SJ needs help with art :D

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by S.J. Faerlind, Nov 12, 2013.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    OK, so I'm going to try and do a "book trailer". It's kind of like a movie trailer but it's for a series of books instead. In it there will be 5 images which are basically scenes from the story. Since I'm not a very good artist I was hoping you guys might give some constructive criticism on how to improve the artwork.
    I'm shooting for something that looks like a painting out of a medieval manuscript with the images. I'll give you an example:

http://blog.europeana.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/manuscript2_optimised.jpg

Each image will have the same "frame" around the scene from the story like the medieval page shown above does. I spent today painting that and this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Hm, I'm not sure what advice I can offer really. I think I'd need to see some of the illustrations within this frame to be able to get a better idea of what the final thing will look like. I do, however, think the frame you have there is very in keeping with the style you're trying to evoke. :)

3. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    well that's a good start then....right? :D

4. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Ha ha! Yes, I think so! :D

I hope some other good folks will chime in though. It'd be nice to get some other perspectives. :)

5. PerFolmer

PerFolmer Citizen of Urth.

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Hey SJ!

I agree with Ephemeral on this one. I would like to see some of your ideas for the art before I open my mouth :D
    Sorry I can't be of any help. I think the frame is a good idea and it looks good too. I would check out Romanesque art and architecture because they use alot
    of small sculptures or images on pillars, walls and over doors. Maybe those could help figuring out the often poses they use and so forth.
    Cool project!

6. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    thanks for the suggestion Per. I'll Google Romanesque art and have a look. :)

7. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I think that the feathers are amazing SJ and the frame does look great. I just find the pastel purple a little weird.
    I think that you need a few stronger lines still on the frame, although what you already have there is really good :)

8. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Thanks Druid. :)
    By pastel purple, do you mean in the celtic knotwork? Darn it all...I meant to fix that!

I worked on the first painting for hours yesterday, got the background almost done and then my program crashed and I lost almost everything. -_-
    Starting over......

9. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I'm genuinely upset to read this. Seriously, I feel your pain. This has happened to me too, and more times than I care to count. :(

10. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    On the bright side, I re-painted what I lost today and it turned out better than the last time. I will say that painting leaves on trees in a forest is a real pain though....lol.

11. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    It really is. When do we get to see it? :D

12. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    patience, patience :nono:
    It isn't done yet!
    Right now it looks like a forest sitting on top of a bunch of monochromatic brown dirt because I haven't put the detail into the leaf litter yet. It's very boring I assure you. :p

13. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    *Sits and waits*

14. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    OK so here's the background done (FINALLY!). Constructive criticism is welcome. :) Now I just have to draw the characters to put in it....

forest1small.jpg

I swear, between leaves and golden feathers (gold has to be the WORST colour in the world to get right!!!! :p), this project is gonna kill me....lol.

If you guys think this concept isn't going to work, I also had a thought of doing the same scene in a stained glass style.

15. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Good Lord, S.J., that is amazing! I kid you not! I know those are all meant to be leaves and such - and they do look like that - but the whole composition has an almost impressionist feel to it. I would definitely stop here and do no more to it (except for adding the figures of course).

16. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    *faints due to the sheer awesomeness radiating of the computer screen right now*

That is amazing! Those leaves, with the sunlight on them and the shadows are THE BEST.
    I want to lock you away in a room and force you to write and paint like that :)
    (family/animal visits will be allowed, as well as inspirational bike rides :D)

17. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    thanks guys :)
    Coming from such great artists that is high praise indeed!
    I have to say I'm not totally happy with the leaves though. Drawing each one shaped individually was going to be impossible. After trying many brushes in Painter I finally settled on an acrylic bristle brush because of the opaqueness of the strokes, changing the size of it as I painted (smaller for leaves at a distance, larger for he foreground ones). In future, I think I'll try drawing the foreground leaves individually like I did for the ferns and use dots and lines for the distance ones again.

18. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wow SJ it's very nice!!! did you make this in paint? it indeed has a bit of an impressionists touch to it. i love it :). it looks very realistic! it resembles the natural flow of sunlight (eehh don't know how to say it in english but i assume you'll understand :D) in a forest very well.

19. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Yes, Bel, I think you've hit upon another aspect of what I like about this image. The flow of light gives the composition a bright, airy feel, which is totally appropriate for these books. If you've read the first one especially, this image evokes something of the characters and the golden hue they possess. Very fitting.

S.J., I implore you to save a separate copy of this image before you go tinkering with it... just in case, you know, anything goes wrong with your amendments. :D

20. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Thanks Bel :) and it's a digital painting...done totally on my computer in Corel Painter 12.

Oh for sure! I painted the background separate from the characters. I'll paint them individually in separate files and then paste them into this image. I'll definitely save the composite under a new name to keep the original background image separate for 2 reasons: 1. The characters will likely be where my skills lack most obviously. (I hate drawing people because I'm just not very good at it!) 2. I may want to recycle that background in the future for another project since I'm pretty happy with it.