Siblings of Time

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by BlackScorpion, Jun 17, 2007.

1. BlackScorpion

BlackScorpion Eternal Idiot

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I had posted the first little piece somewhere else on this forum, but I decided to post the whole thing (which I have so far) here in the hope someone will have some good comments on it. I am not planning on working it out completely at this moment though, I have some other stories still going on as well. So it means you could consider these two parts more or less as the first chapters of many. This might leave you with many questions, but well. Either way, a little explanation about this story perhaps.

It is not my usual writing style and may come over as rather odd. I have written the whole story in the words of the main character. That means his thoughts and words, but no descriptions. It is as I already mentioned a very odd style of writing, but I thought to give it a try as it is new. Anyhow, I hope you'll like the main idea behind it all and *shrugs* go wild with comments (preferably some positive critisisms as well haha).

I will post both parts I have written so far.
    So I'm sorry about the length of it all =^-^=

Greetz,
    Blacky

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. BlackScorpion

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever wondered about time?
    How it can seem long to one person and short to another?
    How would mere minutes seem to a small fruit fly,
    who's lifespan counts barely a few couple of hours?
    Minutes which seem so small to for example a tortoise.

Time is so relative.. .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seconds pass by, the blood in my veins.. it is as if it rushes straight through my ears.. I hear nothing else anymore. Is this what being dead is like? Pain and.. rushes? No.. wait.. there is another sound.. it is as if someone is.. yelling? I can't understand what the words are.. why is someone yelling? Darkness.. there is darkness around me again.. it feels.. it feels so cold.. .

"Is he going to get through it?" "I don't know.. all we can do is pray.. where did you say you found him?" "Out in the back alley around the corner of Carverry's.. they must have thought he was dead.. or at least near it." "I see.. well I believe it is better we let him rest now, you go ahead and get outside, you have been here far too long already. The sun is shining, go out and enjoy yourself a bit." "You'll warn me?" "Of course, now go on, you don't belong in here."

It feels weird.. I came back out of this darkness.. but there is no light. You could think that if darkness leaves there should be light.. but there isn't.. is this normal? Shouldn't there be.. angels or devils at least? You always hear these stories.. but when it hits you in the face.. you are never prepared.. and yet I can not but wonder.. I hear these voices.. but they are so far. Do I need to.. go somewhere? The cold stopped, but it is far from warm still.. what is happening? This isn't what I expected.. .

"Is there any progress?" "I fear not.. there is no progress.. but fear not for he hasn't gone back either.. if that is good news or not.. I can not say." "I.." "Don't be afraid.. if he wanted to die, he would have gone a long time already." "Perhaps.. but what if he wants to die and we struggle to keep him alive? What if we are just holding him from the one thing he wants?" "Child, what are you talking about? Have you been talking to that dark friend of yours again?" "I'm sorry father, but.. why then hasn't he woken up already?" "I don't know my child.. I don't know.. ."

Voices.. always voices but so distant.. so far away. I don't know what I want.. to know what they are? Where they come from? But what if.. what if they belong to things you don't want to know? What if.. no.. nothing can be worse than the life I have had.. I.. I guess I want to know what the voices are.. what they are saying.. but how?

"Dad?" "Nothing yet.. go back to sleep my child.. I'll watch over him."

I.. I think I heard a word.. but I am not sure.. it was so vague.. it's as if someone is talking to me, but so far away I can not truly understand.. do the voices know I am trying to get to them? Can they.. understand? It is strange.. but for the first time in my life.. it is as if I am.. interested in something.. interested in these voices. I want to know what they are.. but.. everything is so vague and distant.. where am I? So.. cold again.. and pain.. .

+++++++

Life.. it is strange to be alive again.. I never thought it could feel this way. Not that my life suddenly improved by having been as good as dead.. but it certainly gives you another perspective on this whole life-thing. Either way I dare believe these people mean well, after all they could have let me lay there in that alley.

"Sir?"

That is the girl who found me.. it was most probably also her who let out the yell when she found me. Her father keeps telling me how she had insisted on letting me stay in the house instead of in the barn where they would normally have put me. I don't believe him though.. he seems too.. soft to put a hurt man in a barn.

"Sir?"

I better answer.. she gets distressed rather easily.

"Yes, do come in." "Sir, I brought you some lunch. I hope you like orange marmalade and ham? I tried to find some better things, but the bakery is currently out of stocks."

So gentle and afraid she might do something wrong.. so unlike me. If I didn't know any better, I would think her to be at least ten years younger than me. Her mother died five years ago and ever since she took upon her all the household jobs. She is an excellent cook, but never believes anyone who claims her cooking is amazing.

"Yes thank you Miss, you may put it here on the table."

