Si-Fi Mutant RPG

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Lord_Croanan, May 15, 2007.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    well if this is a geneic ability he would have had to cope with it from birth, so he would have instictual control over the basics of selective control and such. the idea is that because of the need for control he spend much of childhood in isolation and hurt a lot of people accidentally which lead to his psychological issues and such, periods of his life would be in isolation in some kind of gravity field with special breathing equipment (to maintain a balance of the right gases in their elemental forms rather than their naturally bonded forms)

And he is vulnerable to direct energy, standard bullets though would be less effective, atomised the pressure would be reduced to non-harmful levels but it may cause some pain. however if he had the field down for some reason, one silenced shot might get in before he could raise it.

How about this, when he has the field up, breahting in elemental gases is less effective, he can stay alive with the field up but its not as good as normal, causing giddiness and shrtness of breath, although he can cause a lot of damage, he wouldnt be able to persue enemies for long without collapsing or lowering the field........thats a good vulnerability to me.

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yea sounds pretty good

3. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    plus throw in someone who can control electricty and he's got no chance, and this is the future, laser guns would get him too.

4. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, In a way, that is more or less the opposite of what I intend to have my character do.

His power would be energy disruptive, or more precisely, he generates and projects fields of subelectronic particles (antimatter particles). This would alow him to break on neural impulses within other living beings, without affecting the bodies, and create shields from energy emitions.

5. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    break neaural impulses? so cause brain death? thats nasty, though probably not as bad as total disintegration.

6. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It can be used thatway if you break the wholle neural pathway. But, one, if he knew exactly what he or she was doing can make a thrust so small, and so quick that it only places brain in temporary restative state.
    Or, for those who are not feeling geeky enough, the level of coma one can be put into by derupting his or her brainwaves varys from few seconds to the indefinite.

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Neural pathway disruption would mostly result in KO's really. Kinda how boxers get too many hits to the head and their brain shuts off.

As for the production of anti matter....how do you produce the opposite of something that exists (i.e. matter)?

8. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I'd say it would be more likely to kill, KO is more of a large impulse leading to reduced activity (overload if you will) rather than no activity at all. breaking neural impulses to me is death or paralysis, though I'm fine with a field that interferes with neural activity but doesnt stop it, slowing it down or distorting it causing periods of either unconsciousness or memory loss.

Though I dont know how it involves subelectronic particles or antimatter, just a simple but special EM field would do it, that'd let you play with normal circuitry too.

9. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    With all due respect Crus, how much do you know about aplied sobatomic physics and Neural medicine? I have the unfortunate luck to be a nephew of an excellent brain surgeon, and to have studied intermediate (or whatever you call finall grade of highschool) physics under a person who is actually a doctor of subatomic physics, so I can claim some remotely small knowledge. The point with the impulses - it wouldn't be as you say if you used EM for the simple reason that EM of high enough intensity to render someone brainded would have actually cooked the person's brain. Every EM affects the matter, since it is actually carried by matter (photons, ions, electrons gama, etc). Antimatter particles are particles with mass even smaller than electrons, and even more important, with hardly any to no potential electronic energy. That renders them completly harmless to atomic constructs. But, they can interact with other free particles, thus dispersing and disrupting energy. And, Met was absolutely right. What happens when someone is KOd is that for short time his sinapses stop carrying the impulses. That is actually what the energy interuption does. Stop the energy caryover. But, some part of the brain never stop working. If all of the brain was stopped, it would be instant death. Same is true with the primall reflexses like hearthbeat, gag, sneeze, etc...

10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Well i'm not sure about different educational systems but I did physics at AS (the second year before university) and psychology for two years before university (and the occasional module while at uni). So I know a thing or two about the phsycial structure of neurons and synapses and their relative effect on the human conscioussness and perception.

I said 'special' EM field to try and get round that problem, this is science fiction after all and you can rationalise it by saying the field is projected by an organic source so its made to work with organic nerves.

As for the KO thing, I'm just concerned that this 'field' youre using would have to involve the brain to knock someone out and the degree of complexity involved in shutting down only the right parts without shutting the whole thing down would be so precice and complex its stretching reality for me. I can see you numbing someones limbs but getting to the brain it just seems like it would take too much effort and precision. I'll trust you on the subatomic details though.

11. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Considering the information on antimatter as of current is very little I'm sure we can work on that to our own ends. Although it must be said that antimatter is annihilated the moment it comes in contact with "real" matter so I don't know how you will put it to use :S

12. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    As I understood it from the prof (It is very possible that I got it all wrong, though), What actually happens with the antimatter is that whe it comes to contact with true matter, it gets incorporated into it (the matter) and all it's kinetic energy starts converting itself into potential energy, untill it breaks free again during a nucleon fallout, or the drain and exposure to the nuclear field converts it to one of electronic barer particles. And, then there are such particles that are so completly devoid of ane electronic potential energy that Nuclear forces cannot grab them and thus they simply bounce from every other particle they encounter. But, that is too deep for something that is SF, so we don't actually have any need to go deep into the science to make it work.
    And Crus, let me try to explain what I mean with KOing. He does not, cannot put a barier that completly stops the neural impulses. What he does is bombard the impulse carrying particles in one's neural system so they pause in carrying the impulses. As soon as the bombardment stops, the methaphorical damn is opened, and all the gathered impulses continue on on their way all at once, and by that point, the person is already in shock so, the onslought overlods the synapses which results in KO. If he wold want to put someone in perpetual coma, he would hold the impulses untill so many gathered that the overload would be near-permanent.

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well as long as the techno babble is babbable (sp? lol)...then I'm sure everything will be fine

14. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    But you cant really pause nerve impulses, for one inside th enerves theyre electrical but without a steady source of potential difference, i cna hardily see why theyd resume if stopped since theyre split second differentiations. And for a seoncd point at synapses the signal is continued using neurotransmitter chemicals rather than impulses, and that would do something I'm sure.

Anyway it doenst matter, yor last explanation gave me enough meat to accept it as plausible, I may not agree wiht the details but its in the right direction.

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well you may be able to prevent an impulse from being sent in the first place if that counts....but I don't know how that would accumulate...if it even can.

16. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    And how does electric energy travel? On it's own I supose. What the antimatter particles stop are the electones, and the electrons can acumulate. And since every electron is of the same polar charge, and the pauses are less than picosecond long, and the wholle lot of them do not change their directions, sice each new impuls pushes the rest in it's proper path. Now, if the block would last longer, the electrons would spill into neighbouring, non neuronic cells, and thus the pathway would be broken.
    And I wary of discussing something that none of us know enough to properly understand. If it matters so much to you, find a nuclear physist.

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    but theres no way to be sure theres going to be another impulse along to push the pause forward, youd need two stimulations of the same nerve so unless the tactice response was doubled, and even then the buildup isnt going to be enough to knock someone out. The electric current is so infinitesimally small in each nerve cell it doesnt seem like it would be enough to KO anyone, remember KOing by, say, being punched in the face is the huge array of nerve imulses from every point of impact hitting at once as well as impact trauma on the brain, even slowing down the impulses in someone normally wouldnt accumulate to that much.