SITE IMPORTANT NOTICE - all read!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Overread, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Yes big important news thingy!

Anyways its come to my attention that we need a bit of spark around here. We've got our regular threads ticking over but nothing really new, nothing sparking and nothing getting the newbies into things.

So its time to have a chat and come up with some ideas of things we can do to kick-start some energy back into the site and get the madness and fun flowing again!

Admin are behind us too - so if we get ideas that need a little further admin support to get off the ground we can certainly discuss and have them proposed as well! They are also readying a nice email to nudge people with to get some of the oldtimers and members coming back to have a look - so we want something that will appeal to long and new term members :)

So what are you ideas - what do you want to see - what do you want to happen - what do you think will work!

2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Ooooh, I like the idea of coming up with ideas to kick-start TFF!

I have an idea, but no idea how useful (or realisable!) it might be. Maybe we could do something about that leaderboard on the right-hand side of the forum, extend it somehow, to reward users for posting a lot, and/or regularly, and/or long posts (with a certain number of words), or who open new threads (but only new threads with a lot of activity, to keep people from spamming), and what else might be rewarded. The rewards could be badges, for instance.

ALSO, something else just came to mind! What I consider as a little off-putting, and what could be off-putting for new members, is the sheer amount of (dead) threads in our forums. If you're new and want to browse TFF to see what is being or has been discussed, the 1,338 threads in General Discussion, just as an example, are kind of deterring.
    So what I think TFF could use is a spring cleaning. This, however, has a couple of problems: a) It's a whole lot of work - Who'd want to do it? b) Who decides which threads have a right to continue their existence and which ones don't? Or how do you decide that?
    Also, of course it might also be that it's just me who has a problem with all those threads. :p

No big ideas, but it's something. :D

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    The leaderboard idea has merit though comes with a touch of risk - sometimes when you make things like that start to become "important" you get people who go nuts at trying to get them. TFF's current population doesn't really worry about it much if at all but its a thought to the future - though yes we could make much more use of it.

Thread cleaning out I get the idea of - but at the same time I'd rather see more active threads kick the old ones out than cull the old ones. Because then all we'd do is cull everything old and then the site has no history - further it culls out lots of stuff established members might want to still see.

A dead site and a site with nothing are both not ideal and I'd rather we found ways to be more active and promote more activity .

4. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    well with the older threads, maybe if they haven't been posted in a few years could be moved to the archive section, and if they get enough activity again, could be taken back out, though that would probably be a lot of work, though it would give us a solution to kinda clean up the sections that are regularly posted in. another idea is to combine all the threads that are of either the same content, or similar, though I think that gets done on a regular basis anyway.

no real big ideas just yet, though if I think of something I'll definitely share it.