Her father told me she sat by me most of the time. He even had to force her to get some sleep. She is so caring and gentle and even though she sat by me this long, she still doesn't dare to talk to me. Except of course the general greetings and short sentences about the weather and such.. .

"Miss?" "Yes?" "Thank you."

It is unbelievable though.. look at her walking out of the room. The blush is barely visible on her face and yet you can see she has great difficulties with compliments. I like giving her compliments.. if not to make her feel good about herself, then to see the look on her face.. . Her father often comes to me in the evenings, when she has gone to bed. He likes talking and listening to the stories I have to tell about countries far away. He then tells me about her mother.. it is obvious he still loves her. The man is a misery in soul.. he misses his wife and cares too much about his daughter. Every time she goes out to town for groceries or some other errand, he fears something might happen to her. Even though he doesn't show it.. he is a wreck at the inside.. .

I better get some sleep now.. my body still is far from in good state. I must say they took good care of me though.. both my legs were broken at several places as well as most of my ribs. These kind people keep wondering what happened to me.. what I have done to get someone this angry at me.. . I can not tell them.. they would be shocked to know they gave harbor to one like me. I need to sleep now.. .

"Sir?" "I think he sleeps again my child, it is better you let him be." "But.. he hasn't eaten anything yet." "His body is hurt badly, it might not be ready to take in great amounts of food yet." "I don't understand.. a body which needs healing.. it needs energy too, no?" "Indeed my child, but let him rest, he will probably finish it when he wakes up again."

Darkness.. sleeping means darkness and even though I need to sleep.. darkness seems to haunt me. I have never been afraid of the night and now.. it seems as if the night means death to me. Darkness.. it repels me so hard.. I always keep talking to the old man, hoping he would not leave me.. .

+++++++

"Sir?" "Yes Miss, please enter." "I see you finally ate your lunch Sir, was it not good?" "On the contrary, but I fear I fell asleep before I could even touch the ham." "Do you need something else Sir? Something to drink or perhaps something else to eat? I can always go out to town and.." "No thank you. It is very kind of you, but I am well enough in your care."

She blushes again. It is hardly visible, but I have seen her so many times now that I am far from an untrained eye. You give her a compliment and almost at the same moment she looks down at the ground, a strand of hair falling over her face to hide the faint red shimmer which graces her cheeks.

"Sir?" "Yes, I am sorry I was momentarily in thoughts." "Oh.. I am sorry I have disturbed you." "No no, it is truly not a problem. But you wanted to say something?" "Sir, I wanted to know if there was anything else you would be needing." "No Miss, you may proceed."

Look.. she even bows lightly before leaving. She has been educated well.. a perfect lady.. a perfect host, just unbelievable. Her father told me she looks just like her mother when she was young. It reminds him of her every single moment, a blessing and a curse at the same time.. . Soon my body will be fit enough to sit up a while longer and then she promised to take me outside. Her father has even built a special chair for me with wheels at the bottom, so I can go outside without having to use my legs. It disturbs me greatly that I am such a burden on them.. .

+++++++

Sleep does disturb me. A couple of hours ago, after the old man had left to get some sleep himself, I fell in a rather restless sleep and I felt as if reviving the assault on me. I woke up in sweat, shivering and looking around wildly. It took me several moments before realizing where I was and relaxing. I’m glad the girl wasn’t here to witness it; it would only make her worry. If only I could do something back for these people, I feel so useless, a real burden upon the shoulders of these kind people. I just hope they never find out what they help, what kind of being... .

+++++++

“Sir?”

Is it day already? I can not remember falling asleep again, I’m glad I at least seem to have slept more peaceful. I hope she didn’t hear me twisting and turning, I believe her room lies next to this one.

“Sir?” “Yes Miss, do come in.” “Sir would you like your breakfast now?” “If you would be so kind Miss, thank you.”

She leaves again in the same manner as she always does; she looks so innocent, so young and so vulnerable. And always when she looks at me she has such a concerned look upon her face, too concerned for a lady like her. She shouldn’t be worrying and certainly not about such a being like me.

“I hope you like it Sir, it’s a double pair of sandwiches, one pair with cream cheese and another pair with chocolate paste. If you do not like it Sir, I can go and find something else, no problem.”

Always afraid she might do something wrong, I feel so guilty.

“No Miss, thank you it is perfect. But why not join me? I believe your father has left to the market, has he not? You should not be having breakfast alone.”

A deep red caresses her cheeks and momentarily she is lost for words. I hope I have not gone too far, the girl seems so vulnerable, so unused to things, but I just can not stop myself from feeling guilty for the burden I present to them. I just wish to find some way to make her live a bit more joyful, if having breakfast with a hurt man even is in any way joyful. But I can only try.

