SJ's Garden Thread

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by S.J. Faerlind, May 2, 2013.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    It was like this, although her plant was even fuzzier:
    [​IMG]

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    ^ Now that's fuzzy!^

3. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    So many flowers and new veggies! Rather inspiring to see.

4. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Oh man I haven't checked this thread in a while. Those little curly stems on the pea plants are SO cute!

5. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    They are indeed cute! XD
    Some more photos I took last night:

Woolly Thyme (very fuzzy!) for Druid:

[​IMG]

The Iris buds are starting to open (gotta love these things... they're gorgeous):

[​IMG]

and I finally managed to get my container gardens in. We haven't had frost in awhile so here's hoping it stays away for a few months.
    I always feel bad for annuals when I first plant them. The poor things look so little and straggly/unhappy when they come home from the garden centre :(

Deck boxes:

[​IMG]

6. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Herbs and peppers:

[​IMG]

This is by my back door. It doesn't look like much yet but all those tiny green things are pansies that self-seeded. I'm gonna let them grow. For some colour I added some impatiens in the meantime. They'll spread like crazy:

[​IMG]

Tomatoes! The big ones are a variety called "sub-arctic". I like them because they produce fruit and ripen early. The tiny one in the front is a "space tomato"... a variety that they are growing on the space station... should be interesting!

[​IMG]

7. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I also set up my container water garden (finally!). My kids got me a dragon-shaped pond spitter statue for mother's day this year. :D The year before last, I had a metal watering can that I drilled a hole in and caulked some tubing to before connecting it to a pump. It looked pretty good but I think the dragon looks better!

[​IMG]

Another view of the dragon:

[​IMG]

8. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Your dragon looks like a griffin.

Wooly thyme! Yay! *rubs it*

Well, you certainly seem to have the weather for those plants! Your terrace/deck/whatever-you-call-it looks beautiful, especially with the plants.
    We grow tomatoes in deck pots, with sticks stuck in vertically, so that we can just pop in-and-out to pick them.

9. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    A really neat thing happened yesterday! All kinds of birds nest in the trees in our neighbourhood and sometimes you get to see the babies. A fledgling crow managed to find its way into our backyard. Once they hit a certain size they jump/fall out of their nest and the parents look after them on the ground until they're able to look after themselves. Until all of their adult feathers come in they can't fly very fast or very far so they hop and flap awkwardly along. This one was in my vegetable garden and since Eve (my kitty) was looking very interested in it I figured we'd better get it out of our backyard. It couldn't jump over or go through the chain-link fence and with the cat nearby the parents were going crazy in the trees. I caught the crow in an old towel and lifted it over the fence, figuring it would flap away as soon as I uncovered it but it just sat there on my hand for awhile. Very cool!

[​IMG]

It finally did jump off my hand and manage to land on my neighbour's lilac tree which is very close to the fence:

[​IMG]

Mom (or Dad... I can't really tell) watching from high above:

[​IMG]

We took Eve inside and watched the trees carefully. Mom and Dad were soon back to feeding their little one, much calmer now that the cat wasn't hanging around. :)

10. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    You did send a message to Westeros whilst you were at it, right?

We sometimes get grows, who annoy the magpies, so that's good.

11. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Yeah it kinda does look a little like a griffin doesn't it? The wings are bat-like though so I finally decided it was a dragon in the end. The plants always add a lot to the deck atmosphere actually. We spend waaaayy more time out there in summer if I do the planters, believe it or not!

I like to grow tomatoes in pots. If I plant them in the ground I never seem to be able to water them enough. :p The pots work way better and I think they help conserve water too. The pot I use for them has a reservoir underneath it so it holds any excess water so the plants can use it later if the soil starts to dry out. If I plant them in the ground, excess water just runs away.

12. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    hahahaha XD
    Darn it all.... I knew I forgot something.......

13. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I never though of planting them in the ground unless it were a proper big farm. My granddad used to have loads in pots in his greenhouse and we now have them in pots.

It's true that plants do make it much nicer.

14. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Reservoir pots are really nice, but at least with the ground you don't necessarily have to fertilize it if the ground bacteria and fungi cultures are active and balanced. What kind of soil do you have? Any recommendation for types of tomato?

15. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    If you use good compost in the pots, then they grow very well.
    We had some really good cherry tomatoes and some amazing yellow ones that grew well and were quite sweet.

16. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    We have basically crappy soil for gardening here. I live between a river and a gravel pit so there's a lot of rocks and clay in the ground here. The layer of topsoil under the grass isn't too bad but it isn't great for humus or retaining moisture in my experience. I have a composter so every year I spread compost on my gardens. After the frost comes and we're putting everything away for the winter, I dump the soil from the containers into the gardens as well. I use commercial potting soil called "Verandah" from a company called "Fafard" whenever I can get it and worked into the ground with the compost, it helps.... a lot. I also don't rake up my leaves and haul them to the curb for disposal like all my neighbours do. I mulch them up with the lawnmower and rake them into the gardens too. A lot of them stay on my lawns as well and by the time we cut the grass for the first time in the spring, you can't tell that the leaves were left on the lawn all winterl. :)

As far as tomatoes go, I like the "Sub-arctic" or "Early Girl" varieties but that's more a factor of the climate here. I live at a high elevation and we have a shorter growing season than the rest of southern Ontario. If I try and grow big or late-blooming tomatoes (like beefsteaks for example), they NEVER ripen before the frost. One frost on a tomato and it's done! :p I hate picking them green and lining them up around all the windows in my house to ripen. I also like the smaller tomatoes because they seem to be more flavourful. The sub-arctic ones are amazing :) I'm interested to see how the "space tomato" does however. My son's class grew them from seeds in little peat pots and then gave them to their mothers for mother's day. I didn't realize how quickly they can dehydrate in those little peat pots and thought I'd killed it when I forgot to water it one day: poor little thing was all shriveled up and wizened! I watered it anyway (just in case it had a spark of life still left in it). To my amazement, it perked up within a few hours and kept right on trucking. That's a tough little tomato!

I don't really ever have enough compost to put in the pots. :( I should really move my composter to a sunnier location. Maybe then it would break down stuff faster. As such I'm stuck with fertilizer which I only use in the containers and for the lilacs. They stubbornly refuse to flower without it and I don't get that. The lilac bushes down by the river don't ever get fertilizer and they flower every year. I must have primadonnas or something. :p

17. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i love it SJ!! my mom does the same and she always gets overexcited by discovering some new little flower or plant in her garden :D.
    your pics look very nice :), and seriously, you have to take a photo of a bunny in your garden one time :D although i understand when you just want to scare it away hehe

18. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Those little things that kind of just show up when you didn't plant them are awesome surprises! People who like to grow things are easily amused I guess. XD
    Speaking of which, you'll never guess what I found in my garden today.... a walnut tree seedling! I have no idea where it came from though I suspect it is there courtesy of one of our neighbourhood squirrels.
    As for the bunnies.. I do have a pic of one from last year:
    [​IMG]
    Cute! :D

19. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Ah, we have the opposite problems down here, our soil is very sandy so its easy to work, but all the water is gone really quickly and combined with the heat makes high water plants high maintenance if you don't have a system worked out for it. Thankfully, it's been a pretty wet year thus far (and should continue if the almanac is correct) so it's not much of a problem. I'll have to check into the space tomatoes, sound rather neat! My one tomato plant probably isn't going to make it, transferred it today and discovered it has next to no root system so I doubt it'll make it to Sunday. Do you cold compost? Hot composting is faster but takes a lot more micromanagement (though I'm not overly familiar with the process, that's just what I hear)

20. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    That's a great picture!

We used to get red squirrels multiple times a day in the garden at our old house, as well as bunnies every so often. We used to live right on the edge of a forest.

Now we're separated from the forests by open fields and there are some more houses around us, as well as an actual fence around the garden, so no more cute animals for the cats to play with (except for birds, lots of them).