Skanderbeg Sword

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Count Driloz, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Count Driloz

Count Driloz Illyrian Witchking

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    George Kastrioti Skenderbeu (1405 - 17 January 1468) widely known as Skanderbeg, , is one of the most prominent historical figures in the history of Albania and of the Albanian people. He is also known as the Dragon of Albania and is the national hero of the Albanians. He is remembered for his struggle against the Ottoman Empire, through the work of his first biographer

One sword was curved (In the original Italian: una schimitarra storta), with a sharp edge and elegantly made of Damascened steel.

Other one was straight sword, which lay at the Museum of Ambras along with the helmet, is double-edged. The blade is dressed in gold. It is 85.5 centimeters long, 5.7 cm wide, and weighs 1.3 kilograms. Its scabbard is made of leather. According to Faik Konica, who viewed the sword at the beginning of the 20th century, there were still stains of blood on the blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ravus

Ravus New Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    veery nice.

is that a goat on his helmet?

3. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    That's really cool!

4. Count Driloz

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I was focussed on the sword here is the explanation about the Goat Helmet:

Skanderbeg’s helmet is made of white metal, adorned with a strip dressed in gold. On its top lies the head of a horned goat made of bronze, also dressed in gold. The bottom part bears a copper strip adorned with a monogram separated by rosettes * IN * PE * RA * TO * RE * BT *, which means: Jhezus Nazarenus * Principi Emathie * Regi Albaniae * Terrori Osmanorum * Regi Epirotarum * Benedictat Te (Jesus Nazarene Blesses Thee [Skanderbeg], Prince of Mat, King of Albania, Terror of the Ottomans, King of Epirus). It is thought that the copper strip with the monogram is the work of the descendants of Skanderbeg and was placed there by them, as Skanderbeg never held any other title but “Lord of Albania” (Dominus Albaniae)

The first element which commands attention is the meaning and symbolism of the horned goat on the helmet. It is difficult to assess with certainty what the horned goat might signify. It might be explained by the cult of the wild goat, the symbol of the “zana” or goddess "Diana".Note: Dhi-ana; Lady of the Goats in Albanian. The 'Z', 'D', 'Th' shift is vey common like Zeus, Deus, Theos. There are signs indicating that the cult of the wild goat is very ancient. The Roman writer and historian of the I-II century A.D., S. Suetom Tanquilli (De Vita Caesarum, L.II, 12, 94.) writes that the Roman Emperor Augustus, after putting down the Illyrian revolt of Bato, cut a coin bearing the head of a horned goat to celebrate the victory.

5. Ravus

Ravus New Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    heh wow. thats really interesting ^^

6. Rychos

Rychos What's Up, Doc?

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That helmet really steals the show. :)

Nice sword by the way.

7. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Actually Kastriotis was greek,in Greece he is known as Skenderbeys(Iskander-bey in turkish I guess)and he is considered one of the greek figures stolen by other nations,in this case Albanians.Now I don't want to fight with Count Drilloz,I like you man,but Skanderbeg says in his letters and in medieval chronicles that he's Greek.His father and grandfather were from Epirus and if I'm not mistaken his grandfather was from Kozani(modern day Greece).His name was Georgios Kastriotis and his father and grandfather also had Greek names.In his seal he referred to himself as king of the Romans(greeks),Albanians and Serbians.His emblem was the war-flag of the Byzantine Empire(the red flag with a black double-headed eagle)which much later became the national flag of Albania with a small change on the design of the eagle.

Nevertheless,Skanderbeg Albanian or Greek was a very strong and powerful leader of an autonomous area(autonomous from the Byzantine Empire at first,since the Empire had broken into 3-4 pieces including Constantinople,the Empire of Trebizond and the Despotate of Mystras,Skanderbeg was the leader of the Despotate of Epirus if I'm not mistaken)and resisted to Sultan Mehmed II and the Ottoman Turks with great courage and strength.

Now Drilloz I didn't know that the sword and helmet of his were still kept and actually in a museum.That's really amazing.Very nice photos!;)

If I'm not mistaken you have a his picture and a castle that he had on the highest Albanian banknote right?How much was it...1000 lek?10,000 lek?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  8. Count Driloz

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    @Foinikas

Sorry for the dealy in this answer I haven't been a while for sometimes because I am working in a project I'll let you when its ready, its about Illyrian/Albanian Mythology anyhow back to topic.
    Briefly I will post a short bio of Skanderbeg and as you said he was a powerful and great leader maybe and is fer less known worlwide. There is a movie/documentary that is being worked by an Albanian Production in US you can have a look its pretty cool ttp://www.illyriaentertainment.com.

Here is the bio taken from wikipedia

Born in Krujë northern Albania, Skanderbeg was a descendant of the Kastrioti family of Albanian origin.According to Gibbon,Skanderbeg's father, was Gjon Kastrioti (John Castriot), lord of Middle Albania, that included Mat, Krujë, Mirditë and Dibër.[4] His mother Vojsava [5] from the Tribalda family,[6] (who came from the Pollog valley, north-western part of Republic of Macedonia), or from the old noble Muzaka family. [7] Gjon Kastrioti was among those who opposed[8] the early incursion of Ottoman Bayezid I, however his resistance was ineffectual. The Sultan, having accepted his submissions, obliged him to pay tribute and to ensure the fidelity of local rulers, George Kastrioti and his three brothers were taken by the Sultan to his court as hostages. After his conversion to Islam,[9] he attended military school in Edirne and led many battles for the Ottoman Empire to victory. For his military victories, he received the title Arnavutlu İskender Bey, (Albanian: Skënderbe shqiptari, English: Lord Alexander, the Albanian) comparing Kastrioti's military brilliance to that of Alexander the Great.

He was distinguished as one of the best officers in several Ottoman campaigns both in Asia Minor and in Europe, and the Sultan appointed him General. He even fought against Greeks, Serbs and Hungarians, and some sources says that he used to maintain secret links with Ragusa, Venice, Ladislaus V of Hungary, and Alfonso I of Naples.[10] [4]Sultan Murat II gave him the title Vali which made him General Governor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skanderbeg

9. Count Driloz

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    About the pics I forgot there is one in my hometown in Prishtina

This is in Albania in Tirana

[​IMG]

This one in Prishtina

[​IMG]

In the city of Kruja, Albania.

[​IMG]

Skopje, Macedonia.

[​IMG]

A horseman statue portraying the Albanian folk hero, George Castriota Skanderbeg, in the square Piazza Albania in Rome, Italy.

[​IMG]

10. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yes I've read the wikipedia biography but for me,much of the stuff it says there either contradict one another or are simply wrong.But anyway I don't want to argue with you about Skenderbey's nationality,it's ok.

Nice photos they have nice statues of him in Albania and the countries near Albania from what I see!;)

11. linkd3

linkd3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats an awesome styled sword!..

not usually a big fan of curved blades but I like it.

Search tags for this page
albania knight statue
georg skanderberg sword
george kastrioti skanderbeg goat helmet
how much is skenderbeu sword worth
myth of skanderbeg helmet
scanderbeg and jesus
scanderbeg sword
skanderbeg blade

skanderbeg forum

skanderbeg helemet monogram
skanderbeg helmet