SITE DISCUSSION!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Overread, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    So we had a bit of reshuffle earlier in the year with many of the subsections and new owners on board; but I think its time we sat down and had a chat about what we can do to help get the site a bit more active (besides shutting down Facebook and twitter and whatever it is that google and MS are doing to emulate those two).

So what do you feel are some ideas we can throw around to get the site buzzing and active again; what are your views on what mods/admin could be doing to help promote and provide for you the members and what would you like to see appearing as features/projects/themes/ideas for the future?

The more ideas the better

2. Pinkduckie

Pinkduckie Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Shutting down Facebook sounds fine :D

Since it's a forum I do not believe you can just attract people, but you have to make sure that everyone who visits is interested enough to stick around.
    And since the majority of the time the most used and thus the topic you see first as a new visited are called "The picture of yourself thread", "What are you listening to", "How are you feeling"...
    Not the kind of topics that sparks the interest.

I admit I'm not really suggesting anything (because I'm not sure how to spark the interest) but I believe this is part of the problem. The biggest one being there are less then 20 active users.

3. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    In short:

1.forums are dead.... (gonna delete one from my site)

2. here post only hard die fans

3. we (I refer to 2 'cause I've been top poster since Jan 2015), post to threads we meet people we know...

4. I'm afraid there is no solution

4. Pinkduckie

Pinkduckie Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well I didn't want to bring it that way but,... JNK is correct. Forums are dead, hardly anyone is interested in joining one anymore.

5. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I would argue that whilst time are not as easy as they once were forums are still active and used. We just have to adjust to cater for smaller populations and greater retention of uses. Most of the inactivity is due to oldies leaving through time coupled with a lack of significant recruitment of new members to replace (mostly on account of facebook snapping them up somewhat).

I think the site can still function and work - wej ust need ideas:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pinkduckie

Pinkduckie Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Maybe try merging with other fantasy forums (if there are any), this would increase the userbase, so when potentially new members visit the forum they don't enter a almost dead community.

I'd like to see more use of the houses but if I'd be surprised if I could find 3 members with enough time and interest to try to 'reopen' the bookclub with me. (Not to mention I have never joined such a thing and I suspect I'd have to organize everything which could be problematic) The whole point is there are hardly enough active members and with too wide spread interests or too little time.

7. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Merging might be possible, but might not be - the site is owned by Forum Foundry and I'm unsure if they've another fantasy site under their belt. It's an option but not always the most ideal and might not be the most practical at this stage (although interestingly it was done in the past once or twice to the site)

8. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Two things attract people to websites. Content and services.

The free content business model is the one meme websites follow. They let the users create content, so other users go there to watch it or read it. They get involved and create more content (they post their own jokes and gags). Meanwhile, the webmaster is profiting from the advertising and data mining without generating any content himself. The people generating the profits are the people sustaining the website. It is a very smart model.

The service business model consists in selling or offering services or goods people want. You just create a shop or whatever and sell something people wants.

Forums are in the first cathegory.

You need bring people in order to generate content. You need to know what people is looking for in a forum and, most importantly, what they want to post in the forum. In this regard, I suspect that releasing a bit the "spam policies" would be a wise move... create some subforums for author self-promotion, metal bands with fantasy themes, videogame makers... This people is willing to create threads full of information for free. As long as they are constrained in their own sections, it won't be invasive for people who does not want to read self-promotion.

Another idea is to create some thrematic threads. Create a joke thread, a short story thread, an illustrations thread... let people come and post their stuff. You will need to set each thread into motion and commit to updating each at least once per week or so, but once these are moving, they will self-sustain.

Those are my two cents. But don't take me too seriously, my marketing tactics are know not to work well (less than 2% of the people in my target audience that is exposed to my products is interested, hahaha).

PS: I don't like web tehcnology very much. I prefer NNTP based "forums" instead of web based ones. The problem is thatr NNTP is not very mainstream and you don't find the general public in it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    get rid of spam out of the non spam sections, make spam not count to posts.
    what attracted me when i joined was the huge number of on topic threads, quizzes etc.
    now you'd be lucky to find a thread which actually contains fantasy and has been posted on that day.
    tff isn't a fantasy forum anymore, it's simply spam

10. Pinkduckie

Pinkduckie Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    That's the same as I said, the first topics you see when entering the sites is spam, you have to scroll halfway down before you find an actual topic about fantasy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    and maybe tell game developers to stop releasing all the good games at the same time. I only say this because since Fallout 4 dropped, I haven't really had enough time to do anything but play video games, work and sleep. though that's probably just me and a few others but still, why dobthey all come out at the same frickin time. aside from that try sending out emails to existing members to try to reel them back in. maybe try to have contests amongst the members which may help keep interest in the site longer then a few months. and I agree with Jim, Spam should not count towards post totals. though I do find myself spamming quite a bit, which I'm sorry for, but when a thread goes off topic, it can be hard to bring it back in. maybe try and police spamming on non spam threads a bit more where if it gets too out of hand, someone steps in and tries to bring it back to what the conversation should be. I don't think you can completely stop all spam but it could be handled differently where maybe the spamy posts get deleted and so on and so forth so that new members don't only see that stuff. I feel all the general chat threads should be considered spam because that's all it is.

12. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    To be honest, forums are dying/dead for a while now, it`s all cuz the modern youth is fning retarded :D

Ok to be more serious, this form of communication is replaced by a bit more easier, and to be honest wider. The main reason I belive that forums are used is to gather information fast - like stackoverflow is quite popular - thus forums are dead argument, is kind of non-relevant.

