Slavery!

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, May 16, 2013.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The American South was in no way, shape, or form, part of Central America or the Caribbean. Culturally and philosophically they were apart from the North, almost a separate collection of States, the foundation of which was built on and only survived because of slavery. It's one thing to have slavery hundreds and even thousands of years ago... quite another to continue the practice as we were entering the modern era.

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    That slavery has been of huge importance for pretty much all of the American East coast is evident. And yes, different countries in the area abolished in different years, pretty much spanning the 19'th century. When you write them all out, the United States was, if somewhat late, not out of tone, I would think. If you would want to ask the question of which country was overdue, in the Americas, it was probably Brazil, the country that - by far - imported the most slaves. No one ever hears about that, though...

3. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

That's for certain. There are some very nasty details concerning the slave trade that rarely make the history books our young people read in school. There's this idea that these sailing ships, English, Dutch, American, etc, that dealt in slaves made their way to Africa, rushed into surrounding area grabbing any black person in reach. In fact Africa sold itself into slavery. In most cases the slaves were there and waiting, it was all business carried out by tribal leaders. Very neat and very evil.

4. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    America isn't a democracy, we never have been a democracy and we never will be. We were a confederacy and then a republic. (Ok, federal democratic republic if you want the full thing, but still a republic) Greece did have democracies and Rome was a republic for a good portion of it's history.
    Timing is irrelevant to what is or what isn't right, only people's perceptions of it. Thinking that because x people believe something to be right at any given point in time does not make it right or wrong. X people though it was right to burn people at the stake, but that didn't make it right because of public opinion, only the modern individual's perception of it as being backwards which is the point furthest from objectivity because it is solely relative to current moral understanding, which doesn't actually make us more or less moral than they were then, but inflates the ego of pretty much this entire generation as being somehow superior because we've changed. History isn't linear, point B isn't inherently better than point A, merely different.

People are offended by the confederate flag because they're idiots. Am I offended by the American flag because my mother's side lost? The English flag who gave my ancestors the choice of leaving or starving and caused my people to lose a third of their population, for the slaughters that took place in Ireland? No, those today are not responsible for it and those that were are long dead. It is plainly idiotic to hold on to such. The Civil War was 150 years ago, anyone still complaining about it needs to be smacked.

5. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Yeah, but in the same breath you complain that some folks in this country have an unfair advantage over you via government programs that favor minorities. I hear this crap so often from conservative white males I just gotta laugh out loud. You guys complain about the blacks, the latinos, the illegals, the liberals, the this and that... and it all comes down to one thing. You ain't cutting it in this country and you'll blame everyone except the person who stares back at you in the mirror.

How is it that me, a dirty white boy with nothing more than a high school diploma and a criminal record that is really quite breathtaking, can still make his way just fine. So please, take down the Confederate Flag you probably have hanging on the wall in your room... and take responsibility for yourself.

6. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    If government programs were in favor of an even playing field they would favor no one. Really, that's the only thing that's mentioned? Our crime rate would be in line with other industrialized nations if it weren't for the crime generated by our minority population. There is no reason to give money that is supposed to be given due to performance to a factor that is uncontrollable. They are perfectly capable of making it, if they would get off their asses and solve their own problems instead of looking at whitey to do it. I've worked jobs where I was the only white person there, I also was the only person who didn't have a criminal record and did drugs while whining about how much life sucks being me and how the man was keeping me down while doing absolutely nothing to solve the problem. If the blacks in this country would spend half the amount of time actually finding solutions to their problems as they do whining about them they wouldn't have problems. I've had room mates who were the exact same way, they blow their money on drugs and booze and then ask ME to give them food when they have a $200 food stamp card on them even while admitting that they're too lazy to go a mile down the road to get it after telling me they haven't eaten in two days. Meanwhile, I actually work for my right to eat and to have money and haven't bought anything for myself since September, but somehow I'm the one that is responsible for feeding them? You're delusional if you think I am somehow responsible for helping those who are unwilling to help themselves.

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... this isn't about slavery anymore, is it?

8. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I can't blame them, there really isn't much to debate about slavery. I'll be damned if anybody tries to argue in favor of it, and the repercussions of slavery are pretty clear. Black Americans get shafted in more ways than an average person including racial identification enabled by stuff like slavery and all of Africa got bent over by slavery and that also set the president of western powers continuing to screw over Africa.

9. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    technically yes, because it seems to empower the idea that they deserve things when they are in no way, shape, or form unique or were in a unique situation (Hey, at least we didn't sacrifice them all and throw them off a pyramid so the bears could eat their corpses) Weak nations get taken over and their populations enslaved or slaughtered all the time over the course of humanity's existence, but the idea that they are entitled to something for it keeps them weak, even in one of the strongest nations in the world where there are opportunities if one is willing to work. Lots of Cuban and Puerto Ricans around here have figured that out and they work hard and they get by with minimal complaint (well, from this generation anyway, the older ones still want to see Castro burn before they pass) It's not like the Spaniards were particularly nice to them either. I don't really understand the complaint about latinos, can't say I know of many illegals since all of the ones that I've met are from Cuba and Puerto Rico, Cubans are free to stay regardless of status once they hit land as long as they keep a clean record (and have legal rights and responsibilities, to my knowledge) and the latter are citizens to start with.