“Sir?” “I do fear four sandwiches will be too many for me, why not take one or two for yourself?” “But Sir, you have to eat well if you want to heal. Your body needs the nutrition.”

And always so hard to convince.

“My body is healing very well, thanks to your care, one or two sandwiches won’t make the difference. Just stay for a moment, you always seem so busy.” “S-Sir…” “I insist, please?”

Finally she gives a small nod and goes to sit in the chair where her father sits in the evenings. Taking one sandwich with cream cheese, she starts to eat it slowly, her eyes cast to the ground. It is almost adorable, I hardly dare to admit so, but every time I see her, every time she enters the room, my heart seems to skip a beat. I fear I might have feelings for her, but I do not want to, I do not want to hurt her... .

“Sir? I shall be going now, I need to do some housework before my father returns. If you have finished you can leave the plate there, I shall come to collect it soon.” “Yes, thank you Miss, thank you very much.”

Another red glow slides over her face, which she quickly hides by turning and letting her hair fall before her face. It is funny though, her father told me how worried she was, how she kept talking to me while I was unconscious. And now it seems as if she is too shy or too prudent to even look at me. I really have to keep my heart away from her, I really don’t want to hurt her, for once I am fully healed I shall have to leave them, for their own safety.... .

3. BlackScorpion

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My body is healing well I think, except for my legs. Nevertheless I keep having the same old nightmares. The old man knows about them, he once was here when I woke up, sweating and panting. He had come to check up on me and asked what was wrong. I told him than when I dream, it’s about the assault. I keep hidden the fact I deserved the assault, I keep my whole past hidden from those people who rescued me. I know I should not even be here, but my body is not yet good enough to leave, or is it my heart? I keep wondering when the day comes my body is healed, if my heart could leave the girl. I’m scared for it... .

“Sir. I know I have promised my daughter not to tell her about your nightmares, but I fear she noticed herself too. This afternoon she told me she had to get up in the night to get some water and she heard you. She even came in the room, but could not wake you. She told me she was scared, but didn’t dare to do anything. I haven’t told her I witnessed it as well, but she is worried. Everybody has nightmares, but yours seem so hard, so living.. .”

I know... I know I scare them, my nightmares scare them. But what can I do? I don’t know it myself. I wish for them to stop, but they will not. I keep thinking I deserve them for what I am... how to explain?

“I am sorry M’Lord, I wish I could do something about those dreams myself, they make me tired. I am sorry, I do hope not to disturb you again. From the moment I can walk again, I shall leave so as not to burden you any longer.”

I am serious, yet the old man merely chuckles and shakes his head.

“No no Sir, it is quiet alright. You do not have to leave in a long while, for I believe that in some odd way, you make my daughter happy. When we talk about you, I see her smile and I can tell you it has been a long time since I last saw her smile. No Sir, you do not have to leave, it is just that we are worried.”

I make her happy?

“Thank you Mister.” “I shall leave you for now, you still need your rest Sir.” “Thank you once again Mister.”

I make her happy?

+++++++

“Sir?”

I must have fallen asleep while pondering... I make her happy?

“Sir?” “Oh I am sorry, I was gone in thought.” “My apologies Sir, I just wished to know whether or not you would like pancakes as breakfast. My father could make a good deal on the market this morning.” “Thank you yes.”

I make her happy? I have to leave this house as quickly as possible, she can not get the same feelings as I have for her, she certainly should not fall for me. Why won’t my body heal faster?! Damn my legs! I could handle my own feelings, hurting myself by leaving wouldn’t be worse than the rest of my life. But now it would mean hurting her feelings as well?!

“Sir? Be careful, they are still hot and the butter on top is very runny.” “I shall be careful Miss, thank you. Miss?” “Yes Sir, is anything wrong?” “No thank you Miss, but I was curious how far the work stood with the rolling chair.” “I believe my father only has a couple of days work on it Sir, we shall warn you when it is ready.” “Thank you very much Miss.”

I don’t want to seem too eager or ungrateful, but I can not stay here any longer. The faster I can go away from this house, the better it is for the man and his daughter. If possible I shall find money and send it over to them to thank them for their help. But it is better if they do not have any other contact with me. I have to heal as fast as possible. But why do the bones in my legs hurt so much?!

+++++++

The rolling chair is ready. The man is a craftsman, you can see it by the details on the chair. It is very basic and yet it seems he has thought about everything. I have to be helped in the chair and my arms aren’t strong enough yet for me to push myself, that is something I’m disappointed about. But then again, I can go out again. Yesterday the girl helped me in the chair and took me out in their garden. The weeds are trying to get the upper hand as the girl is spending too much time on me, but she can just keep them under control. The more I come to know about this family, the more guilty I feel about bugging them with my presence.

