SJ's Garden Thread

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by S.J. Faerlind, May 2, 2013.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Soooo... it's been a long time since I posted in this thread. I put in a new shade garden and rock pathway in some troublesome spots where nothing grows under some maple trees. here's hoping the shade-loving stuff I planted doesn't die!

Shade Garden:
    [​IMG]

This is full of native Canadian forest plants: 3 types of fern, wood poppy, 1 trillium, solomon's seal, Canada Wild Ginger, Virginia Bluebells, Virgin's Bower (a native clematis) and northern bush honeysuckle.

Rock Path:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It starts at the front walkway and goes all the way around the side of the house to the backyard gate. T'is a vast improvement over the hard-packed dirt that was there before.

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The pics ain't showing up?

3. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    darnitall!
    Let's try this instead:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is that better?

There are these lonely little islands of moss....
    I hope they spread out fast!

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    That's better.

You might try transplanting moss into the cracks between the flagstones. It's a bit time consuming but it looks really neat when it fills in the cracks.
    The topmost pic looks awesome, the natural rock perimeter around the trees with the flagstone path meandering around. Nice 'zen' feeling.

5. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Thanks! I'm really happy with that shade garden. :) I got the flagstone from a local aggregate company who must have been looking to get rid of it since it was pretty darn cheap. (The whole lot cost me about 25 dollars.) It took me about 3 days to dig out and lay that path. The stones around the garden are fieldstone from a relative's farm. I had to borrow their pickup truck to haul it home. Otherwise I think the weight might have killed the suspension in my car. I got the plants from a garden centre that specializes in growing native Ontario plants. It was a bit of a drive to get there but was worth it in the end. They even had a hiking trail that went around the woods of their property. All the trilliums were blooming the day I went. Sooo pretty!

I had originally thought to stuff the moss into the cracks in the path but the garden centre staff where I got the moss thought I'd probably kill it if I tried to divide it and then transplant it. I think that you're right and it will look awesome with moss in between the flagstones. I might try this instead of the scotch moss though: http://www.wildflowerfarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=58