Silmarillion co. vs Drizzt co.

Discussion in 'Debates' started by KingLuffa, Jul 30, 2009.

1. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I know people think Drizzts group (drizzt, bruenor, cattie-brie, wulfgar, regis, guen, etc) could tear apart the fellowship. But how do you think they would fare against the peeps in the Silmarillion such as Fingolfin, Feanor, Hurin, Turin, Gil-Galad, Beren, Glorfindel, etc. Curious to see what you think.

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Harkle Harpell can exchange his brain with his bum! HOW WILL FEANOR AND CO DEAL WITH THAT? HUH? HUH?

That's right I responded with the appropriate level of ridiculousness as befits this question.

Really? You really want to ask this question? The universe rules by which the persons in question are bound are quite different. This is hardly fair.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad to know that there's nice people on this forum...

It was just a question... It's something that I've been curious about...you don't have to be immature

4. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I really do think that Met has a good point. I don't see how people can compare characters from different books at all.

(Though I think Tolkien kicks Salvatore's backside, just so that's been said.)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  5. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I understand that but I've seen Lotr be compared to Drizzt and it was no big deal...But thanks for answering seriously.

6. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    That's alright. ^^ I've purposely stayed away from the Drizzt/Legolas and Drizzt/Aragorn threads, as I thought they were very silly. xD

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Because when I see something like this:

I'm not particularly inclined to believe the arguement will be fruitful.

8. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    That really has nothing to due with this thread. I was asking for an opinion not for an argument.

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Obviously you don't want to read those ideas from the look of things. You have your opinion and won't look back on others and make this thread constructive in any manner.

Threads like this thrive on discussion, coming in and going "I prefer so and so" and then stopping doesn't really give any quality to the thread, but then again to each their own.

10. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You're a persistent fella aren't you :)

11. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    6 years of being at the forum and watching it deteriorate due to only activity from morons in the spam section tends to make one want to get the most out of the fantasy parts forum that actually appear.

12. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    6 years....wow

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yep, but it's more like only the last 3 the forum has declined. Anyway, enough about that.

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    This isn't some DC crossover. :/ You can't exactly compare a character from Forgotten Realms - a world rich in magic and "impossible" feats - to LotR. Seriously.

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Nothing impossible about switching your brain with your bum to defeat Illithids!

16. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You obviously didn't read my previous post...

you can compare a character from FR to one from lotr...it's been done several times (Aragorn vs drizzt, drizzt vs legolas etc.) Seeing as how each one has had drizzt outvoting the other I thought it would be more fair to compare some of Tolkiens more powerful characters from the silmarillion agaist drizzt. It didn't really seem like an issue with the other threads, but then again I guess that's how you treat new members.

17. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, I do not understand the "vs."-question. I think Drizzt would fine work with Finrod Felagund. Lolth would make a good co-op with Melkor. Everyone will have his opposite in the other story, so the "vs." makes no sense to me, rather a compliance with each other.

18. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Whatever you do, the two don't compare/mix.

19. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I can see your point and the points all others stated here in this thread....but originally it was asked for a point of view. So as people are different, aspects and opinions can surely differ from each other as well. Otherwise, questions for opinions could be spared. But imagine... wouldn't it be boring when everybody has the same ideas, the same mind like a herd of sheep? It is interesting to see the diversity in thinking, of things possible to others, or possible for myself. A discussion always should be in a friendly way, tolerating each others opinion, even if you do not share. You must not! That again, would be very boring, wouldn't it? But you can accept, so yours will be accepted too because as you do to others they will fare with you (with right).
    I was only slightly upset reading the thread from the beginning and stating that the "vs" was not "Silmarillion and Drizzt" but "different members of the forum" against one whose mind differs from the others.

Mine differs as well, so he wouldn't be alone any longer. I think that a special way of comparison is meant. Not the way how magic works, not the way how serious the actions or the story his, neither how good the author or originator of the story is. I really know that magic of Tolkien's Noldorian elves cannot be compared with the magic woven by Drows. Other effects, other sense! I agree, but when I reduce the comparison just to the different characters.

Coming back again to the comparison between Finrod and Drizzt. What do they have as "characters" (means attributes to me) in common: They both are other than the rest of their folks (the most evident one, pls. correct me, if I should be wrong). They try to understand and live with the beings others of their folks call "foes" or look upon condescendingly. So Finrod was the first to get in contact with humans (although other elves were not very fond of humans) and Drizzt was the first feeling for the dwellers on the surface. Both rest of their folks weren't very fond and pleased of their actions. They even tried to counteract to eliminate those rebels of their own.
    There are a still a lot more that can be compared with, I think. Those are positive characters but it can also be done with Melkor and Lolth, two negative ones.