid carcinogens rather than deliberately embrace them and pay for the privelege.