SJ's Garden Thread

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by S.J. Faerlind, May 2, 2013.

1. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Neither the pumpkins nor watermelons made it. The pumpkins got eaten by bugs I think and the watermelon vines died before the fruit ripened, the biggest only got to be about grapefruit size, but weren't edible.

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    awww :(
    don't give up though!

3. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Too late... the garden area is pretty much gone and has been flattened. Not stopping my ever growing collection of potted plants though! Gonna plant flowers when they arrive by the end of this week, just going to keep them inside for the next month or so until Canada stops throwing its weather all the way down here :p

4. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Sorry about that...lol
    I blame the arctic regions: they seem to have developed a sudden desire to invade the rest of the continent. They also seem to be succeeding. :p

5. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    I can't complain, it's nice to be reminded what winter is supposed to feel like. It'll be back up to 25 by Friday and will hang around until either spring arrives (back into the 30's, yay! not.) or the next wave of Arctic sneezes comes through.

evacuation spot!: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    ^^They look so cosy all packed in there like that :)

7. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Hope they are and manage to stay warm!

8. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    *thinks warm thoughts for DS' plants*

9. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    They have survived! And back outside they've went. When does the snow generally melt and your garden becomes usable again?

10. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    The permanent melt usually starts sometime in March and once the snow is gone I can start working on the perennial beds. I have to rake the leaves off them, edge them and start weeding them (believe it or not!) and prune my clematis back. The annuals I grow in pots but I wouldn't dare plant them before June 1st. We often get late spring frosts into May and that will kill a lot of them.

So what are you going to grow in all those pots you got? :D

11. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Frost in May, oh what I would give sometimes, lol. By March it's like the sauna turned back on and we're back to sweating just by sitting outside for a few minutes.

Weeds survive all that snow? The buggers really are invincible. >.<

I've got zinnia right now and have some coleus (I think they were called) on the way supposedly. I may do pygmy sunflowers as well.

12. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I grew coleus from seed once and they grew to monstrously big sizes....very cool!
    Sunflowers are easy but they grow fast. Even though they're annuals, I dare not start them in pots inside until May.... they grow too fast!

The weeds around here are really tough... especially the dandelions. One summer we had a really bad drought. All the grass turned brown and the only green you could see on the lawns were dandelions. Everybody seems to hate them with a passion but if the truth be known, I like having them around. Though they flower intermittently all summer, they really go to town flowering in the spring and the lawns are all covered in sunny yellow from them.....very pretty. I do spend a fair amount of time digging them out of my gardens though and man are they ever tough to remove. Those tap-roots go down at least a foot or more.

13. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Which variety of sunflowers did you have? The ones I had took about 6 weeks to get up and going and the original packet I got would've taken nearly half a year. Course, they were supposed to get 14 ft tall with a flower as big as a keg...

Yeah, those have got to be fun to pull up. I remember we used a mix of atrazine and basagran to kill them when I worked pest control. Probably not available without a license but you could check, though they do tend to spread a bit once in the soil.

14. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Hmmm... honestly I don't remember the variety. They came up quickly though, grew very large (taller than me for sure!) and fell over in a nasty wind/rain storm. :( There's no way they would sell any annual seeds that took as long as your sunflowers took to grow up here. Our growing season is just too short. We stop getting overnight frosts around the beginning of June sometime and they usually start up again in late September. If you start seeds in the ground on June 1st, they'd better be early-maturing plants if they can't be started indoors earlier! I'll have a look for the varieties of sunflower seeds they stock up here though and I'll let you know. :)

15. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    This last freeze we had was so bad that it killed off nearly all the weeds in my yard. In Florida the grass of choice is St. Augustine which is actually more weed than grass, definitely not grass you want to have a picnic on... but it's still as green as ever. Nothing kills it.

16. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Do you mean bahia? St Augustine is finicky as goes dormant when the temp hits 50F or lower.

17. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Weeds that die in the cold.....lol
    I think for grass up here we have mostly Kentucky bluegrass/perennial rye grasses and /or some mixture of fescue. We aren't allowed to spray our lawns with pesticides any longer and even before the ban on them I never did. I have a lot of shade from the accursed Norway maples that somebody planted on the property many years before we bought the house. Very little grows beneath that species of tree and grass really struggles so weeds can be a good thing 'cause they're still green. I actually like the variety in my lawn. It's infested with wild strawberries, making it very tasty in late June. :D

18. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Yeah, bahia is actually considered a weed but its the natural grass here. It doesn't die no matter what you do to it. You can freeze it, you can scalp it, you could probably light it on fire and it would probably grow back. >.< St Augustine is a lot pickier and is a lot thicker and nicer grass but goes dormant at 50 and looks dead. It is also a lot more vulnerable to SAD (Literally, St. Augustine Disease) fungus and chinch bugs than bahia is. If you fertilize it right before a freeze it turns black I've heard.

I prefer weeds in the grass, much more contrast and not so plain. Particularly fond of clover and oxalis for the symbolism mostly.

19. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Nope, definitely St.Augustine, and it is dormant but still green.
    Haven't mowed it in over a month. In late October I always sprinkle a "winter only" fertilizer on the the lawn and it seems to keep it healthy. Even if it turns to straw because of prolonged freezing weather it'll bounce right back with the first showing of Spring.

20. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Interesting, it so rarely freezes down here I'm not sure I've ever seen how it reacts to it, but that's what I had been told. Not so much a professional as I had thought I suppose. Our St. Augustine at my parents generally browns through the winter and comes back in spring so that winter mix is good stuff. Is it a Scott's brand or?