SITE DISCUSSION!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Overread, Nov 22, 2015.

1. TheRolePlayer

TheRolePlayer New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree somewhat with the others that have posted here.
    However, forums aren't a dead cause, they are just losing steam after major games start rolling out and people started to move away from the decent forums and secluding themselves from communities. A couple of things that might be able to help the users to stay might be:
    1. De-clutter. The mobile site isn't exactly easy to navigate, and the vast multitude of threads and topics is daunting and confusing to a new member. Try archiving old topics (threads that haven't been posted on for x number of months) and putting them in a new collapsed subsection, which if user decide to go and root around the archives, they can simply roll open the archive and get digging.
    2. Index and prioritise. This is a fantasy RP forum, is it not? If yes, then prioritise the fantasy/RP topics and threads over the other topics. Also, index, try making a wikipedia-style jump-to index, where users can simply find the general topic they want, click it and it will jump to that section for them to peruse.
    3. Crunch down on spam. Advertise minor staff positions, Trawlers or De-Spammers, who get rewards for going through threads and topics and remove spam posts (obviously you'll need a moderator or someone who can approve the De-Spammer's choice) and they'll get points for every approved spam post that they get rid of. If you give them good rewards for their work, I can guarantee you'll get at least a small flow of members simply looking for 'work'.
    4. Advertisements. I know and can see that you already have a few scattered about the site, but one easy way to get an increased flow of money is to simply add more advertisements. One of the best and user-friendly ways to do it is to put in 4-5 no-sound no-video advertisements right at the bottom, where users will see them if they scroll down to the archives, or the lower prioritised topics.
    5. Collapse your topics. There's nothing worse than having to scroll through masses of threads before getting to the one you want. If you decide to not to point 2, then this is a good idea. Simply put all of your threads under a topic into a collapsible box, so it aids with de-cluttering the site.

Also, don't lose faith in the younger generations, I'm no exactly a child but I'm still in my early teens, you just need to advertise to the right people.

And as a side-note, I typed all this, none of it is copied from anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  2. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Mobile is`nt easy to navigate? It can be - look at reddit. The mobile users are most of population - I use reddit 99% on mobile. Ok reddit is bit easier to simply scale to web-app , but with a bit of effort this site can be great on mobile.

Weird side note. Make me google and distrust your opinion. Tbh.

3. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My experience is that people does not give free things much value. Many just download or copy&paste the book for reading later, but then they forget about it because they never paid any money for it or cared much to begin with. They just got it because it was free.

Some people buys the book in a form or another after they have read a free copy and liked it, but I am not sure they are a significant ammount.

4. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well technically you could download witcher 3 for free; but still many many bought it. Because it was awesome content

5. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to dedicate the entire forum to authors, just a section of it is enough. This way the members will have more choices.
    One of the reasons i'm suggesting this is because i'm also a member at a site where the viewers can read chinese webnovels(translated, of course.) A group of translators post at least a chapter per day, and that makes me visit the site everyday(it has thousands of viewers). I'm just hoping that we could do something similar here in order to bring more members. It doesn't have to be exclusively with books... i'm just thinking that something similar to that might work.

6. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just in case you are still trying to deal with your depression... These are the two things i did in order to overcome it(i hope it helps): 1. I started meditating. It really calms you down and it gets rid of all your dark thoughts and emotions.
    2. I try to see myself as an rpg character. Meaning, i see myself as a level 1 human. We all have skills like fighting skills-writing skills-cooking skills-flirting skills-driving skills etc. but they are all at level 1, so my goal is to level up, to maximize my stats.

7. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    We get depressed as an evolved adaption to cope with adverse conditions. Depressed and stressed people have enhanced problem solving skills. F*** meditation, go fix the damn problem!

Actually, I often wonder if the prolonged stress I've suffered (and thus prolonged enhanced problem solving) is the reason I got so smart?! There's an up side to everything.

8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well snap.Do you know what depression and stress is ? {google it now}
    enhanced you mean advanced?

Well I doubt that stressed people have better problem solving skills, as the stress rises the activity of many hormones that disable the right chemical reaction in brain for it to order properly ( thus the shaking in stress, and the inability to speak etc.) Depression is and advanced state of stressed people (to be honest stress can cause it ) Depression is a state, where the human body cannot get the hormone levels down by its own - it has reached a critical state where for example it cannot produce anymore endorphine and thus, the brain activity is low - and you feel like shit. Medical solutions are highly recommended - in lesser cases of depressions ( rare, and depression is a heavy term) some diets could help, - eat food that provides the necessary vitamins and minerals to active glands. And no there is no good side to depression or stress, please do not spread such false knowledge. Its a serious matter.

The argument, that you got smart because you were stressed is impossible, you might have high IQ and thus you coped with depression/stressed in non-direct way - but it is not the cause.
    Well, what to you mean by enhanced problem solving?

9. TheRolePlayer

TheRolePlayer New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am mobile user too, I'm just saying a mobile phone almost 100% of the time has a longer loading time than a computer, so when I first logged in i was really confused while the page loaded and sections were collapsing etc. Also, when scrolling through lots of topics it can be awkward on a mobile.

10. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    The problem is, as other people have mentioned, forums are a dying breed. Yes you are correct with your statement but we must also realize the only active.. or rather semi-active forums are forums for specific games that come out that year. Plus they only last 3 years or so. The only exception I can think of is 'Steam' forums that people only post in when they have troubles launching a game, or get stuck in a game. Sad but true.

You make it sound as if you want to run the the forum like a business? Maybe that is in fact needed. After all, that is the way of the world these days. Would be sad to see it happen tho.

Ha nice! OR get people back here to talk about said games lol. Also Do not touch spam! It is the only thing left atm hahaha

Okay mate. I agree and disagree
    1)Agreed but you never liked me anyway hahaha :p
    2)spam helps newbies to get into the flow, especially the timid kind. You have a valid point, but spam to some small degree is needed.
    3)Agreed
    nice input

I think at the end of the day. This site is a vicious circle, in that' people leave so others don't post.. so more leave, so more dont post etc. etc. That sums up what everyone is saying here in a nutshell. Now the solution is up to the forum admins. They bought the site, they knew it was struggling. When they first took over, they were active and happy for a chat. However a few months later they disappeared. I have not seen one of them post anything.
    If they want this forum to thrive, Why not free advertise it on YouTube? Hell, I'm off work now for 3 weeks. I'll even help make a short vid.
    It's just an option.

That's just my drunk-arse opinion anyway. Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot. :D

11. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    @AlphaAlex na man I always enjoyed your spam, but due to time zones I rarely got to see it

12. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I was just pointing out how some succesful sites are operating these days. The ones I was actually thinking about just happen to be actual businesses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    heh was just playing around mate XD
    I see your point mate. I just feel IF it happened; It would be a sad day, that is all.
    In fact, you just reminded me of something. The original Forum owners did in fact have a web-store for medieval weapons originally. I believe this site was intended back in the day to talk about their products, however expanded into a full blown fantasy forum. I'm sure older members could either explain more or correct me. (if they aint all dead)

• Informative Informative x 1