Similarity to real world events

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to start about politics and war (afterall this is Star Wars) There are some interesting lines in episode III and one of them I held above my signature. Episode III parallels with the events in the current Bush administration. For instance, Padmé's line, "This is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause," is a reference to President George W. Bush's push for the enforcement of the 2002 Patriot Act. Later in the film, Anakin's line, "If you're not with me, then you are my enemy!" is a direct paraphrase spoken by Bush, "If you're not with us, then you're with the terrorists!" Although Lucas didn't deny with such similarities, he denied writing that intention saying "The framework was written during the Vietnam War and the Nixon administration -Iraq doesn't exist at that time. But the story still has relevance today, he said, and is part of a pattern he has noticed in his readings of history."

2. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Off topic: When we're speaking of politics and satire... Have anybody here read George Orwell's "Nineteen eighty-four"?

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    That is off topic. Please stay on topic.

I wouldn't go reading too much from Star Wars into modern day events, specifically ie George W Bush and Iraq and 9/11 etc. However I would say that people are people, war is war, politics is politics, and those lines could work just as well from the Roman Empire and before then, to waaay past the year 2007.

Humanity is very slow to change. Look at the senate intrigue and backstabbing from Roman times as an example. There may be less dagger sinvolved, but it's naive to think that modern day politics isn't still about "you scratch my back, I scratch yours." And people getting "knifed".

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    well critics compared it, that is part of my source, it wasn' t me actually, and lot's of people know that especially the line "If you're not with me, then you're me enemy" refers to Bush...Some even said here on TFF itself when I had that quote above my banner that I was referring to Bush rather than to Anakin.

Anyway Star Wars is of course not just indeed based on present events. Lot's of it is based on the vietnam war, but if you look at the outer look, the basic idea. You've got the fall of the republic, the rise of the empire and though you don't see it happening in the movies you know that a new republic will come after the empire has fallen....just like The Roman Empire.

5. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    More topic this time: In 1984, Orwell writes that the war is just a necessary illusion...
    Will that not be the same for the clone wars?
    I mean, the emperor was head of both the fighting forces!
    Or??

(OK, perhaps not "real events", but I was thinking... perhaps I should stop doing that??:p)

6. Blood Battosai

Blood Battosai Death Become of you

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I heard Star Wars was supposed to be like WWII with the emperor as Hitler and the sepratists at his allies and the republic as us and our allies but the emperor at the head of the republic shows how much influance that Hitler had over our country andits allies

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    also true, palpatine is based on hitler as he too was a guy who became a chancellor and then fuhrer..or Emperor for that matter

8. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Much can be learned from studying history, ashame that politicians in both the real world and Star Wars either dont know history, or learn nothing by it for the same terrors are reinvented every couple generations. Thus, of course parallels can be drawn from Episode III and Bush for it is the same rhetoric that eons of self proclaimed righteous political groups have used.

9. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yes but the Bush similarity is deliberate point by Lucas, that's the difference. History does often repeat itself, even the Star Wars Saga explains that, but you have to think of the purpose of the writer aka George Lucas, and what he was trying to directly reflect.

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Me and Padmé were just talking were just talking about Naboo, seems it is obviously based on Cuba... Bet a lot of people don't like to hear about that, cause what happened to Cuba... concerning the trade-boycotting that is, cause let's face it, same happened to Naboo... The Trade Federation boycots the planet so that nothing gets out and nothing gets in.

11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    you got any more similarities aside from a trade boycott?
    only it seems rather flimsy to say that naboo is cuba based on that line of evidence - not enough evidence

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well seeing how many star wars events are based on communism... Like vietnam etc... I don't see why this wouldn't be enough evidence...

13. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    and if you look into history, I am sure you will find other examples besides Cuba.

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    NAFTA... the oil blockade? But to me Cuba seems more likely cause as I said lots of things are based on communism, and the two above are not related to that...

15. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Russia during the cold war represented this situation also. Maybe not blockades per say, but certainly they experienced isolation. The former Warsaw Pact nations were indeed "cut off" from the Nato alliances. Furthermore, their were leaders within that came closer to emulating Palpatine's rise to power and eye on global domination. I dont think Castro ever sought this.

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0