Since we're living in interesting times...

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    A thing that many foreigners probably don't know is that now with the economic crisis a lot of people and even the media themselves(who usually don't refer to religious matters)have started reading prophecies from Elders like Father Paisios and others because things that these Elders had said many years ago(some even 20 years before)are coming true.Many Elders had talked about the economicr crisis in Greece before even anyone dreamt or guessed that we would have financial troubles!!!

So anyway,the economic crisis in Greece,Russia having an interest in Greece and Bulgaria because of the Burgas-Alexandroupoli gas pipe that is supposed to be built,Syria in civil war,North Korea threatening USA with nukes....I thought it might be interesting at least to some of you,to post you some things prophecized by an Elder from Mount Athos who died in 2009.The things that he had prophecized from what I know and heard of were as early as 2000-2001 or about some things probably even earlier.

Now I am kindly and warmly asking you IF YOU HAVE NOTHING BUT FLAMING OR MOCKERY,DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT post please,just move along.

The things written here are a translation of the things the Elder tells to some faithful women in a sound file.The translation might have some typos or grammar mistakes,but you can generally understand what it says.

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?noframes;read=255194

2. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I do not flame or mock, but I believe that "thinking" that prophecies are true is the same as thinking that horoscopes exist, just a childish way to make your self feel better.

There is no way that he can predict future, he just wrote some random stuff, that can be interpreted easyly same as horoscopes - there is no way that the "stars" have anything to do with your future.

3. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I have to say that what you are saying is a bit naive.First of all there's a big difference between horoscopes and having a gift by God to see some things that will happen in the future.Normally this happens to saints or Elders or very faithful individuals who are humble and God-fearing,God-loving also.Generally saint and very faithful.Of course only God decides what to reveal and to who.A great deal of things about not just the future of ...the world generally but the future of people's lives,as in personal things have been foretold many many times not just by Elder Paisios who is a modern saint of our times,but by many other saints and elders of,yes the Orthodox Church.
    I have not studied Catholic or Protestant prophecies much,but some years ago I read various of them and...well they didn't seem clear enough,they seemed very vague and some well didn't even find fullfilment(assuming the rest were about a time that has not yet come).

4. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Naive?
    for me - believing in God, is the same as believing in Godzilla.

it simply is not true.

And gift of God? Please, at least - make an argument about prophecies; you can not explain things by just saying a God`s will etc. That is not an explanation even by Churches standarts.

But Gods gift... I guess you are right, this is a fantasy forum after all....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    The Greek Orthodox Church is an asylum for the insane.

Dude, you need to get a life, get a job, and get a girlfriend.

6. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Well I think that that kind of prophecy is kind of easy to announce or say. Simply because most if not many countries go through economical crises. It's normal. And especially when they handled stuff the way greece did from what I've heard. And this aint flaming either, just my honest opinion.

7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I think you've went too far with this flame post... where are the mods?.. Emelie should be suspended for this post and given some time to think about what it means to be a respectful member of our forum.;)

8. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Oh Sparrow, you great old fool. I just wanna smack you right now... on the lips that is :*

9. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    That's enough of that young lady... okay, you're not suspended.
    A kiss will get you anything!

10. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Oh if you only were a mod, then I'd know how to get my way with anything :D

11. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Do you know how to read?DO YOU KNOW...HOW...TO READ?Did you read my first post?If you did then WTH ARE YOU DOING HERE Sparrow?

12. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Foin for real, how many times do I have to say this - YOU CAN NOT make a thread where only some people you like can post, if you open a thread you should be READY and ABLE to accept all kinds of opinions, not just the ones you like.

Just so you know :

Conversation or debate concerning a particular topic.
    /wikipedia/

You cannot say that all those who disagree are trolls and flamers, they simply think different.

So, if you dont want to have a DISCUSSION stop making PROVCATIVE posts, when you know that there are MANY atheists here.

13. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Or at least just not a debate thread, there is nothing to debate. Faith isn't something that is possible to argue for or against, it just kind of is. Also there is the discrepancy between what you accept as reality and what somebody else might, in this instance so one man's evidence is bogus for another making it impossible for anybody to prove anything to each other.

Like I for example don't believe in prophecies and think that they have negative effects on the willpower and motivation of people. The only argument against what I think is that prophecies are holy and must be real but again that falls into the category of faith where nothing can be proven or dis-proven making it a waste of time to debate.

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Psit,Anonymous,did you actually SEE the trolling comment Sparrow once more spat out?Seriously man,if someone only has mockery and flaming stuff to say like that,he shouldn't post at all,it's rude and annoying.

15. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    honestly, I did not see a troll or a flame comment there, just an honest opinion.

16. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Oh gee so you like Sparrow's comment?

Seriously man,I'm done with this,this is the kind of stuff that made some other ppl I know leave the forum.You gently ask from some people,even a donkey like Sparrow to not flame or mock in the usual repulsive trolling way they always do,thinking that maybe they are a bit smart or have some honor not to do it and they go screw a thread up.

No,I'm done,if bastards like this Sparrow are allowed to roam freely and **** up everything in a forum when from the beginning they state they've been banned from many forums and they don't care if their behavior is bad..........well then good luck,have him and similar people as your pride to be proud of and so long.

17. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    dude you your self have made several people I know to leave this forum in your inadequate aggression, I`m not saying I like Sparrows comment; I just say it`s a discussion ,and if you make a discussion thread you have to be ready to receive all kinds of opinions even ones you disagree and dont like - because you ASKED for their opinion, if you wanted a certain persons opinion you could have pmed him/her, not make a thread.

And you are overreacting. I will not be his lawyer and defend him, but please -bad behavior - just because he dislike churches, and has different views? Hell no. He may be an aggressive in his views but you have to be ready to get some "hate" too, so just relax; and discuss ; not cry about what someone said.

And why do you care so much what he says if it`s trolling anyways?

(And, if you dont like someone - there is ignore list for that :p )

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    You know I've honestly little to add to what Anon just posted.

People need to understand that debates is here to debate; you will get viewpoints that do not agree with your own, you will have opinions that clash with your personal viewpoints and opinions in the world. Good debate encourages this and indeed asks people to not just state but elaborate their viewpoint; not to jump down their throat for disagreeing (this goes for all sides).

As for prediction and the topic there are many who have predicted the future with sometimes great accuracy; some claim its the word of God, some claim they are god others simply state it as fact that they have determined. In the end there are several things to remember

1) Humans have not changed, study the past and you can often predict the future provided that you have a good grasp of current technological and political affairs. Simple dedication can allow one to guess where the future will go.

2) MANY more people predict the future wrongly - some of them are famous and some are not. The famous ones who predict the future is wrong (that Pastor from America who stated that the world was to end Last year for example) are simply forgotten about.

3) Getting it right is as much an element of chance or luck as it is educated deduction.

As for God, my personal view is that if God is there then he's not controlling life in the direct hands on (and human focused) way many wish it to be. He made life - built it all up and then wound up the parts and let them run. Barring a very tiny number of adjustments or interruptions God mostly stepped back and left life to get on with being life. Expecting or thinking that God is or can control your life is a viewpoint that I feel is more harping back to peoples desire to be controlled or at least to live their life with direction whilst not having the self willpower (or mind set) to set in place that structure themselves (just look at how similar many religious setups are to strict school enviroments).

19. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    There are many prophecies that have come true, many that have not, but in regards to this specific prophecy I can't imagine a world power like Russia actually occupying a regional power and American ally like Turkey. Russia can get as cocky as it wants but it knows that it will not end well for them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Alright then, at the risk of totally wasting my time I'm going to strike a serious note here. These are the lyrics to Die With Your Boots On, by Iron Maiden...

Another Prophet of Disaster
    Who says the ship is lost,
    Another Prophet of Disaster
    Leaving you to count the cost.
    Taunting us with Visions,
    Afflicting us with fear,
    Predicting War for millions,
    In the hope that one appears.

No point asking when it is,
    No point asking who's to go,
    No point asking what's the game,
    No point asking who's to blame.
    Cause if you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,
    Cause if you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on.
    If you're gonna try, well stick around,
    Gonna cry, just move along,
    If you're gonna die, you're gonna die.

In thirteen the Beast is rising,
    The Frenchman did surmise,
    Through earthquakes and starvation,
    The warlord will arise.
    Terror, Death, Destruction,
    Pour from the Eastern Sands,
    But the truth of all predictions,
    Is always in your hands.

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on,
    If you're gonna try, just stick around,
    Gonna cry, just move along,
    If you're gonna die, you're gonna die.

The real bit of wisdom in the song comes near the end, "But the truth of all predictions, Is always in your hands". There's a certain fatalism to it, don't you think? Foinikas, your Elders know no more about what the future holds than you or I do. They do however understand the tripwires to pull that play with our fears.

Aside from that... on a personal level I don't dislike you, really I don't. I actually think it's a bit tragic that you're wasting your life with this stuff. But that's just my opinion. That said, when you start a topic that's guaranteed to stir up some heated debate, don't be so surprised when it does. Most people on this forum don't agree with your views on religion, or homosexuality, or putting stock in what your "elders" have to say about the future. I mean you must already know this going into a topic like this, right?

Search tags for this page

archimandrite jonah miroshnichenko