SJ's Garden Thread

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by S.J. Faerlind, May 2, 2013.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Beautiful flowers and your vegetable patch looks great: nice and organised and great colours.

I don't really follow the “Ooh, a toad. I'll put it on my bare foot!” train of thought though.

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I'll get some epsom salts and try that DS - thanks!
    The soil in the garden is now vastly improved over what it was. When my annuals are done for the year and I'm putting the deck boxes and pots away for the winter in the fall, I dump the soil from the pots in there. It's pretty depleted by then but the annuals die and compost a little over the winter and then everything gets turned over again in the spring. I've been doing that for about 8 years or so (?) now, plus adding compost from the composter too. Now the soil's starting to look pretty good :)

I'd let your pumpkin vines sort themselves out because you can never predict what sprouts are going to make it and which ones aren't. If they all make it, you can thin them later if you want to (don't wait too long though because they get all wrapped around each other fast) or just let them compete with each other. I planted a total of 12 seeds in 4 locations. A total of 4 plants came up. The ones on the right of the garden pic did the best: 2 came up and did well. The next location on the left had 1 come up and it's smaller but doing well. None came up in the next site over and one came up on the far left. That one struggled at first (something ate it's little baby leaves :( ), but now it's doing well. It's just slower to get going. I don't grow pumpkins for size but I've heard that if you select one per vine and pinch off any new ones that form afterward, the one on the vine will get bigger. Also, if you want toactually get pumpkins on your vines, you should pollinate them yourself when the flowers come out. I find the bugs here are really unreliable for that though I'm not sure why. If I won't get in trouble by the mods for posting mature content I'll post pics of the two types of flowers you'll find on the vines when mine start flowering....lol.

Sorry for the foot confusion Druid...lol. I put the toad on my foot to give you a sense of scale for how big it was. Most of the toads I find around here are about the size of my big toe or smaller so it was kind of neat to find that big one in my garden. There aren't a lot of things that fit in the space between the row of lettuce and the spinach and my foot was handy... hence the toad-on-foot pic. If my toes are offensive, I can take the pic down. :p

3. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I shall now have to call you Big Foot. :D We only get big toads, so I can't really imagine small ones.

As to being inappropriate: skin! You showed skin! How dare you!? Put back your 30 layers of clothing and cover your hair! :p

4. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    but....but... I don't like wearing shoes in the summer...:(

5. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    A good victorian woman shall remain fully covered in the presence of all that are not of her family! I am appalled!

:D I simply don't like wearing shoes. I just don't think that people would find it normal if I always walked around barefoot (I do sometimes go into the snow/frost barefoot, shorts and t-shirt).

6. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Alas... I shall never make a good Victorian woman!

Shoes in summer are an abomination. I only wear them to cut the grass or when I go out in public. I wear big boots in winter though. I can't get chilled or I lose circulation to my fingertips. Raynaud's phenomenon... you gotta love it *sigh*

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    My toes remain white for just about the whole of winter. My eyes are turning a bright blue.
    Obsidian burns me.
    :eek:

If I had my way, I'd wear a t-shirt and shorts all the time. No shoes/socks/jumper/coat/...
    Maybe a kilt when in Scotland :D

8. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    These pics are from this afternoon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    ... and some more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Oh you're one of those then huh?

@Sparrow: I love it, love it, love it! Your gardens are amazing!!!!

11. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Ah, I'm still a bit envious. The sand here is like a half step above the beach. I did transplant about 4 pumpkin seedlings to an area where it was just the natural soil and 3 of them wilted within 24 hours... I see with the pumpkins, but I have 30 strong seedlings in 4 spots so I think that picking some of them out is going to be necessary. I should have an extra two mounds as I had many less watermelon seeds sprout (well, many less seeds in addition) so I may have the pumpkins take over those two spots.

Couple of weeks and the peppers can be transplanted into the earthboxes, tomatoes will be planted... corn will be ready before too terribly long as well, I'm just hoping my compost pile will be ready before then, kinda broke and don't want to buy enough for 60 ft worth of corn... -.-

Thankfully, I've got a host of butterflies around and I've seen bees so I shouldn't have to pollinate by hand. I've found about 4 species of butterfly so far and I see most of them every day.

Nice garden shots Sparrow!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  12. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Thanks!

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Thanks... it's hard to believe that just down the street is a busy downtown, but I have at least my small green oasis.

14. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Pumpkins and tomatoes need a fair amount of water. I've never tried it but I know people that swear by partially burying an upside down 2L plastic pop bottle (or a number of them) in the dirt beside thirsty plants. If you make a hole in the bottom of the bottle you can fill it up and it's supposed to act something like a water reservoir. I don't know how that would work in sandy soil but you could give it a try. Alternatively you could plant your pumpkins in big pots (like half-barrels or something) and then just let the vines snake over the side. Then you can grow them in whatever dirt they like.

I envy you the corn. We have so many raccoons around here that any year I've tried to grow it, they rip the ears apart almost as soon as they form and we never get any. My parents actually plant two rows of sweet corn around their fields as a dupe for raccoons as well. That way the little devils eat the sweet corn and leave the corn they grow for silage alone :D

I hope your bees and butterflies are more diligent than the ones we have here. Mine are lazy!

That's arguably the best thing about a garden you know... it really transforms a space, even one as small as a balcony, into an oasis in the middle of chaos.
    That fountain in the middle of your garden is fantastic BTW.

15. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    That might work, I'd just need to refill it often. One of the issues with sandy soil is that nutrients run out of it quickly as does water so I have to add quite a bit of extra compost at regular intervals. I have big pots, but don't have anywhere near the finances to fill them with good quality stuff. The racoons are a bit of a concern, but we have three hawks, several owls, and at least one fox that call this area home so they shouldn't be too much of a problem. I am going to be putting up wire netting though to keep as many of the critters out while letting the pollinators come and go.

16. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    You can try filling the big pots with big rocks to reduce the amount of soil you need to fill them. My hubby and I built the big planter I have at my back door out of scrap wood. I lined it with plastic sheeting (clear garbage bags - cheap) and sealed it with caulking, filled half of it with large rocks (we have a lot of those in our soil here) and put good dirt on the top of it. The rocks act like space-filler but also help with drainage so the roots don't rot and the plastic liner holds moisture in the soil. If you try that, make sure the pots are where you want them though when you fill them up. You'll never be able to move them easily with the darn rocks in there :D

17. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

These old homes have next to nothing in the way of insulation so I can actually hear the fountain gurgling away most of the time. It's funny, people who are new to the historic district will drive past our enclave of five homes and our shared courtyard and then turn around and even get out of their car for a closer look. It's sort of unexpected so near to downtown.

18. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    I probably should be calling them barrels instead of pots, if I curl up my 6 ft frame can easily fit inside of one. I'd need small boulders, lol. They were originally for blueberry bushes, but no more blueberries so I ended up with them.

Pumpkin seedlings
    [​IMG]
    Painfully obvious as to where the amendments and the natural soil meet.

19. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    wtf am I doing here?

20. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Posting spam, apparently.