I’m getting worried as well about my body. It doesn’t heal as fast anymore as it should and the most odd thing about it all is that it seems as if the bones in my legs hurt. This is ridiculous, I know, but it feels as if it is not the flesh, not the muscles or nerves which hurt, but the bones. Neither the man nor the girl are doctors, so they don’t understand either, but I refuse for them to get a doctor. I don’t want anyone to know I am here.

“Sir? It is time for your dinner.” “Please, do come in Miss.”

Of course, the bones are physical, but the pain I feel when I see how devoted this girl is and how much I could hurt her by just being here, is even worse.

“I hope you like it Sir, some hunters from the area brought us one of their rabbits for free, but I wasn’t sure on how to cook it. I eh.. I used a little bit of red wine and some herbs from the garden, but I’m not sure it’s okay.” “It definitely smells nice, thank you very much Miss.”

It still is hard to make her stay and join me for dinner and also today she prefers to go clean some more or do something else in the household. Of course I don’t want to keep her from her duties, but there is something inside me which wants to be in her presence as much as possible. I must get out of here as fast as I can!

“Sir?” “I’m sorry, I was sunken in thoughts, my apologies.” “You are often in thoughts, aren’t you Sir? Are you remembering something perhaps?” “No, I’m afraid not Miss.” “Oh.. anyhow Sir, if you have finished, just leave it on the bedside table. I’ll come to collect it in an hour.” “Thank you Miss.”

I remember too much.. that is just the problem, but I can not tell them. I’m going to try to get away as soon as possible, I don’t know how, but I have to get away, for their good. If only I didn’t feel so weak! I wish I could stay, I wish I wasn’t who I was, but I am and therefore, the first moment I can get away, I have to do so!

+++++++

“Sir?” “Yes Miss, please come in.”

Always so polite, it is getting on my nerves because I already feel guilty for having to go without an explanation. If I didn’t hate myself already, I would surely do so now.

“Sir, you seem worried, is something on your mind?” “No Miss, I was just wondering when I would be able to walk again.” “Soon Sir, but do not strain yourself.” “Of course Miss, I won’t.”

It was the truth, even though I kept the true reason of course hidden for her. She leaves again, once more in thought and wonder. If only these people weren’t so kind to me, it would make the whole situation a lot easier. I have to focus, I can not let myself get carried away with things. My presence here forms a danger to these two people and for their sake, as well as my own, I have to leave as soon as I can. This rolling chair might provide some help. I can not wait for my legs to carry me, so perhaps the chair can carry me at least out of harms way. At this moment I can not do so as yet, I have to get enough strength in my arms first. She is still here, looking at me expectantly. Did I miss a question while in thoughts?

“I am sorry Miss, I believe I am not paying attention. Did you ask something?” “No Sir, I was just… no Sir.”

Incomprehensible, why does she look at me in this way. As if waiting for me to say or ask something, but what? No, I should not think like this. I can not anticipate on her wishes or whatever it is she has.

“Miss… what is on your mind?” “N-nothing Sir, I- perhaps I better go back to work now. I haven’t cleaned the vegetables yet for tomorrow. Sorry for disturbing you Sir.”

And there she goes again. If only I had my powers still, I could force my legs to walk or my arms to push that chair. I feel so damned weak and useless. Perhaps, I had better died in that alley…

+++++++

“Miss, where to leads that way?” “To the left the road leads directly to the village and to the right… I’m not sure. First there are the forests and then a bridge over the river. But I have never been further than that.” “Would your father know it?” “Sir, do you remember something perhaps?”

I am asking too much questions, I should not risk them getting curious. The girl is very curious and smart, I have to tread carefully. Perhaps I can ask her father one of the following evenings. Either way, I need to divert her attention.

“Miss… how long have I been here now?” “I… about three weeks now Sir.” “Three weeks and still I do not know you name.” “S-sir?”

There she goes again, blushing as I ask something about her. Other subjects are going easier than in the beginning already, she is getting a little less shy. But when it is about her or I ask her opinion about something, she fall completely back in her old habits. It is… no, I can not think like this!

“I- Sir, once I know your name, I shall tell you mine. You know this, why then keep trying to lure me into breaking my promise? Once you remember yours, you will know mine.”

I stay silent for a moment, she completely took me by surprise. She was blushing, but she replied and what a reply. I think she even spoke more in one go than ever before. Dumbstruck I sit here, trying to find something to reply. Of course I can not tell her my name, I have pretended memory loss for the past three weeks and so far am successful. They do believe I remember nothing at all, except for waking up in their house. But her answer… this is getting dangerous. She just proved to me she trusts me, I need to get away from her as soon as possible, before I bring her in even more danger.