So I believe to make this forum more active :
    1. need more memebers (active ones). Honestly I think this is the main issue here - new people comeby but they never stick around, because there is not big enough acitve userbase at the moment.
    Solution : try to bring back some old ones, and be more active with new comemmers
    2. ISSUE. I believe this forum is too spam centered, and it lack the proper discussions to keep the newer members, as some may no be yet ready for our spam. And most of spam, is just that spam. No jokes, no content just random spam. - I beleive that gives the messega to new memebers, and some returning old ones, that there is no serious content here.
    3. What the this place popular. I came here just randoming stuff on google, found out some nice discussion and role play, general contact with other people - it currently lacks, jus that. genuine contact with other posters.

well it was my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Raraldor

Raraldor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I can't really add too much from what everyone else has said.

I've thought of/tried coming back every now and again these past few years since it was my home for a decent amount of my high school life. But the RP threads had dried up( I don't actually know where they are in the forums anymore lol), and even with all the cool sections we have for writers and the armor and weapons discussions for LARPers not much has been posted there due to lack of people interested those more niche fantasy aspects. Even back then in 2009 a lot of the posts were in spam, but with more active threads and members posting multiple times daily, it wasn't as much of a problem. This may just be me getting older and noticing more though :p

Community is everything in the end, if things aren't constantly flowing it'll stagnate. I'm not really sure how you can tell people this place even exists short of someone putting in a large amount of effort into facebook pages and a twitter account. Other than that all we can really do is make some new, lasting RP or book discussion threads in hopes that new people will be excited to join in and stick around long enough to learn about the people here, who were all pretty great.

14. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    And a bettee mobile version would not hurt

15. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I'd echo what many have already said ~ forums have really died and for tff most of its most active contributors are now older with all the stuff that real life throws at you. The less often you visit the less you can get involved in any meaningful sense.

The only thing I can think of that may help is some sort link up with authors or publishers and the like whose own blogs/forums are probably suffering too. If tff were a source of advance previews, author interactions, special offers or similar perhaps all like minded people could be pulled towards one place. How realistic or possible that is when visitor volumes are so low is another issue ~ it's all a bit of a chicken or egg dilemma.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Emerlas

Emerlas Emerz

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    I agree with how overpowered by spam this site is.
    I can deal with some, but when it becomes the main active topics,
    it just makes the site less appealing than it could be, creating the impression that not much is going on here but spam. It needs rich and engaging topics to be the first topics people see, maybe something like stories, quizzes, history, lore, rpg, anything really that could spark the interest of a newcomer, and make them want to stay and keep up with the site.
    I think this forum has the potential to be great again
    :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    Maybe put in like a quarterly story contest, though I realize the last short story contest kinda flopped, but if there is something that happens a bit more regularly, maybe it might bring in some interest for newer members, and quite possibly bring some older members back should they happen to drop in and whatnot. just a thought I had while reading the last few posts.

18. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, guys. I have only recently joined this forum, and i did it mostly because i wanted to promote my book(for some reason i feel guilty about it, even though i know i shouldn't. I mean, i'm just only chasing my dream:p).

Anyway, here's my advice: The administrators should ask all self published authors that want to promote, or have already tried to promote, their books through this forum, to post the entire book here!
    That way, the members(viewers) will read their books and if they enjoyed them they might buy it.

That's a plus for the authors, but not just for them. The members will have, almost every time they log in, a new book to read. And they can leave their honest opinions(reviews) to the comments.

In the end, when the forum has gathered enough "free" books, we can put in a contest where every member will give a rating to each book and choose their favorite. And to entice even more authors we could put the one with the best ratings, or the top three in the home page.

I'm willing to post my book here, by the way. I hope this helps! :)

19. TheRolePlayer

TheRolePlayer New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That makes no sense though, and I'm not trying to shoot you down just as you begin to fly, but if the book is posted on the forum, there will be several problems.
    1. Most likely, people wouldn't take the time to read it.
    Forums aren't difficult to read, but unless they are a hardcore gamer, they probably won't want to sit still for a couple of hours and read a book they may/may not like.
    2. Once they read the book they probably wont buy it.
    I realise that you may be going off a trust/generosity basis, but 80-90% of the time, people will simply read the whole thing on the forum, then if they liked it, just copy-paste it to a Word or Notepad document and print it off if they want it.
    3. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat (sorry).
    Sorry but, I write stories in my free time, it's what I love doing and is pretty much the only thing I still like doing after I started dealing with my depression, so I understand just as much as many authors would, if the author writes it out on paper, not on a computer, then they are NOT (most likely) going to spend their time typing it all out again.

However, the idea isn't a horrific one, with a few minor tweaks it could be good.
    For instance:
    1. The authors shouldn't post the whole story, just post a teaser (like a trailer for a film)
    2. Make it so that in one section, if the person buys the book, the author will print it out in a book and post it to them, whereas in other sections, the authors will simply email them the book.
    3. Encourage the authors to advertise elsewhere. This is a fantasy forum, generally focused on roleplay and other things, it does have a medium-sized book related area, but this really isn't the kind of site where you want people advertising for nothing. Instead, encourage them to advertise on some other site, but still allow them to advertise here if they wish.

20. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Fairly Idea to promote books on forum seems way off for me, Forum is where society connects and discuss - if we make it like a mayor commercial it will go down the drain.
    I think you are wrong - people buy products they enjoy - if I liked the book posted on forum (even thou I have read it) I would still buy it, same goes for games etc.

Authors would be nice part of society - because of they talent to liven up random spam thread and RPs..but to dedicate forum to them..not so sure.